Which one do you think is the greatest war movie in history?

sam001

As The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds fight it out for Best Picture, TIME's Richard Corliss takes a look at cinema's 10 greatest war flicks
These days, war is swell — at least for the Motion Picture Academy members who choose the Oscar nominees. Of the 10 films on the not-so-short list for Best Picture, two prime contenders, The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds, find their grittiest kicks in the spectacle of men at war: the suicidal heroism they display trying to defuse a Baghdad bomb, the patriotic sadism some American Jewish soldiers show as they scalp men in the Army of the Third Reich. You could say that Avatar is not just a war movie but a call to insurgency against the U.S. military; the long final act of James Cameron's epic prods audiences to cheer for the bloody victory of Pandorans over American mercenaries. The South African sci-fi adventure District 9 takes the side of illegal aliens — grotty extraterrestrials, that is — against the white humans who have herded them into camps.

Napoléon (1927, Abel Gance) — the Napoleonic wars

The Birth of a Nation (1915, D.W. Griffith) — U.S. Civil War

http://forum.globaltimes.cn/forum/showthread.php?t=14089

Werbung:
Band of Brothers is my favorite. Being based on actual events, technical accuracy, good acting, realism. This movie has it all.

the Patriot
Braveheart
Gangs of New York (showed how the North really felt about the Civil War)

I liked the Patriot, but that scene where the evil British officer shoots the little boy in the back was too much. No Brit officer would shoot a child in the back. The movie lost me after that. But, no movie is perfect.

And, I seem to recall many in the UK were very upset about the movie when it was released because of that scene. It was not necessary, not historically accurate, and typical overreaching by Hollywood.

I liked the Patriot, but that scene where the evil British officer shoots the little boy in the back was too much. No Brit officer would shoot a child in the back. The movie lost me after that. But, no movie is perfect.

And, I seem to recall many in the UK were very upset about the movie when it was released because of that scene. It was not necessary, not historically accurate, and typical overreaching by Hollywood.

the officer would have an underling do it ? they were quite brutal in the south as it proved a tough nut to crack. sure liberties were taken, they always are.

I don't know about "the greatest" or the "best". That's subjective but if you haven't seen "A Walk in the Sun" you will have missed a real look at combat. The film was finished in 1943 but the War Department asked that it not be released until I think early 1945 because of the negative effect it could have on the troops. Netflix has it and you can see it on your computer.

Werbung:
Back