Who agrees with Europe´s choice to ban the death penalty?

Do you accept it?

• I do; we eliminate the ones who would destroy our own lives

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No; killing is wrong. We cannot stoop to the level of the murderer..

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No comment.

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters

Neutral Evil

I do not. I firmly believe in it. We must execute those who kill others, or we risk creating the impression that it´s acceptable to. Never mind how people feel about the death penalty, it´s a necessary form of punishment that keeps society safe. A pity European countries have forgotten this. They would save so many resources and set a firmer example if criminals were executed.

(please standby. I did not phrase the poll questions correctly in my haste. I will contact the adminstrator to fix this.

Werbung:
No one has the right to kill anyone.

Wrong. A "mother" can kill her baby at any time she likes as long as it is in the womb or birth canal in many nations in the world.

And Cuba under Castro kills all kinds of people....for nothing more than saying Fidel is an A**HOLE!!!!

No one has the right to kill anyone.
There is a right of self defense. What the death penalty is, is the government trying to defend its citizens.
However, there are many problems with the American system. There innocent people being sentenced to death. The fact that our system is more of a lottery than an actual certainty of death, thus virtually eliminates any deterrent value. The fact that poor, black are more likely to be actually executed. Etc., etc.

I used to think I was in favor of the death penalty. No more. Here's why:

1. the number of innocent people who have been convicted of crimes. The Innocence Project has already proven over 200 people innocent.

2. The cost. It is more expensive to execute a prisoner than to keep him in jail for life.

3. The power. The government does not need to have power of life and death over citizens, not for any reason.

4. The time. By the time a prisoner is executed, he's typically already been in prison for decades. How is that a deterrent?

5. The relative severity of punishment. Why is a painless death worse punishment than being locked up for the rest of your life? What could possibly be worse than being locked up alone in a little cell for 23 hours per day?

As for the death penalty in Europe, that is for the Europeans to decide. As for America, I am in favor of abolishing it.

Some people need to die. Some people's crimes are just so off the register that they should be taken out the backdoor of the courthouse and slaughtered. And with genetic testing nowadays the margins for error are slim enough that "beyond reasonable doubt" should be pretty tight.

I'm not really interested in the "moral dimension" to be honest. Governments sanction murder all the time be it in war zones or arms sales so they're already down and dirty so why not make good use of the facility!

Would love to have re-introduced back in the UK.

Some people need to die. Some people's crimes are just so off the register that they should be taken out the backdoor of the courthouse and slaughtered. And with genetic testing nowadays the margins for error are slim enough that "beyond reasonable doubt" should be pretty tight.

I'm not really interested in the "moral dimension" to be honest. Governments sanction murder all the time be it in war zones or arms sales so they're already down and dirty so why not make good use of the facility!

Would love to have re-introduced back in the UK.

How about the Lockerbie bomber? Should he be executed rather than released to live a life of luxury?

I used to think I was in favor of the death penalty. No more. Here's why:

1. the number of innocent people who have been convicted of crimes. The Innocence Project has already proven over 200 people innocent.

2. The cost. It is more expensive to execute a prisoner than to keep him in jail for life.

3. The power. The government does not need to have power of life and death over citizens, not for any reason.

4. The time. By the time a prisoner is executed, he's typically already been in prison for decades. How is that a deterrent?

5. The relative severity of punishment. Why is a painless death worse punishment than being locked up for the rest of your life? What could possibly be worse than being locked up alone in a little cell for 23 hours per day?

As for the death penalty in Europe, that is for the Europeans to decide. As for America, I am in favor of abolishing it.
Re: Number 5.
Not all prisoners seem to suffer in a life in prison. Some establish themselves in a position of power withing the prison inmate society, victimizing other prisoners. Some will kill a guard (guard Jack Budd, Jackson Prison in Michigan, Christine McCullough, guard rapped and murdered in the same prison). In short, life in prison can mean business as usual, committing crimes against the weaker and taking advantage of opportunity.
However, I agree about a "painless death". If the death penalty should return, the nonsense of lethal injection should be abolished and go back to "cruel, but usual" long drop on a short rope.
So, it would seem that life in prison has its problems as an alternative to the death penalty.

Re: Number 5.
Not all prisoners seem to suffer in a life in prison. Some establish themselves in a position of power withing the prison inmate society, victimizing other prisoners. Some will kill a guard (guard Jack Budd, Jackson Prison in Michigan, Christine McCullough, guard rapped and murdered in the same prison). In short, life in prison can mean business as usual, committing crimes against the weaker and taking advantage of opportunity.
However, I agree about a "painless death". If the death penalty should return, the nonsense of lethal injection should be abolished and go back to "cruel, but usual" long drop on a short rope.
So, it would seem that life in prison has its problems as an alternative to the death penalty.

I think things are quite different in a supermax. What I've read about Charles Manson, for example, is that he is by himself in a small cell for 23 hours per day, and by himself or maybe with a guard in an exercise yard the other hour. How he could conduct business as usual, or any business at all under such conditions is hard to imagine.

I think things are quite different in a supermax. What I've read about Charles Manson, for example, is that he is by himself in a small cell for 23 hours per day, and by himself or maybe with a guard in an exercise yard the other hour. How he could conduct business as usual, or any business at all under such conditions is hard to imagine.

Oh? You had better look at this:
http://www.carpenoctem.tv/killers/manson.html

It seems that he and others are quite busy in prison.

What does that have to do with what he has been doing since he was put in the supermax?
And what effect does the few inmates that can be afforded to be kept in supermax have on the fact that prisoners continue to rape and murder in the rest of the prison system?

And what effect does the few inmates that can be afforded to be kept in supermax have on the fact that prisoners continue to rape and murder in the rest of the prison system?

The same as the effect of the few inmates that have actually been executed has on the rape and murder in the rest of the prison system.

Werbung:
Neutral Evil said:
I do not. I firmly believe in it
I only believe in it IF ITS FOUND TO BE 100% THE RIGHT PERSON!!

Too often they innocently kill the wrong person!! (Its happend many times)

Back