Where's the accountability?

Bob707

Public figures, whether they be politicians, political operatives, business leaders, news programs, or even talk show hosts, should be held more accountable to support their assertions about people and issues. A case in point, is President Obama's press conference after the mid-term elections. He very clearly indicated that he would prefer a legislative vote by the Senate and House on an immigration reform bill that he could sign. If the Republican leadership could not produce such a bill within a reasonable time, then he would do as much as legally possible on this issue through Executive Order. Comments and reaction on the President's remarks from Republican leaders like McConnell and Boehner disregard the President's willingness to wait for legislation to sign.They speak as if the President indicated that he is bent on acting on his own. For the good of progress on these and other controversial issues facing our country, inaccurate and misleading statements should be questioned and challenged on the spot, so as to provide clarity for the listener and ultimate voter. A side note: Could it be that the Republican leadership have no real intention of bringing up serious and comprehensive legislation, and that they see Obama as a threat to their goal of having nothing but punitive measures taking up on this issue? I hope that Latinos will continue see the Democratic Party as an honest broker on this issue.

Werbung:
I agree. Obama should be forthright in noting he would only consider a bill stating exactly what he wants.
Clearly this will not happen.
But congress could send a bill acceptable to the will of the citizens they represent and make him come clean.

For the good of progress on these and other controversial issues facing our country, inaccurate and misleading statements should be questioned and challenged on the spot, so as to provide clarity for the listener and ultimate voter.

All statements are questioned in this country, all viewpoints are represented to some degree...the President's Party got it's butt kicked. Better luck next time.

All statements are questioned in this country, all viewpoints are represented to some degree...the President's Party got it's butt kicked. Better luck next time.
Your response ignores the reality that many public statements, comments, and assertions are left unchallenged and ignored. This results in an ignorant, confused, and disenchanted electorate. This country needs honesty and integrity in its political debate.

Your response ignores the reality that many public statements, comments, and assertions are left unchallenged and ignored. This results in an ignorant, confused, and disenchanted electorate. This country needs honesty and integrity in its political debate.
While this would be the prefered approach I dont think it would impact the bulk of the electorate as it choses ignorance. They do tend to act more on "am I better off than I was 4 yrs ago ?". The particulars being unimportant. Of course they may be jaded by realizing nobody is being truthful but govt has never been otherwise.

Obama has no intentions of working with a Republican congress on immigration. He's already said he is going to do it by fiat before the end of the year. The new Congress doesn't even take control until after the first of the year.

Obama has no intentions of working with a Republican congress on immigration. He's already said he is going to do it by fiat before the end of the year. The new Congress doesn't even take control until after the first of the year.
please note nervous dems like Landriux are siding with the gop now. Congress knows the tide has turned and risking further ire from the public is very damaging.
anything is possible now.

Werbung:
Back