Why did god give men foreskins?

Dawkinsrocks

He seems to be a big fan of mutilating new born babies mostly without anaesthetic to remove them

So why make males with foreskins in the first place?

I guess you just have to wonder at God's perfection don't you?

Yes, you really do have to wonder at it

Werbung:
Man has operated on many parts of the human body. There is no problem in God allowing this. Just sometimes people are mistaken why they intervene. When I was young boys were circumcised foe hygienic reasons not religious. Doctors were wrong then in believing it was necessary.Some Religions believe it is necessary acceding to their religion. but they may be prove wrong in the future

The bible advocates it

Would have made more sense to make males without foreskins

But then god is a genocidal maniac

If you believe in a god subject to human wisdom, you can call him what you like. However I do not presumed to tell God what he should have done. I am nor any man is God.

If you believe in a god subject to human wisdom, you can call him what you like. However I do not presumed to tell God what he should have done. I am nor any man is God.

I agree with this!
In fact, the reason why I am not a great partisan of religious affiliations is because I believe that RELIGIONS, ALL RELIGIONS, are MAN MADE, and instead of bringing us closer to the ONE UNIVERSAL and PERSONAL God, they attempts to place an image on God that is dependent (and therefore limited to) of Men's culture, time period, and intellectual limitations and bigotry.

I am a FIRM believer in God. And I was raised a Catholic (spend 12 years in Catholic schools, and had a lot of admiration for SOME of my teachers, especially the Jesuites). But I am sick of the limitations MEN MADE DOGMAS have placed on God.

I am comfortable with my own relationship with God whom I find within me, and on beaches, and in nature, a lot more frequently than I do in any church!

I do believe men made religions (all religions) do have positive sides. . .and that they are generally (if not too bigoted and narrow minded) a positive guideline for children and weak minded adults, but I refuse to bow to the dogmas of any Church, because I believe that, rather than to UNITE men in God, they tend to SEPARATE men based on those dogmas.

There, you have it! Probably a LOT MORE than what you were wanting to hear, but . . . I like to share my OPINION! (Never take it as an attempt to IMPOSE my opinion on anyone, please!)

Because God isn't real - its evolution and serves a purpose.
Its a religion dictating what people must do with their lives by conforming to these ridiculous requests.

I am comfortable with my own relationship with God whom I find within me, and on beaches, and in nature, a lot more frequently than I do in any church!
Your post is one of the more sane ones advocating God, from what I've seen. But I'm curious, can you tell me how you know that your above statement is not actually about your own inner conscience and/or self-talk?

When I ask myself a question like "how should I treat this person who lied to me?" I get a very moral, kind, and forgiving "answer" but I know it is my own conscience "talking to me". And certainly when I consider an observation that points to "god" like "how beautiful the sky is against the vastness of the ocean" I get a thought that the observation points to in the first place: "God is the Cause". But I know that is just my own inner fantasy about something that is hard to explain because I used to feel the same way about newborn babies but now I know about all those born with horrible, painful, debilitating conditions and very short lives ahead.

So again, how you know that your above statement is not actually about your own inner conscience and/or self-talk?

"God is the Cause". But I know that is just my own inner fantasy about something that is hard to explain because I used to feel the same way about newborn babies but now I know about all those born with horrible, painful, debilitating conditions and very short lives ahead.
Very true. (y)

Werbung:
I don't know why God would do such a thing, (giving men foreskins) but here is the reason I think Joshua is one of if not the greatest leaders of the Bible

When you think of great leaders of the Bible, you would most likely put Joshua in the ranks of such noted rulers and fighting men as David, Moses, Solomon, and so on. But I think Joshua may outdo all other leaders of the Bible for one thing. An act of service, leadership and sacrifice unparalleled in scope and scale from any time before or since. And I’ll bet you pass right over it every time you read the scripture.

Do you remember the place called Gibeath Haaraloth?

The story comes from the book of Joshua, chapter five, right before the Israelites march to defeat Jericho.

I’ll give you a hint . . .

Gibeath Haaraloth means the “Hill of Foreskins”.

Yeah, those foreskins.

Joshua 5:2 At that time the Lord said to Joshua, “Make flint knives and circumcise the Israelites again.”3 So Joshua made flint knives and circumcised the Israelites at Gibeath Haaraloth.4 Now this is why he did so: All those who came out of Egypt—all the men of military age—died in the desert on the way after leaving Egypt.5 All the people that came out had been circumcised, but all the people born in the desert during the journey from Egypt had not.6 The Israelites had moved about in the desert forty years until all the men who were of military age when they left Egypt had died, since they had not obeyed the Lord. For the Lord had sworn to them that they would not see the land that he had solemnly promised their fathers to give us, a land flowing with milk and honey.7 So he raised up their sons in their place, and these were the ones Joshua circumcised. They were still uncircumcised because they had not been circumcised on the way.8 And after the whole nation had been circumcised, they remained where they were in camp until they were healed.(NLT)

Yeah, I’ll bet. Ouch!

Now there’sa leader!

Can you imagine? Here comes your commanding officer, flint knife in his hand and a certain mischievous yet determined gleam in his eye, and he says, “Son, the Lord has called me to . . .”

WHAT

Hold on there, Cap’n! You’re gonna do what? To my where??

But, no! The men of Israel apparently didn’t ask at all. (You’d think it would be in there if they did, right?)

Joshua 5:2.5~ “And Shalemorlah, the leader of a hundred, whose name means “the one who wisheth to keep himself intact”, did stepeth forward and spake,Say what??

Not a one. They just went, “Umm, okay.”

I’ll say it again. Now there’sa leader!

So you can have your David’s, your Solomon’s and your Moses-es all you want. For one of the greatest leaders of the Bible, give me Joshua! A man of undeniable respect and influence. A man who held the fate of his soldiers in the palm of his hand (not to mention any hope of future generations.) A man who grabbed hold of his responsibilities, and cut to the quick the task at hand. Whose soldiers said nothing of letting it all hang out for their commander, leaving it all on the battlefield, even at the risk of becoming less of a man as a result.

Joshua, I salute you. Just stay away from me with that flint knife or the next time a rock is struck by a staff somethin’ stronger than water better be coming out!

Last edited:
Back