This isn't Football!

TheFranklinParty

From a recent article and blog post: http://franklinparty.blogspot.com/

"Here I sit on an airplane to Bloomington, Minnesota. Slowly drifting in and out of consciousness, I start to think how certain people in Minnesota hated Brett Farve, with every fiber of their body, and now they look upon him as a star. At the same time many people in Green Bay, Wisconsin have burned their green and yellow #4 jerseys. Having played my fair share of sports, and watched even more, I understand how someone can be swallowed up in the excitement of a sports team. It’s intoxicating. It’s comforting and exhilarating to be part of the brethren that defends and supports the “home” team. It’s where you’re from and part of your identity, but what I can’t wrap my brain around is how that gets translated to politicians and political parties?

Let me explain my confusion. People identify themselves as Vikings, Packers, Bills, Dolphins, or Cardinals. People idolize names like Farve, Manning, Brady, Payton, Namath, and Unitas because they need heroes. They even overlook the missteps of their favorites like Burris, Merriman, and Lewis because they want to believe that the real world and the gridiron are separate places of worship. Where I’m challenged is when we apply these same rules to political parties and politicians. If you are a Democrat then you have to hate Republicans, like Giants hate Eagles. You must hate those evil money grubbing religious fanatics called Conservatives, just like 49ers still hate Elway. Conservatives look upon Liberals as old hippies who have smoked too much dope, hugged too many trees, and ate too much granola; just like Redskins look at Cowboys. How much blind hate can one city have for names like Staubach, Landry, and Romo.

In sports the polarity of opinion is based on where you’re from and where you went to school. They’re carved in stone as a way of holding onto your youth and your childhood allegiances. This is healthy and provides the vicarious excitement that gets the juices flowing on game day, but applying this emotional methodology to our politics is ruining our political system.

What are we thinking? Pelosi, Frank, Gingrich, Bush, and Obama aren’t sports superstars. They are employees. They were elected by you and I to do a job. Yet, people blindly defend them like they are going to lead their team to the SuperBowl. Recently, I heard an interview of a prominent San Francisco political pundit who went on and on about the great things Rep. Pelosi has done for this country, yet when asked for specifics they came up empty. This is the kind of blind star worship which is preventing us from having reasonable conversations. Ted Kennedy, who recently passed away, was given a send off commensurate of a hero. Even though I never agreed with is politics or his personal behavior, I did think he was a patriot; but a hero?

Are we so starved for true heroes that we cling to these employees who have never done anything courageous in their lives? Maybe it is time we stop wearing Blue and Red like it some kind of team jersey. Maybe it’s time we revisit our Democratic Republic roots. Start realizing we are sending local representation to Washington to speak our mind instead of the political team’s (Party’s) mind. Congress isn’t the Pro-Bowl and the White House isn’t the prize for the MVP of the league. Come on people, let’s open our eyes and look as critically at our own team (Party) and players (Politicians) as we look at the other side. Maybe then we will all realize there is room for more ideas and we are all in this together. I think we could get a lot more done if we start looking at this as one team, but that’s just the dream that is drifting through my head as I listen to the hum of jet engines at 30,000 feet."

Werbung:
From a recent article and blog post: http://franklinparty.blogspot.com/

"Here I sit on an airplane to Bloomington, Minnesota. Slowly drifting in and out of consciousness, I start to think how certain people in Minnesota hated Brett Farve, with every fiber of their body, and now they look upon him as a star. At the same time many people in Green Bay, Wisconsin have burned their green and yellow #4 jerseys. Having played my fair share of sports, and watched even more, I understand how someone can be swallowed up in the excitement of a sports team. It’s intoxicating. It’s comforting and exhilarating to be part of the brethren that defends and supports the “home” team. It’s where you’re from and part of your identity, but what I can’t wrap my brain around is how that gets translated to politicians and political parties?

Let me explain my confusion. People identify themselves as Vikings, Packers, Bills, Dolphins, or Cardinals. People idolize names like Farve, Manning, Brady, Payton, Namath, and Unitas because they need heroes. They even overlook the missteps of their favorites like Burris, Merriman, and Lewis because they want to believe that the real world and the gridiron are separate places of worship. Where I’m challenged is when we apply these same rules to political parties and politicians. If you are a Democrat then you have to hate Republicans, like Giants hate Eagles. You must hate those evil money grubbing religious fanatics called Conservatives, just like 49ers still hate Elway. Conservatives look upon Liberals as old hippies who have smoked too much dope, hugged too many trees, and ate too much granola; just like Redskins look at Cowboys. How much blind hate can one city have for names like Staubach, Landry, and Romo.

In sports the polarity of opinion is based on where you’re from and where you went to school. They’re carved in stone as a way of holding onto your youth and your childhood allegiances. This is healthy and provides the vicarious excitement that gets the juices flowing on game day, but applying this emotional methodology to our politics is ruining our political system.

What are we thinking? Pelosi, Frank, Gingrich, Bush, and Obama aren’t sports superstars. They are employees. They were elected by you and I to do a job. Yet, people blindly defend them like they are going to lead their team to the SuperBowl. Recently, I heard an interview of a prominent San Francisco political pundit who went on and on about the great things Rep. Pelosi has done for this country, yet when asked for specifics they came up empty. This is the kind of blind star worship which is preventing us from having reasonable conversations. Ted Kennedy, who recently passed away, was given a send off commensurate of a hero. Even though I never agreed with is politics or his personal behavior, I did think he was a patriot; but a hero?

Are we so starved for true heroes that we cling to these employees who have never done anything courageous in their lives? Maybe it is time we stop wearing Blue and Red like it some kind of team jersey. Maybe it’s time we revisit our Democratic Republic roots. Start realizing we are sending local representation to Washington to speak our mind instead of the political team’s (Party’s) mind. Congress isn’t the Pro-Bowl and the White House isn’t the prize for the MVP of the league. Come on people, let’s open our eyes and look as critically at our own team (Party) and players (Politicians) as we look at the other side. Maybe then we will all realize there is room for more ideas and we are all in this together. I think we could get a lot more done if we start looking at this as one team, but that’s just the dream that is drifting through my head as I listen to the hum of jet engines at 30,000 feet."

TheFranklinParty
What are we thinking? Pelosi, Frank, Gingrich, Bush, and Obama aren’t sports superstars. They are employees. They were elected by you and I to do a job. Yet, people blindly defend them like they are going to lead their team to the SuperBowl.

The problem with that logic is the same could then be said about... Washington or Madison or Lincoln or even OOPS... Franklin.;)

And surely you are not here to tell us that someone that can throw a ball far or run fast (as must as I may personally like that) is as important as the leaders of our great country.

Which brings up another quandary. Sports stars make multi-millions per year on multi-year guaranteed contracts. The President of the United States of America earns $400,000 per year and the average salary in Congress is only $172,000 per year. So after taxes a person in Congress is bringing home what... $114,000?

When ya think about it really not a lot of money for one of this nations top leaders...

The problem with that logic is the same could then be said about... Washington or Madison or Lincoln or even OOPS... Franklin.;)

And surely you are not here to tell us that someone that can throw a ball far or run fast (as must as I may personally like that) is as important as the leaders of our great country.

Which brings up another quandary. Sports stars make multi-millions per year on multi-year guaranteed contracts. The President of the United States of America earns $400,000 per year and the average salary in Congress is only $172,000 per year. So after taxes a person in Congress is bringing home what... $114,000?

When ya think about it really not a lot of money for one of this nations top leaders...

My bad, obviously my writing skills must have blurred my point. I was suggesting that far too many people just blindly follow a political party like they follow a sports team. A matter of fact I'll suggest we do a worse job at it, since at some point they start booing their own team when the players don't put out the effort.

As for the paychecks; you must be kidding. Any of these congressional jobs pretty much locks you into a lifetime of big checks when you go back to the real world.

A few fun facts: it takes a minimum of $4M to win a congressional seat, $7M for a Senate seat, Al Frankin had $10 in advertising alone, and Harry Reid has $25M in his campaign fund. Most legislators have their own person PAC which donates the limit to other members of congress. Tell me when to stop...if you question the earning potential just look at Bill Clinton or Al Gore - $100M what?...please don't cry poor mouth for our elected officials.

As for athletes, if you don't like what they make then stop watching and buying tickets. I loved baseball, but I've stopped watching it completely because of the corruption and the drug use. Make a stand...stop watching if it bothers you...and while your at it demand transparency in Washington...and for heavens sake please admit that people like Nancy Pelosi need to be taken out of office not put on a pedestal.

As the son of a former dairy farmer from Wisconsin and my Mothers family walked/kayaked from Russia a long time ago, and not having a team in Alaska, my loyalty falls to my beloved Pack.

I have so many fond memories of watching #4 in green and gold, and will always have a respect and admiration for Favre. It came with a little bit of back pain removing the knife from between my shoulders. But I can forgive him at this point. Both teams this year are looking good. As the season plays out we will see. I think there would be considerable irony in the fact that if the Vikes won the Super Bowl it would be with Favre as the QB.

As for the OP, politics and football go hand in hand no question. Our human attraction to them is very similar as often times is our behavior. Face painting, sign holding, shouting and body painting seen are something in common.

The reason football players are more popular than most of our elected leaders is because they participate in something that is much more appealing to Americans and generally humans worldwide than political figures.
Also, the amount of revenue that those individual players generate from ticket and merchandise sales justifies thier salaries.

so what does it mean if I hated favre before as a Vikes fan...and I still hate him ....as a vikes fan? :)

Not to bring this to far off the intended path of the thread, but I have seen an amazing amount of "about face" when Favre signed with Minnesota. Guys who I consider my friends and football rivals for nearly a lifetime have embraced Brett so far. One thing though that I know Minnesota fans have a habit of is to turn on thier players. We will see if that happens when there is a 4 interception game.

The other factor there of course if Adrian Peterson, he is easily the best back I have seen run since Barry Sanders. If Peterson and Favre can stay healthy, I think the Vikes can go deep. Of course like in all past performances, the Vikes will choke when the time comes. ;)

Make a stand...stop watching if it bothers you...and while your at it demand transparency in Washington...and for heavens sake please admit that people like Nancy Pelosi need to be taken out of office not put on a pedestal.
....And, that Joe Wilson should be required to wear his Hood, at all times.​

It means you miss the days of Fran Tarkenton, Carl Eller, and Alan Page...:)...Purple People Eaters on an icy field it didn't get any better than that.
.....For a Viqueen-fan, maybe.

Show 'em #1, there, Chuck!!!

chuck-noll-autographed-8x10-w-trophy-photo_cc9398624fc330941d35ec81e3c056cc.jpg

Fortunately.....things change......

Six_SuperBowls_WEB__Trophys_104279.jpg

As the son of a former dairy farmer from Wisconsin and my Mothers family walked/kayaked from Russia a long time ago, and not having a team in Alaska......
Just another "suburb" of STEELER NATION!!!!!!!!!!!

* STEELERS BARS *

Boston Pizza - Old Steese Hwy Fairbanks, AK
Crossroads Lounge - 1402 Gambell St Anchorage, AK 99501
Eddie's Sports Bar - Old Seward Highway Anchorage, AK
Eielson Enlisted Club - Central Ave Eielson AFB, AK
Gold Rush Saloon - Peger Rd Fairbanks, AK
Homestead Sports Lounge - 12130 Regency Drive Eagle River, AK 99577
Marlintini's Lounge - 9121 Glacier Hwy Juneau, AK 99801
Mountain High Pizza Pie - Main Street Talkeetna, AK
The Peanut Farm - 5227 Old Seward Highway Anchorage, AK 99518

You can ask TheFranklinParty about us.

:D

Werbung:
Not to bring this to far off the intended path of the thread, but I have seen an amazing amount of "about face" when Favre signed with Minnesota. Guys who I consider my friends and football rivals for nearly a lifetime have embraced Brett so far. One thing though that I know Minnesota fans have a habit of is to turn on thier players. We will see if that happens when there is a 4 interception game.

The other factor there of course if Adrian Peterson, he is easily the best back I have seen run since Barry Sanders. If Peterson and Favre can stay healthy, I think the Vikes can go deep. Of course like in all past performances, the Vikes will choke when the time comes. ;)

Perosnaly I think we do better if favre goes down and Tjack comes back in lol

Back