US First Muslim Representative

qalam

With a few short words, Rep. Keith Ellison had just stunned a joint session of Congress.

Last March, Jordan's King Abdullah II had concluded his address in the House chambers with the traditional Arabic salutation, "as-salaam 'aleikum," which means, "Peace be unto you."

Ellison, a freshman Democrat from Minnesota and the first Muslim in Congress, instinctively replied, "wa 'aleikum as-salaam" -- "And to you be peace."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0607/4555.html

An interesting piece about a controversial rep.

Werbung:
With a few short words, Rep. Keith Ellison had just stunned a joint session of Congress.

Last March, Jordan's King Abdullah II had concluded his address in the House chambers with the traditional Arabic salutation, "as-salaam 'aleikum," which means, "Peace be unto you."
Ellison, a freshman Democrat from Minnesota and the first Muslim in Congress, instinctively replied, "wa 'aleikum as-salaam" -- "And to you be peace."
An interesting piece about a controversial rep.

Do you have a problem with Ellison because he's a muslim
in Congress? Maybe instead of criticizing learn what
Assalaam Alakium means. There is two meanings for the
saying.

After reviewing your post you seem to have a hang up about
how Muslims open and close their conversations. Look at the
opening and closing of meetings for other religious groups,
and yet you are dwelling on one group.

What's your point?

saying.

What's your point?

I don't think he meant anything negative by it. He was just bringing it up because it's interesting.

Now you see why uneducated voters are stupid in america. Its because they allow welfare people to vote. This is exactly why we gotta pay for stupid kinds of sales taxes in local communities.If i was prersident id introduce a bill to change voting laws.Heres how i would clean up this mess.

1.You must be 21 years old in order to vote.
2.You must have ether a high school diploma or must be employed.
3.You cannot be an illegal alien and must be an legal US Citizen.

Now if we had these 3 requirements we wouldnt be paying for stupid taxes and having stupid representives in office. Now i truly belive Nikolai Volkoff was right when he called USA stands for is this

USELESS
STUBORN
AMERICANS

Now if we had these 3 requirements we wouldnt be paying for stupid taxes and having stupid representives in office

... or be driving down paved roads that rain drains off or having EMTs resuscitate you when you have an accident or have an organized power grid issuring quality electrical delivery or even a modicum of quality of life one finds in advanced industrialized nations. Yes, let me keep my money and lets pattern our infrastructure and nation's wealth on low taxed places like Guatemala or maybe Cambodia.

saying.

What's your point?

I have NO prob with Ellison! Yoiu need to reread! The only point I was trying to make was to open a discussion, if that is impossible then we can move on. Try reading I never said I have prob. that is in your little mind.

I have NO prob with Ellison! Yoiu need to reread! The only point I was trying to make was to open a discussion, if that is impossible then we can move on. Try reading I never said I have prob. that is in your little mind.

I am well qualified to understand what you posted.
Thereforth (including myself) when posting explain
statements a little more clear.

I am the first to admit that I have problems with
people who try to attack my faith and belief. and
I am very much on the defensive side when it
comes to defending non-senses against my people
of faith.

I recall when Ellison first announced that he was
running for congress. The negative posts that
sprung up on different forums against Ellison, and
its still happening.

So your reactions to my reply showed me your point,
and that's why I replied like I did to you.
Again, this is something that I have always said on
any forum that I sign onto. Think before you type a
post, and then post exactly what you are thinking.

This prevents a lots of arguing and mis-understanding.

Now in closing to show YOU how humble I am, and have
acceptances. If you felt that I was wrong for expressing
my concerns, and it plucked your feathers. I do apologize.

But I will always come to the defense of a fellow Brother
or Sister Muslim. Knowing how many Americans feel about
Muslims since 9-11.

This reminds me of the attitudes that put Americans of Japanese descent into internment camps. It's shameful.

The more things change...the more they stay the same I guess:rolleyes:

Well that's a hell of a stretch and a shameful tactic aimed at ending the debate without any kind of argument.

Nowhere did I hint that prejudice against Muslims is justified, but it only makes sense that people would be more suspicious of Muslim-looking people -- they're the ones who pose the biggest threat to this country. For instance, when you get on a plane do you feel a bit more nervous when you see a group of 25 year old Muslim males or when you see a group of 75 year old white, American women?

Well that's a hell of a stretch and a shameful tactic aimed at ending the debate without any kind of argument.

Nowhere did I hint that prejudice against Muslims is justified, but it only makes sense that people would be more suspicious of Muslim-looking people -- they're the ones who pose the biggest threat to this country. For instance, when you get on a plane do you feel a bit more nervous when you see a group of 25 year old Muslim males or when you see a group of 75 year old white, American women?

It wasn't aimed at you specifically but think about it.

Isn't this very remeniscent of the attitudes then? The suspicion? People forgetting that these folks are AMERICAN's first - just like the Japanese Americans?

They are AMERICANS.

I guess it's just human nature, and that saddens me.:(

It wasn't aimed at you specifically but think about it.

Isn't this very remeniscent of the attitudes then? The suspicion? People forgetting that these folks are AMERICAN's first - just like the Japanese Americans?

They are AMERICANS.

I guess it's just human nature, and that saddens me.:(

Fair enough. One important thing though that rarely gets mentioned is that the Japanese (and Koreans) enlisted in the military in huge numbers during that time as a way to prove their patriotism. You don't see Muslims doing that. The Muslims don't make any attempts at assimilating into American culture so it's hard for me to see them as "Americans first".

First off, I dont see a big deal about the Gentleman from Minnesota saying what he said. I remember on a different website I posted on, there was a big controversy of him swearing in using the Koran, which I also dont think is a big deal. I think the best deal for that would be for them all to swear on the US constitution because that should be the only written document that truely matters in congress.

Also the notion that we need to be afraid of Muslims or suspicious of them is totally bogus. The average Muslim, who is noticable through either thier clothing or physical appearance to the average American usually isnt even a Muslim but instead are often Sikhs. I will also point out that the average American Muslim, is generally much more afraid of the white establishment than visa versa. The Muslim and Arab communities are very well aware that they are often being monitored in thier daily lives, and if they act suspicious in anyway, especially at an airport that they will be hauled off a plane in handcuffs to face charges or even deportation.

Also Steveox, once again you only seem to post hair-brained ideas that are convenient for you at the time. All American citizens over the age of 18 have the right to vote, unless they are a convicted felon. Your suggestion of limiting that right is not much different from suggesting we take away the right to free speech. Which would mean that your idiotic rambling nonsense that you post would be limited or stripped as well. I would encourage you to read, the 15th, the 24th amendment, the 26th Amendment, which already cover and make illegal pretty much all the things that you proposed in your little sceme to limit voting rights. Never forget that hundreds of thousands of Americans have fought and died for your right to post whatever you want on here, as well as to guarantee than all Americans have a say in thier government, and your idea does nothing but diminish the rights that so many have killed and died for.

Werbung:
Fair enough. One important thing though that rarely gets mentioned is that the Japanese (and Koreans) enlisted in the military in huge numbers during that time as a way to prove their patriotism. [/INDENT]

Actually, American muslims are quite well assimilated.

From Wikipedia:
According to a 2004 telephone survey of a sample of 1846 Muslims conducted by Zogby the respondents were more educated and affluent than the national average, with 59% of them holding at least an undergraduate college degree. Citing the Zogby survey, a 2005 Wall Street Journal editorial, by Bret Stephens and Joseph Rago expressed the tendency of American Muslims to report employment in professional fields, with one in three having an income over $75,000 a year. [33] The editorial also characterized American Muslims as "role models both as Americans and as Muslims".​

and in a more recent poll, which was discussed on another thread, the StarTribune reported the following:

A major poll of American Muslims by one of the most respected pollsters in the country reveals substantial differences between American and European Muslims. The American Muslims by a huge margin reject Islamic extremism. They are educated, affluent, happy and largely assimilated.​

In addition, the number of muslims in the military is increasing however they do face obstacles and attitudes against them http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/2/7/154749.shtml

I'm afraid I still very much see this backlash against muslim Americans in much the same light as that towards the Japanese Americans :eek:

They are Americans.

Back