What do you see as the role of government ?

dogtowner

Staff member
Kind of got off into this area in another thread but I thought it might deserve it's own platform.

I'm intentionally avoiding a poll a that presents bias on my part Same wth any other form of suggestion.

So whats it for (if anything) ?
(Lets try to avoid disagreements about what our government or some other one is doing that it should not or not doing that it should, we do that all the time.)

For me...

At the national level, you need a military, a judicial structure pertaining to interstate matters and the very few federal ones, a legislative structure and an executive to balalnce the checks and balances. The overall goal is the protection of rights all of which shall be stated and for me thats life, liberty and property. You need to make treaties with other countries but not pursuant to trade, govt is not in the business of business. Not totally unlike what the US has but far more limited.

At the state level, you need an intrastate judicial, a legislative and executive with the main goal of supporting the same rights.

At the local level, much the same.

As this stuff costs money, the power to tax is implicit. The judicial wil keep it fair, the elected legislature will keep it reasonable. At all levels the peope wil retain the right to generate ballot petitions to keep the legialature honest.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, I*' also sure some will feel that I've forgotten things that I did not. But perhaps its a start.

So what say ye ?

Werbung:
Kind of got off into this area in another thread but I thought it might deserve it's own platform.

I'm intentionally avoiding a poll a that presents bias on my part Same wth any other form of suggestion.

So whats it for (if anything) ?
(Lets try to avoid disagreements about what our government or some other one is doing that it should not or not doing that it should, we do that all the time.)

For me...

At the national level, you need a military, a judicial structure pertaining to interstate matters and the very few federal ones, a legislative structure and an executive to balalnce the checks and balances. The overall goal is the protection of rights all of which shall be stated and for me thats life, liberty and property. You need to make treaties with other countries but not pursuant to trade, govt is not in the business of business. Not totally unlike what the US has but far more limited.

At the state level, you need an intrastate judicial, a legislative and executive with the main goal of supporting the same rights.

At the local level, much the same.

As this stuff costs money, the power to tax is implicit. The judicial wil keep it fair, the elected legislature will keep it reasonable. At all levels the peope wil retain the right to generate ballot petitions to keep the legialature honest.

I'm sure I'm forgetting things, I*' also sure some will feel that I've forgotten things that I did not. But perhaps its a start.

So what say ye ?

Federal government has to provide us health insurance, a wage we can live comfortably on, retirement funds, a clean environment, money for us when we're unemployed, medical care, and education to understand why it's good for the Fed to do all those things.

The government is responsible for security and enforcing contracts. Hence, it has a military, police, and civil and criminal courts.

Not much beyond that.

In a rational society, government should be such a minimal institution that it almost never makes the news.

Regarding the Federal government...its all spelled out in the Constitution.

Lets follow it and stop all this Liberal BS.

Lets say we were starting from stratch, any changes ?

No.

A Constitutional Republic is the best form of government...if the Constitution is actually followed unlike today.

A very limited federal government allows for the states and local governments to have greater authority and accountability to the voters.

Werbung:
No.

A Constitutional Republic is the best form of government...if the Constitution is actually followed unlike today.

A very limited federal government allows for the states and local governments to have greater authority and accountability to the voters.

agreed. but note i did not include postal service.

Back