Truant WI Senate Dems' paychecks being withheld

Little-Acorn

Not a bad move.

But... remind me again why they are getting paid... for anything?

I believe this story originally said that only Direct Deposit was bing cancelled, and that the Dems had to pick up their checks in the Senate house during an active session of the Senate. But when I looked, it did not say that, it said what is quoted below. Did it get changed?

---------------------------------

http://www.fox6now.com/witi-direct-deposit-checks-senators-20110222,0,7489629.story

Paychecks to be withheld from absent Wisconsin senators

MADISON (AP) — Wisconsin's 14 Democratic senators are being threatened with recalls and having their paychecks withheld because they've been hiding out of state since Thursday. But they say those threats won't deter them in their opposition to the anti-union bill that prompted their flight.

The senators have been gone for five days. As long as they're away there aren't enough senators left to take action on a bill by Republican Gov. Scott Walker that would strip unionized public employees of most of their bargaining rights.

The pressure is ramping up for the Democrats to return. A Utah-based group has filed paperwork to recall some of them, and the Senate passed a measure withholding paychecks from absent lawmakers.

But the Democrats say they're not coming back while the bargaining rights are in jeopardy.

Werbung:
Help my understand this please.

Just what bargaining rights are the unions going to lose?

If the bill passes, the unions won't be able to collectively bargain for pensions or working conditions, except for safety-related occupations (police, firemen etc.).

They will still be able to bargain for wages etc. for all state employees.

The usual liars are trying to pretend they will lose all collective bargaining rights... and the more fanatically-left media is reporting it that way too.

This whole sad episode is further proof that the D party is completed bought and paid for by the corrupt unions. The D party could care less about America or Americans. They only care about power and money.

If the bill passes, the unions won't be able to collectively bargain for pensions or working conditions, except for safety-related occupations (police, firemen etc.).

They will still be able to bargain for wages etc. for all state employees.

The usual liars are trying to pretend they will lose all collective bargaining rights... and the more fanatically-left media is reporting it that way too.

I have been trying to figure this out on my own too. It appears that there are laws that specifically say the unions can collectively bargain and that dues can be taken from paychecks by the gov and then given to the unions.

Some of these laws would be struck down but the unions would still be able to negotiate anything they want. The right to bargain does not come from the law but the law gives the right enough force that it is far far easier for unions to not be broken. In other words, as an example, a union could still threaten to strike if they don't get the insurance package they want but they could lose. Whereas with the law the state must allow the union to have the package they want. Another thing that I think the law does is it does not allow individuals to withhold their dues. This gives union leaders an advantage over members.

It seems to me that the law as it stands gives the unions an unfair advantage and eliminating part of the laws makes it more fair. The unions could still strike for anything at all that they want but could lose to management.

But I have not completely understood it and yet may be wrong.

Werbung:
This whole sad episode is further proof that the D party is completed bought and paid for by the corrupt unions. The D party could care less about America or Americans. They only care about power and money.

The unions are the largest contributor to campaigns in the whole country but they are not the only contributor. When there is talk of special interest one should first think "union". Then consider the smaller contributors.

Other special interest also hold sway over politicians and it happens in both parties. For example the second largest contributing industry gives money to candidates in exchange for favors but gives almost equally to both parties.

Back