we got "ocean" problems

dogtowner

Staff member
read

and these guys want to do something about it.

and they are right they're severely over fished and full of crap. and there are a LOT of people who rely on them to eat and when there are no more fish they'll come somewhere for food (remember Ireland ?) and there will be nowhere to go. trouble brewing...

trouble is I have no faith that "science" can help as it's developed its own agendas.

we need to do something just don't know if this is it.

see what you think...

The World Bankwas on Friday to propose a coalition of governments, global organisations and other groups to protect the oceans, aiming to raise $1.5 billion in the next five years for the purpose.

World Bank president Robert Zoellick was to tell a global conference in Singapore that the new partnership would bring together various groups to confront problems of over-fishing, marine degradation and loss of habitat.

"The world's oceans are in danger, and the enormity of the challenge is bigger than one country or organisation," Zoellick, who is in Singapore for the World Oceans Summit, was expected to say, according to prepared remarks released by the World Bank ahead of his speech.

"We need coordinated global action to restore our oceans to health. Together we'll build on the excellent work already being done to address the threats to oceans, identify workable solutions, and scale them up."

"So today, I want to propose a new approach -- an unprecedented Global Partnership for Oceans," he added.

Zoellick said the coalition "will bring together countries, scientific centers, NGOs, international organisations, foundations and the private sector to pool knowledge, experience, expertise, and investment around a set of agreed upon goals."

Werbung:
I see this as another link in the chain of environmental globalization.

not questioning that but the problem is world wide and more importantly, real.
what I don't want is wonton waste of money that accomplishes nothing but pay stunning salaries to Word Bank people.

Hey, I'm all for conservation - but living in Ca and seeing what liberal policies and environmentalists have done to our economy, just to protect a smelt fish, not to mention literally putting the "bread basket" of America at risk.

I wonder why more people (Countries) don't farm more fish, especially those with extensive coast lines.
I read where a tuna fish can lay as many as 6,000,000 eggs each time she spawns. It seems to me it wouldn't be that hard to increase their numbers faily rapidly.

Hey, I'm all for conservation - but living in Ca and seeing what liberal policies and environmentalists have done to our economy, just to protect a smelt fish, not to mention literally putting the "bread basket" of America at risk.

I wonder why more people (Countries) don't farm more fish, especially those with extensive coast lines.
I read where a tuna fish can lay as many as 6,000,000 eggs each time she spawns. It seems to me it wouldn't be that hard to increase their numbers faily rapidly.

yeah thats why I can't trust "science" to come up with solutions. its sort of a catch-22 situation for me.

not all fish lend themselves to aquaculture and its harder than it seems. open water is difficult as you have to pen them in to be able to harvest. old school aqua was worse as the pens are quite small and the fish all become "bottom feeders" if you take my meaning. Talapia farm great which is why they are everywhere.

Its really just a matter of over harvesting. People love lots of choices on the menu and don't seem to care that this increases spoilage loss (but may complain about how expensive seafood is).

I keep looking for a sensible answer and not finding one. And the clock is ticking.

We could cooperate and do something about the degradation of the oceans, or, we could stick our collective heads in the sand and hope the problem will go away. I'm betting on the latter, of course, as that is humankind's normal reaction to global problems.

There is nothing really new here. The Atlantic cod, an important food fish, has been in decline for some time due to over fishing, coral reefs are disappearing, and then there is that huge garbage deposit in the Pacific. There are many examples of negative effects of human activities on the oceans.

We could cooperate and do something about the degradation of the oceans, or, we could stick our collective heads in the sand and hope the problem will go away. I'm betting on the latter, of course, as that is humankind's normal reaction to global problems.

There is nothing really new here. The Atlantic cod, an important food fish, has been in decline for some time due to over fishing, coral reefs are disappearing, and then there is that huge garbage deposit in the Pacific. There are many examples of negative effects of human activities on the oceans.

Not a good plan to put this off until millions of starving people come after you.

Could you tell us what your plan is? I would really like to know.

You didn't ask me but I'll respond anyway : )

Reel in (no pun intended) harvests. Since I don't believe we can know what the right amount is lets start with 25% reduction of everything. Try that for a year and see if we can tell any difference, adjust accordingly.

No more garbage skows. The oceans are not landfills. Recycle what you can and burn the rest.

Thats a start.

You didn't ask me but I'll respond anyway : )

Reel in (no pun intended) harvests. Since I don't believe we can know what the right amount is lets start with 25% reduction of everything. Try that for a year and see if we can tell any difference, adjust accordingly.

No more garbage skows. The oceans are not landfills. Recycle what you can and burn the rest.

Thats a start.

Not that it's not a better plan than simply sitting back and doing nothing while blaming "environmental whackos" or whoever else is handy, which is what is most likely to happen, but wouldn't that be what Cruella called "another link in the chain of environmental globalization"?

The UN was looking to take control over the worlds oceans by establishing itself as the governing body regarding all international waters. I first heard about that a couple years ago when I started looking into seasteading. If the UN gains control of international waters, seasteading could never achieve their goal of political autonomy, so it's an important issue to seasteaders that threatens to kill the entire movement. Ironically enough, I think a large scale seasteading movement would dramatically improve the conditions of the worlds oceans as they focus on using aquaculture, alternative power, and the recycling of floating debris fields as part of creating self sustaining seasteads.

Not that it's not a better plan than simply sitting back and doing nothing while blaming "environmental whackos" or whoever else is handy, which is what is most likely to happen, but wouldn't that be what Cruella called "another link in the chain of environmental globalization"?

possibly but this need not be a means of ceding ownership but rather show effected countries the result of the status quo.

not familiar with Gen's "seasteading", need to look into that.

possibly but this need not be a means of ceding ownership but rather show effected countries the result of the status quo.

not familiar with Gen's "seasteading", need to look into that.
As the Usa is the only major country not to have a carbon Tax, I doubt it would spend much money on cleaning up our oceans

Werbung:
As the Usa is the only major country not to have a carbon Tax, I doubt it would spend much money on cleaning up our oceans

there is considerable doubt over global warming (and more every week) but all you need to do is look at the offerings in the fish market compared to when you were a kid to see the effect.

take blue crabs right here in Virginia, when I was a kid they threw back ones less than thw width of your outstretches fingers as needing to grow up and ones 10-12 inches across were common. You couldn't find a crab that large today if you tried and <6" is the norm. Even the dungeness crabs from the pacific are visibly smaller. Flounders we caught in neighboring North Carolina under a foot got released now its a red letter day to find one that large. If you can catch one at all. And thats not even scratching the surface.

I hope you are wrong but moreso I hope that it does not become an excuse to tax. taxing helps nothing.

Back