Your tax dollars at work

Who should inform the general public about possible risks?

I suggest you ask three questions, not just one.

1.) "Should anyone take it upon themselves to inform the general public about possible risks?"

2.) "Is there a reason why the government should take it upon themselves to inform the general public about possible risks?"

3.) "Is there a reason why the government should NOT take it upon themselves to inform the general public about possible risks?"

Werbung:
Every single person, 100%, no exceptions?

Of course not.

Explain to me why this is *my* problem?

So, we agree that not every single person will use them properly.

Do you also agree that there is a serious risk of injury or property damage when turkey fryers are not used properly?

So, we agree that not every single person will use them properly.

Do you also agree that there is a serious risk of injury or property damage when turkey fryers are not used properly?

there is a serious risk of injury and/or property damage in an endless array of scenarios. at the end of the day we're all responsible for our own actions. perhaps a troubling state of affairs to some but that's part of the deal living in a free country.

It would be a good idea to cut DHS's budget next year (I mean a real cut, not just a DC-style reduction in the rate of increase) by the amount they spent to send out these "warnings".

And then cut it some more, by the amounts they have spend doing other equally unnecessary "warnings".

They'd stop doing them pretty quickly. A win-win situation.

I'll do ya one step better: I see no reason for the entire DHS. It ought to be eliminated. It won't but it should.

p.s., Do you know that you cannot have a cabinet level department without a headquarters building? DHS is building one. It is bigger than the Pentagon.

I'll do ya one step better: I see no reason for the entire DHS. It ought to be eliminated. It won't but it should.

p.s., Do you know that you cannot have a cabinet level department without a headquarters building? DHS is building one. It is bigger than the Pentagon.

whoa... thats gonna be one BIG place. and why ? all the little agencies that make it up already are housed. money for nothing...

Again, explain to me why this is *my* problem?

And, is there a reason why the government should take it upon themselves to inform the general public about possible risks?

yup

I don't care.

What if some drunk neighbour set his turkey fryer up two feet away from your garage?

Again, explain to me why this is *my* problem?

And, is there a reason why the government should take it upon themselves to inform the general public about possible risks?

If some drunk neighbour set his turkey fryer up two feet away from your garage, then there is the very real possibility that you will end up with no garage.

there is a serious risk of injury and/or property damage in an endless array of scenarios. at the end of the day we're all responsible for our own actions. perhaps a troubling state of affairs to some but that's part of the deal living in a free country.

Crossing the street is one scenario. Government sets up laws so that we can do that safely. Should we also scrap traffic laws?

What if some drunk neighbour set his turkey fryer up two feet away from your garage?

he would be trespassing.

If some drunk neighbour set his turkey fryer up two feet away from your garage, then there is the very real possibility that you will end up with no garage.

which is why mortgage lenders require insurance. lots of ways for fires to occur. I'd be more concerned with kerosine heaters next door.

Crossing the street is one scenario. Government sets up laws so that we can do that safely. Should we also scrap traffic laws?

when did this become a discussion about laws ? did I miss something ?

Do you think they are unsafe?

--------------------------------------------------------

So, is the problem that the government is issuing safety information about unsafe appliances? Or is it that the wrong department of government is doing so?

Probably so that it can use social media to inform people about possible terrorist threats.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, is the problem that the government is issuing safety information about unsafe appliances or is it that the wrong department of government is doing so?

UL has made no effort to warn the general public. All it has done is explain to turkey fryer manufacturers that they will not certify their products.

In my mind the problem is that the department of homeland security is the wrong department. Is there a right department for this?

And UL did what it is supposed to do. Every single person buying any product that should be certified by UL should know not to buy a single product that is not certified. Not being certified is sufficient testimony for people to know. If it has the UL label it is more safe, if it does not have the label it is less safe - it is really that simple.

Who should inform the general public about possible risks?

The child's parents should inform him or her.

The adult informs himself. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that boiling oil is just as dangerous in a turkey fryer as it was 500 years ago poured over the side of a castle wall.

So, you are saying that there is a good reason to make sure that everyone using a turkey fryer is using it in a responsible manner.

Then how would people know how to use turkey fryers safely?

The only way the gov could make sure people use it safely would be to enforce draconian rules. Perhaps the turkey fryer regulators could stand behind the person while they are using it and step in to guide the persons hands when they are not being safe.

The gov should treat adults like adults and not like children.

Werbung:
You did say that they were safe if used as directed, right?

Okay. Do you think everyone is going to do this?

From what I have seen irresponsible people know what not to do but they do it anyway. Like the guy I know who used a paper cup full of gasoline as lighter fuel for a backyard barbecue.

yes there will always be irresponsible people. Most know what they do is stupid and they make tv shows about them called "jackass". Some are actually stupid.

If it is the gov role to "make sure" that stupid or irresponsible people are safe then we are all reduced to the state of children controlled by the nanny state.

Back