Why not a national sales tax instead?

Well, you are not alone. You get lots of different answers from a wide diversity of Americans in different situations. I don't think there is a single answer that everyone will think is fair. As politicians try to create their idea of a fair code, we now have a tax code of over 71 thousand pages. Can you imagine putting that on your bookshelf.

Wow! I knew it was big but I had no idea it was 71 thousand pages

I don't guess even if we came up with the perfect idea that we all agreed on our government would try to change :(

But it is still fun talking about it and I know from this thread alone some of my ideas have changed and some of my thinking

Werbung:

I don't guess even if we came up with the perfect idea that we all agreed on our government would try to change :(

But it is still fun talking about it and I know from this thread alone some of my ideas have changed and some of my thinking

I do appreciate your openness.

It has been very educational for me to see what different people are thinking. And I see most of the ideas here reflected in the deadlocked bickering congress is doing.

See? That is supposed to be how it works. Discuss things. Listen to the other person's points, think through one's own thoughts and put them forward in discussion, and in the end everyone moves closer together.

This idea of there being virtue in "Its my way or no way" is very, very unAmerican.

See? That is supposed to be how it works. Discuss things. Listen to the other person's points, think through one's own thoughts and put them forward in discussion, and in the end everyone moves closer together.

This idea of there being virtue in "Its my way or no way" is very, very unAmerican.

What an amazing reversal...

None of us are going to have our minds changed because of a brilliant post or some amazing new fact. None of us. We are all stubborn people who have reached our conclusions about politics for good and bad reasons.

I don't know that I have changed my mind as much as I was shown a couple of ideas. One that would help (three tier tax) and one that would hurt (retired peoples income not matching up with the new expenses. So... if a national sales tax happened those would be something to consider.

Well, you are not alone. You get lots of different answers from a wide diversity of Americans in different situations. I don't think there is a single answer that everyone will think is fair. As politicians try to create their idea of a fair code, we now have a tax code of over 71 thousand pages. Can you imagine putting that on your bookshelf.

WOW! If our society survives long enough, that monstrosity will be in a museum one day for people to wonder about and shake their heads at our foolishness.

Werbung:
I’m a proponent of shifting from our payroll and income taxes to a federal sales tax.
Transforming our entire major tax revenue source in a single step would be imprudent.
The possible advantages gained from a single step method doesn’t justify the proposed magnitude of risk. (Those who insist it be done in one step are insisting that it never be attempted).
I expect that after one of the incremental steps, the sales tax will approach an unacceptable rate and the transfer of tax revenues will be halted. Wealthier tax payers’ would pay both income and sales taxes; very few people pay income taxes.
If I’m incorrect, federal income taxes will be entirely eliminated,

Refer to the topic “Enacting a federal sales tax”.

Respectfully, Supposn

Back