US Becoming Pro-Life

GenSeneca

More Americans “Pro-Life” Than “Pro-Choice” for First Time

PRINCETON, NJ -- A new Gallup Poll, conducted May 7-10, finds 51% of Americans calling themselves "pro-life" on the issue of abortion and 42% "pro-choice." This is the first time a majority of U.S. adults have identified themselves as pro-life since Gallup began asking this question in 1995.

The new results, obtained from Gallup's annual Values and Beliefs survey, represent a significant shift from a year ago, when 50% were pro-choice and 44% pro-life. Prior to now, the highest percentage identifying as pro-life was 46%, in both August 2001 and May 2002.

The May 2009 survey documents comparable changes in public views about the legality of abortion. In answer to a question providing three options for the extent to which abortion should be legal, about as many Americans now say the procedure should be illegal in all circumstances (23%) as say it should be legal under any circumstances (22%). This contrasts with the last four years, when Gallup found a strong tilt of public attitudes in favor of unrestricted abortion.

I could not add the graphic from the site but if you look at it, you will see that the Pro-Life movement has been steadily gaining ground while the Pro-Abortionists have been steadily losing ground.

What stands out to me is that Republicans are being told they must drop the abortion issue if they ever want to win another election... Looks like a winner to me.

I would like to see the Pro-Lifers change the argument to focus more on the individual rights aspect though, such a move would highlight the absurdity of claiming your position as Pro-Choice. I'd also push for an elimination of all subsidies that go towards abortions ($1400 in tax payer subsidies per abortion last year), which includes government subsidies to Planned Parenthood (336 million last year). Roe v Wade is doomed to go the way of the Dredd Scott ruling.... Both were in support of barbaric practices that denied individual their rights based on the argument that they were not individuals but property.

Werbung:

I could not add the graphic from the site but if you look at it, you will see that the Pro-Life movement has been steadily gaining ground while the Pro-Abortionists have been steadily losing ground.

What stands out to me is that Republicans are being told they must drop the abortion issue if they ever want to win another election... Looks like a winner to me.

First off, a closer look at the poll finds that only 23% think the medical procedure should be "illegal in all circumstances"....and that's the position taken by the hardcore pro lifers...no doubt yourself included.

Secondly, other recent polls, including this one by Quinnipiac show different results..

15 percent of all voters, including 13 percent of Catholics and 10 percent of observant Catholics, say abortion should be legal in all cases;
37 percent of all voters, including 37 percent of Catholics and 19 percent of observant Catholics, say abortion should be legal in most cases;

27 percent of all voters, including 28 percent of Catholics and 40 percent of observant Catholics, say abortion should be illegal in most cases;
14 percent of all voters, including 16 percent of Catholics and 26 percent of observant Catholics, say abortion should be illegal in all cases.

By my counting, that works out to 52% of Americans being pro-choice.

First off, a closer look at the poll finds that only 23% think the medical procedure should be "illegal in all circumstances"....and that's the position taken by the hardcore pro lifers...no doubt yourself included.
A closer look? I included that information in my post... Unlike yourself, I like to be honest and accurate.

I don't think it should be illegal in all circumstances... But don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you're one of the hardcore left-wing-nuts, part of the 22%, who think abortion should be "legal in all circumstances"... Oh wow, look at that... 23% is higher than 22%... Imagine that... even on the extreme ends of the issue the Pro-Lifers are winning. ;)

A closer look? I included that information in my post... Unlike yourself, I like to be honest and accurate.

I don't think it should be illegal in all circumstances... But don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you're one of the hardcore left-wing-nuts, part of the 22%, who think abortion should be "legal in all circumstances"... Oh wow, look at that... 23% is higher than 22%... Imagine that... even on the extreme ends of the issue the Pro-Lifers are winning. ;)

I don't think so...the poll found that 37% think the procedure should be legal for any or most circumstances, while an additional 37% believe it should be legal for at least a few situations.

Therefore, only one conclusion can be reached....seeking to control a woman's body like some kind of religious Nazi is a losing position.

Gen. Said: I would like to see the Pro-Lifers change the argument to focus more on the individual rights aspect though, such a move would highlight the absurdity of claiming your position as Pro-Choice. I'd also push for an elimination of all subsidies that go towards abortions ($1400 in tax payer subsidies per abortion last year), which includes government subsidies to Planned Parenthood (336 million last year). Roe v Wade is doomed to go the way of the Dredd Scott ruling.... Both were in support of barbaric practices that denied individual their rights based on the argument that they were not individuals but property.

For me; What goes on between a woman and her doctor isn't anyone business but hers and the doctor, call it what ever makes you happiest!

I wish that there would never - ever be a 'NEED' for abortion...but until the ability to rape and deflower a virgin becomes something that our society doesn't partake in and we are able to stem the incestuous relationships that go on between men who claim to be 'a father' then the 'need' for abortionist will always be part of our society!!! And when the poorest of the poor adolescent female suffer at the hands of their controlling/abusive/sexually perverted father figure/uncle/brother/grandfather/neighbor, etc., etc., etc., then we will never - ever be able to quit this practise and the federal funding for that 'need' will/should continue to be provided too! IMO

Secondly, other recent polls, including this one by Quinnipiac show different results..

By my counting, that works out to 52% of Americans being pro-choice.

And it's all how the question is put. If the question is simply do you believe a woman's right to choose should be stripped away by the overturning of Roe v Wade the numbers are quite different.

Poll Shows Abortion Issue Could Push Independents and Pro-Choice Republicans to Obama

The poll found if voters know the candidates' stances, they choose Obama over McCain
By Liz Halloran
June 16, 2008

A poll released today of likely women voters in 12 battleground states that suggests presumed GOP presidential nominee John McCain could lose the support of significant numbers of independent and pro-choice Republican women—if they are educated about the Arizona senator's antiabortion voting record.

And that, the pollsters predicted, could help expected Democratic nominee Barack Obama win that "critical bloc" of swing voters come November.

"The poll shows that this issue can have real impact in a presidential election," says Al Quinlan of the Democratic polling firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research, which conducted the survey for NARAL Pro-Choice America. "A clear choice on this issue moves votes to Barack Obama. It moves the swing vote with independent women, more crossover vote with Republican women who are pro-choice, and, in Obama's case, it begins to consolidate the base by bringing home Democratic women."

The survey sets the stage for what NARAL President Nancy Keenan says will be her organization's five-month push to educate women about McCain's opposition to Roe v. Wade and his votes to limit access to birth control and to "ensure that [our] endorsed candidate, Senator Obama, becomes President-Elect Obama on November 4."

"Senator McCain has been out there a long time," Keenan said, and because there's a perception that he's a moderate maverick, "there's an assumption that he is pro-choice."

McCain has stated that Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion, should be overturned. He has consistently opposed abortion, except in cases of rape and incest or when a woman's life is at risk. However, the GOP national platform does not endorse such exceptions to abortion, and McCain has not said whether, as the party's leader, he would push to include the exceptions. (Conservative evangelical leaders have bluntly warned him not to.) McCain has been endorsed in his Senate races by the National Right to Life Committee, which says that in 2005 and 2006, the Arizona senator voted in their interests 75 percent of the time.

Obama has called a woman's right to choose legal abortion a "fundamental freedom" and has gotten a 100 percent rating from Planned Parenthood, which supports abortion rights.

Using data from his firm's survey of 1,788 likely women voters in states including Florida, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, Quinlan says that Obama gained 13 points among pro-choice independent women and 9 points among pro-choice Republican women once they were presented with what the pollsters called "a balanced description of the candidates' respective positions on choice."

When women surveyed were simply asked for whom they would vote if the presidential election were held today, 47 percent named Obama and 45 percent McCain, Quinlan says. But after being read the description of the candidates' positions, 53 percent said they would vote for Obama; 40 percent for McCain.

Here are the descriptions used by the pollsters in survey calls made to women between May 29 and June 8:

Obama: "Barack Obama believes that the decision to have an abortion is profoundly difficult for women and families and that these decisions are personal, between a woman, her family, her God, and her doctor, and that politicians should stay out of it. As president, Obama will oppose any constitutional amendment to overturn Roe v. Wade, and he will work to reduce unintended pregnancies through prevention and education by expanding access to birth control and sex education."

McCain: "John McCain is pro-life, and on the issue of abortion, he opposes a woman's right to choose. McCain says that, quote, 'abortion is a human tragedy,' and he believes that we must end abortion by overturning Roe v. Wade. As president, he will nominate Supreme Court judges who will vote to overturn Roe v. Wade and return the issue to the states to decide."

"This shows where the race does go when this issue is actually put front and center," says Quinlan, who estimated that up to half of women voters are either "unclear or unsure" of McCain's position on abortion.

The McCain campaign did not respond to a request for comment.

I would like to see the Pro-Lifers change the argument to focus more on the individual rights aspect though, such a move would highlight the absurdity of claiming your position as Pro-Choice. I'd also push for an elimination of all subsidies that go towards abortions ($1400 in tax payer subsidies per abortion last year), which includes government subsidies to Planned Parenthood (336 million last year). Roe v Wade is doomed to go the way of the Dredd Scott ruling.... Both were in support of barbaric practices that denied individual their rights based on the argument that they were not individuals but property.

I was really happy to see the results of that poll. I think 99.9 percent of all people agree if a woman has a pregnancy in her tubes she has no choice but to have an abortion or if the woman's organs would not hold up through a pregnancy. There will always be that 1 percent of nutballs who say no abortion for any reason, but that is not most poeple. I think the majority of people are against partial birth abortion and late term and abortion on demand because they dont "feel" like being pregnant. But most will agree in cases of life of the mother

The poll was up front and no code words to trick people into voting more on the lines of pro life.

There was a poll a few years ago that younger adults were more pro life than their parents but I dont know if thats the case in this poll or not.

Thanks for posting it Gen :)

For me; What goes on between a woman and her doctor isn't anyone business but hers and the doctor, call it what ever makes you happiest!

I wish that there would never - ever be a 'NEED' for abortion...but until the ability to rape and deflower a virgin becomes something that our society doesn't partake in and we are able to stem the incestuous relationships that go on between men who claim to be 'a father' then the 'need' for abortionist will always be part of our society!!! And when the poorest of the poor adolescent female suffer at the hands of their controlling/abusive/sexually perverted father figure/uncle/brother/grandfather/neighbor, etc., etc., etc., then we will never - ever be able to quit this practise and the federal funding for that 'need' will/should continue to be provided too! IMO

Good points.

Here's another good testimonial that caught my eye on the issue...

Abortion
I am over 65. Both my grandmother and my aunt had abortions prior to 1930. In my aunt's case it was a do it yourself job which left her infertile. Only recently did I realize that all of her comments about "well, I'd never want to have children" while she was making dresses for me were a cover-up for her real affection and feelings.
Pro-life people even want TO STOP THE BIRTH CONTROL Pill. There literature is clear on the desire to outlaw the morning after pill and the IUD but some of the efforts claim that the pill sometimes does not prevent fertilization but murders the child by prohibiting it from obtaining nourishment by attaching to the wome. By obtaining a definition of life beginning at conception, not implantation, they can then claim that the regular birth control could be abortion and murder.
Sep 19, 2008

"Pro-Lifers" are winning, huh?

"Winning" what? They're no longer being forced into having abortions???

:confused:

"Pro-Lifers" are winning, huh?

"Winning" what? They're no longer being forced into having abortions???

:confused:

I just pulled your quote but the following statement/question is for everyone...

Is is it possible that the slight up swing in the 'POLLS' are due to the 'stem cell' hype that the religious sect seem to fear for lack of good factual information...could that be the recent driving force for the slight increase! Band news travels faster then the 'facts' and the 'fear of the unknown' has generated many a 'scare tactic' before! IMO What do you all think?

Is is it possible that the slight up swing in the 'POLLS' are due to the 'stem cell' hype that the religious sect seem to fear for lack of good factual information...could that be the recent driving force for the slight increase! Band news travels faster then the 'facts' and the 'fear of the unknown' has generated many a 'scare tactic' before! IMO What do you all think?
Is it possible they simply hate children?? (.....well, AFTER they're born, anyhow.)​

Is it possible they simply hate children?? (.....well, AFTER they're born, anyhow.)​

No...I don't think that is right...come on and think about what I asked and quit you joking around???

Seriously, aren't quite a few of the right wing religious 'FUN-Dies' frightened of the scientific world and the 'Stem Cell' research???

Seriously, aren't quite a few of the right wing religious 'FUN-Dies' frightened of the scientific world and the 'Stem Cell' research???
I'd imagine so. They probably think.....allowing stem-cell research will Cancel their free-pass into Heaven, if they don't speak-up. :rolleyes:

Can you imagine their surprise, if they find-out supporting the Death Penalty will carry as much weight, when their entrance is evaluated?

When people (absolutely) DREAD Death (well, their own, anyhow), they're capable of just-about-anything.​

It is likely that a strong majority of people are "pro life" in the sense that they would like to see fewer abortions. Even Barack Obama, pro life extremist that he is, said we should act to limit the number of abortions.

Few people are really anti choice, or pro abortion.

The debate then, needs to be about how best to reduce the number of abortions.

Surely, no one is going to argue that it is possible to eliminate abortion entirely.

The question, then, is whether to make it illegal, and thus drive it underground, or to make it illegal in some cases, thus letting the government decide, or to reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies, and make adoption a more attractive option.

My position is that we should keep it legal, but work to make it less prevalent through education, access to birth control, and adoption. Does that make me pro life, or pro choice?

Werbung:
My position is that we should keep it legal, but work to make it less prevalent through education, access to birth control, and adoption. Does that make me pro life, or pro choice?
That makes you reasonable; an anti-fundamentalist.​

Back