1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Discussing politics in family and in public

Discussion in 'House of Debates' started by steveox, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Texas_tea

Texas_tea Well-Known Member

And Republicans don't?

Who has ever benefited from a shorter work week other than democrat supporting slaves on the plantation?

How has Michelle Obama's agenda worked out for school children?

WTF is that ?

jbbarn likes this.
  2. steveox

steveox Well-Known Member

read on page one

3. TheJPRD

TheJPRD Active Member

The problem with most all Dems/liberals/progressives is that they lack objectivity, and most are not the least bit informed on the issues. Most can only deal in simple-minded little sound bites that feel relevant but aren't. If you have a Democrat family member who's objective, you can discuss politics civilly, and perhaps even change his/her mind IF you yourself are informed on the issues. Civility cannot be maintained with Democrat family members who are not objective and are not well informed on the issues. They'll simply feel stupid, and you'll become irritated with their lack of logical thinking. It can become personal, not good.

I have nobody left from my childhood family. My mother was a dedicated Democrat, she grew up loving FDR and in later life was a strong supporter of WV Senator Rockefeller Mom's strong point, however, was her willingness to discuss issues with an objective mind. In her final 15 years of life she voted Republican.

My sister was a different story. She took no interest in politics until she was in her late forties. At that time she began working for a Democrat-leaning law firm in DC, and in her fifties she worked as a personal assistant to one of the most powerful Democrat lobbyists in DC. She had photos of herself with Hillary Clinton, Barbara Streisand, and Martin Sheen prominently displayed in her home, and frequently received phone calls from Democrat bigwigs. She was a social whirlwind, but she knew virtually nothing about the issues other than the Democrat talking points. Civil discussions of politics between us weren't possible. Luckily, we had strong family bonds and loved one another. We simply avoided ALL discussion of politics.

Thank God for my sons, both of whom are conservative when it comes to most issues. They're informed on the issues and have objective and logical minds.

Carefully choose those family members with whom to discuss politics, and those with whom you should avoid the subject. An old man's advise based on experience.

4. GBFan

GBFan Well-Known Member

It is virtually impossible for a liberal and a conservative to have a meaningful political discussion. They come from two completely different directions, with little commonality at all.

Conservatives look at things as they ARE, recognize the foibles of the human spirit (but believe, given the opportunity, people will do the right thing), and deal in facts (both good and bad), and as such, try to develop processes and pathways to get to the end goal.

Liberals look at things as they PERCEIVE them to be, do not believe in the goodness of the human spirit and believe that people will inherently lie, cheat, and steal, and deal in emotions, rather than facts, and as such, believe that the only way to get to the end goal is for the government to mandate compliance.

AbeLincoln and jbbarn like this.
  5. Texas_tea

Texas_tea Well-Known Member

liberal-logic-101-432.jpg

How can this kind of insanity be dealt with using "meaningful political discussion"?

jbbarn likes this.
  6. steveox

steveox Well-Known Member

Look how Bill Oreilly deals with Liberals

Theres more this is how you deal with em

7. Cruella

Cruella Well-Known Member

I don't think family/public gatherings are a place to discuss politics and religion unless everyone is of like mind.

I would never be rude at someone else's home, but I also wouldn't partake of it, and probably decline any future invites. In my own home I would politely discourage it and change the subject.

8. dogtowner

dogtowner Moderator Staff Member

Seldom any good comes of it. Gor a person at work who likes to demonstrate their memorization of move on talking points. Just looks foolish and has slapped a not so clear glass ceiling on themselves as a result.

9. paf_2

paf_2 Member

Politics is one of the things I refuse to discuss with those outside my family. Why, because say what you want, but this is oen area where everyone, I don't care who you are is going to have a passionate view on. We are going to have our postion and no one is going to change our minds about it. This can usually lead to fights if individuals don't share the same viewpoints on politices. Believe it or not it is possible to be friends with someone not in your own political party, but in order to do this its usually necessary to leave the politics at the door.

10. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Member

I agree! It's amazing how much real physical havoc those peace lovin' libs can create! :cautious: I don't intentionally discuss politics with uninformed people at all, but when I'm discussing something with a friend or like-minded co-worker, and a liberal gets in my space, trying to wrestle the conversation away from us, he/she is fair game, and I will shut them down with sheer logic. That is the thing a liberal fears the most after all. :D

11. palerider

palerider Well-Known Member

Guess he doesn't have any experience in rural areas....out where I live, you see 15 year olds, and younger, driving tractors in the fields....loading hay on trailers....topping tobacco...helping with harvests....painting barns...etc...etc...etc. 15 is plenty old enough to help out and contribute to the family.

He has no concept of how business operates...no idea of what it costs to simply open the doors of a business...and who the hell want's to work 6 days a week? Hell, I would rather work 4 ten hour days....and if he wants to work a 36 hour week....4 eight hour days and a half day on friday would make a hell of a lot more sense. They don't realize that by putting extra expense on the backs of employers, they cause costs to rise which in turn causes prices to rise and like all liberal ideas, the end result hurts the people who can least afford it the most.

Again...liberal shortsightedness....that may be fine if you live in an urban setting and can easily get to whatever you need including work...what happens to folks like me who live out in the country?....11 miles to the nearest quickie mart...16 miles to work?.... Guess he thinks we should ride our bicycles to work even during the winter? They just don't seem to be able to think deeply enough through all these "great" ideas to see what terrible ideas they are and how much hardship they would cause for ordinary people.

Liberalism, and liberal ideas are about feeling good...about feeling like you have done something good even when you have done little more than increase the misery already heaped upon low income people.

jbbarn likes this.
  12. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Member

This is just dumb BullS***! I bought my car! I pay my wheel tax! I pay taxes to keep up the roads that I drive on! Who has the right to tell me that I can't drive MY car anywhere I want to, in MY country? This is why freedom loving people have trouble with the Democrats! It's also why Southerners have trouble with the oppression that comes primarily from the north!

13. AbeLincoln

AbeLincoln Member

Here's for fun with Steven Crowder , a political satirist, on Liberal filth.

14. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    Its not our fault you can understand shit thats so clear.

15. pocketfullofshells

pocketfullofshells Well-Known Member

land of 10,000 lakes and 2 senators again
    fantasy land I see