Whats not to love about wind power ?

In a PBS documentary on "alternative energy", they had an item about a michigan farmer who installed a windmill. Cost: $25,000. Electrical output (when the wind is blowing): 60 watts - an underpowered light bulb. :D
Only 60 watts???

"Wind Turbine Industries
Manufacturer of the Jacobs wind turbines. They are an upwind, horizontal axis. There are five models available: 10 kw to 20 kw.www.windturbine.net/ -"

Wind Turbines are a viable alternative to fossil fuel generated power.

Werbung:
Don't be too hard on pockets. He is our beloved resident liberal and we must try to understand him. He is an expert at presenting the Left's position on all things.

I find it most enlightening. Though much is rather typical.

And Doctor, I do appreciate your efforts at civility. I know I have been guilty of much incivility here. I shall try to do better.

Thank you for the compliment, I think it reflects more on you and your ability to be gracious than on me and whether or not I deserve it.

Aside from that I do wish we had more liberals on this site. There are too few for really good debates. I bet if we all focused on debating fairly and with civility more people would join.

Only 60 watts???

"Wind Turbine Industries
Manufacturer of the Jacobs wind turbines. They are an upwind, horizontal axis. There are five models available: 10 kw to 20 kw.www.windturbine.net/ -"

Wind Turbines are a viable alternative to fossil fuel generated power.

Those numbers sound more accurate.

But still not anywhere near enough to power the needs of a nation. It just can't be done reasonably with wind.

Thank you for the compliment, I think it reflects more on you and your ability to be gracious than on me and whether or not I deserve it.

Aside from that I do wish we had more liberals on this site. There are too few for really good debates. I bet if we all focused on debating fairly and with civility more people would join.

Thank you.

Regarding liberals here at the HOP, we have several. Most do not readily admit to being liberal and some try to hide the fact they are liberal.

has anyone ever said use only windmills? I doubt anyone serious has.

The topic of the thread and the OP makes this a discussion about windmills.

OK, then, now that you bring it up.

The use of all alternative fuels is not a viable option compared to using fossil fuels at this time.

Maybe someday in the future alternatives could replace some, most, or all fossil fuel use but at this time coercing change is not a practical way to get there and it would create more damage than is justified. I have no objection to continued development of these alternatives on an experimental level.

The topic of the thread and the OP makes this a discussion about windmills.

OK, then, now that you bring it up.

The use of all alternative fuels is not a viable option compared to using fossil fuels at this time.

Maybe someday in the future alternatives could replace some, most, or all fossil fuel use but at this time coercing change is not a practical way to get there and it would create more damage than is justified. I have no objection to continued development of these alternatives on an experimental level.
Solar, geothermal, nuclear, tides, waves. Why do you just assume, "alternate fuels"?

Solar, geothermal, nuclear, tides, waves. Why do you just assume, "alternate fuels"?

I guess I was unclear and maybe don't know the definition of "alternative".

I meant all of those.

Geothermal, hydro, tides, waves, are impractical to supply huge amounts of power by natural limitations. Nuclear is impractical due to political limitations.

Solar and wind are the only two that stand a chance of competing with oil and they are light years from being ready to do that.

Ask the good people of Falmouth MASS

Even with the fact that it will take 20 years to pay for this thing that may not last that long the real problem is the noise.

Isn't regulated huh ? Sounds like the fix was in.

Its bad news when these sort of libs turn on a lib thing. OK maybe more like funny. More feelgood placebos.

Oh the horror of ear plugs.
Radiation exposure and thyroid cancer are vastly preferable to wearing unfashionable ear plugs.

Werbung:
I guess I was unclear and maybe don't know the definition of "alternative".
Yet you keep posting about it.
I meant all of those.

Geothermal, hydro, tides, waves, are impractical to supply huge amounts of power by natural limitations. Nuclear is impractical due to political limitations.
Let me help you.

If 10 was the current electrical need provided by fossil fuels, then think as wind =1 + solar =1 + geo-thermal =1 + tides =1 + hydro = 1 + bio-mass =1, for a total of 6.
Then your total need from fossil fuels (oil) is only 4. In other words, alternative sources can reduce out use of oil (costly), and coal (smog, acid rain).

Back