White Evangelicals and Trmp

Old_Trapper70

This guy gets it as millions of others do. Too bad you folks don't:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/16/white-evangelical-christians-vote-trump

"But the words of Jesus are apparently worthless to people who are angry that immigrants might be made citizens without suffering enough. If you want your impoverished neighbor’s insulin supply cruelly torn away from her on the extremely slim chance that it might make your own monthly health insurance premiums go down, you will find little validation in the Sermon on the Mount. If you want to halt immigration for people who are fleeing persecution, you will have some trouble with the God of Zechariah, who tells you in so many words, “[D]o not oppress the widow or the orphan, the stranger or the poor; and do not devise evil in your hearts against one another.”

Why must an abused child be forced to carry another child to term? Why shouldn’t women be able to easily access birth control or surgeries that will prevent them from dying of sepsis? I can’t find answers for these questions in my Bible.

Perhaps white Christians simply gave ourselves the extravagant gift of forgetfulness before entering the voting booth. Perhaps we simply didn’t care. A map circulated on Twitter showing all but one state blue, illustrating the youth vote, but I confess I find it cold comfort. Older voters can always be relied upon to value themselves and their bruised feelings over the arc of history, because they will depart from history sooner. They won’t need their portfolios and 401(k)s when the New York Stock Exchange is under water. And they don’t seem to care about those who will, especially if those people don’t look and sound like them."

Werbung:
Back