What does the attack on Paris mean?

Werbung:
I agree that the moderates are hard to find at the moment. But when IS is defeated some one will want to take over. We will have to negotiate with someone. It might be the Kurds but they would want land. It might be the position to Assad but I think we might have to negotiate with many groups both Sunnies and Shites..

I agree that the moderates are hard to find at the moment. But when IS is defeated some one will want to take over. We will have to negotiate with someone. It might be the Kurds but they would want land. It might be the position to Assad but I think we might have to negotiate with many groups both Sunnies and Shites..
Better to seek out anyone who opts to eschew a Muslim state Ala Turkey.

Someone will indeed want to take their place....and those people will be "moderates" because....?

What exactly are you envisioning here - just negotiating to say "hey we are talking"? What exactly do you want to see accomplished in Syria for example? Who are the ones you think would make that happen?

Saying "let's negotiate with moderates" is not foreign policy.

Last edited:
Someone will indeed want to take their place....and those people will be "moderates" because....?

What exactly are you envisioning here - just negotiating to say "hey we are talking"? What exactly do you want to see accomplished in Syria for example? Who are the ones you think would make that happen?

Saying "let's negotiate with moderates" is not foreign policy.
Feel good platitudes sound nice but only wish full thinking. Moderates do not have the stomach to battle lunatics for power.

While it might be had to find moderates, one day we will have to leave Syria and Iraq. WE can not choose who to negotiate with like in Iraq. Getting rid of all sunnies and leaving Shia is power is not negotiating but dictating. We might like a Secular state like Turkey but I am not sure any of the combatants in Syria want this. Perhaps the Kurds , but they will demand pat of Turkey this is not possible. To leave Assad in power for a while we give us time. But in the end the anti Assad forces will demand he go.

This leaves his opposition. These are mainly Sunni supported by Saudi Arabia. Is this good as Saudi Arabia is a old fashion dictatorship. It is currently involve in a war in Yeman. An independent Syria that is able to cater for both Shia and Sunnies is the better alternative . We should be working towards this now.

There were similar divisions in Northern Ireland. But eventually Catholic and Protestants did agree to share government. In many countries Sunnies and Shia shared the same Mosques

I think it was Religion that play the leading part in the Irish waR, It is only the Protestant majority that kept Northern Ireland as pat of Britain or UK<

I think it was Religion that play the leading part in the Irish waR, It is only the Protestant majority that kept Northern Ireland as pat of Britain or UK<
Part of Britan is the issue.
The Irish want their republic restored. England shipped scots over to stuff the ballot boxes.
They happen to be non catholic because Henry wanted a divorce and Rome said no.

Does this include the Saudi royal family?
Start with the small fish . . .

Come to think of it, it wouldn't make a huge difference. When their interests are aligned the Saudis will support and fund terrorists. Apparently that's because every nation in the Middle East has some terrorist group that does their dirty work when they want something like that done:

Saudi Arabia - Al Qaeda and it's affiliates.
Iran - Hezbollah
Israel - Mojahedin-e-Khalq
Qatar - Hamas, Al Nusra

The US has also in the past funded terrorist organizations. As long as terrorists can be a tool for any nation the war against terrorism never will be won.

Reddie , It is true terrorist groups were supported by many nations. Did not George Washington lead a terrorist group against Britain.
However While there is some proof that Saudi Arabia finance Arab terrorist groups so does Turkey who buys IS oil
As Walter said any US support for terrorists in the Middle East has hurt the US.

Werbung:
Back