The Ugly side of the olympics

Libsmasher

From the beginning in the open ceremony, with the Republic of China forced to march behind a sign that says "Chinese Taipei", you know that there is going to be a lot of ass-kissing of the PRC by all and sundry involved. The favorite sport of some in the audiences was synchronized booing of american performers and teams. Why? Because in so many areas, including sports on a level playing field, we're number 1. It's the green monster, jealousy, raising its ugly head.

There was the ass-kissing of the chinese by adding (over a few olympics) such junk as ping pong and badminton and calling them a "sport", to help the chinese run up their gold medal count.

We saw the usual round of cheating, malfeasance, and incompetence by the officials - the chinese gymnastics team that looked like escapees from a day care center, the deliberate attempts to psych out an american gymnast by calling her, and then letting her rot for 15 minutes.

I watched maybe 20% of the olympics, but it seems every time I watched, there was some anti-US officiating errors. Examples:

- In the US-Russia men's volleyball, the officals ignored a blatant ball push by the russians - everyone in the stadium could see it, the US players were stunned, and this was with a few points to go in a tied 5-set match.

- I saw Nastia Liukin of the US girls gymnastic teams absolutely stick a great vault. This was particularly noticeable because I didn't see a single other performer do that. They gave her a low score - the NBC expert commentator was flabbergasted.

- In the US men's basketball finals, one spanish basketball player did a straight-forward NFL-worthy tackle of an american player - silence from the officials.

Etc etc etc.

The olympics stinks on many levels, but this one, held in one of the worst dictatorships on earth, ranks right up there with the 1936 berlin olympics.

Werbung:
Back