The Legal Drinking Age

ANewStart

Should the legal drinking age be lowered to 18 since many collage students might be more compelled to drink when it is against the law?

Werbung:
Enforcement of a drinking age is one of the farthest things from pragmatic as I can imagine. Drinking only harms society when those who drink drive, so we should focus on laws and enforcement regarding drinking and driving, not on what age people are drinking at. So long as someone gets drunk and it doesn't affect anyone else, what relevance should it have to our government?

I think the age to legally purchase alcohol should be set at 65. That's right, only senior citizens should be able to buy any kind of alcohol.

That way, we could resell drinks to younger people, and make a living should Social Security go under.

Come to think of it, that's a perfect plan, and I came up with it while cold sober!:D

I think the age to legally purchase alcohol should be set at 65. That's right, only senior citizens should be able to buy any kind of alcohol.

Haha, I think my grandmother and I would come to an agreement where she could cut me into the profits so long as I was the Designated Driver.

That way, we could resell drinks to younger people, and make a living should Social Security go under.

I would much rather see Social Security be ended, and have the government sell off its ridiculous amount of unnecessary assets to cover the people collecting and people about to collect it.

Come to think of it, that's a perfect plan, and I came up with it while cold sober!:D

I've heard that the best solutions to the world's problems come under the influence of the gods' nectar, so my hat is off to you on that accomplishment.

PLC, its a good plan.

On a serious note, look at where drinking is not a problem. Continental Europe. Why? Because people are introduced to drink slowly. Wine is common at meals for young children, and they can get served in a pub from about the age of 12 (although 16 is the actual legal limit in most of the countries in question). The bartender uses common sense, serving them one or two pints and they don't find drinking a big deal. By the time they are 18, they've been drinking beer for a good few years and don't see the appeal in taking advantage of the fact they can now buy harder alcoholic drinks like vodka.

Should the legal drinking age be lowered to 18 since many collage students might be more compelled to drink when it is against the law?

I am not sure I agree with this statement, I have been to countries where the legal age is 18 and 19 respectively. I think 19 is a better age to be honest. Many 18 year olds are seniors in high school. I would rather see it similar to the Canadian system where it is 19 and most 19 year olds are out of HS.

Enforcement of a drinking age is one of the farthest things from pragmatic as I can imagine. Drinking only harms society when those who drink drive, so we should focus on laws and enforcement regarding drinking and driving, not on what age people are drinking at. So long as someone gets drunk and it doesn't affect anyone else, what relevance should it have to our government?

I also disagree with these sentiments. While I would concede that drinking while driving has a serious harm to others on the road, it goes further than that. There are plenty of people who harm others and kill each other when alcohol is involved without driving a motorized vehicles.

Domestic violence, petty assault/disorderly conduct and other serious felony acts are all associated with the consumption of alcohol. This sort of thing happens every day in America, much less around the world.

Interesting concept PLC, let the elders control the booze trade. You might have something there. Or how about a portion of the tax revenue from alcohol directed towards SS?

PLC, its a good plan.

On a serious note, look at where drinking is not a problem. Continental Europe. Why? Because people are introduced to drink slowly. Wine is common at meals for young children, and they can get served in a pub from about the age of 12 (although 16 is the actual legal limit in most of the countries in question). The bartender uses common sense, serving them one or two pints and they don't find drinking a big deal. By the time they are 18, they've been drinking beer for a good few years and don't see the appeal in taking advantage of the fact they can now buy harder alcoholic drinks like vodka.

I have seen this also 9sublime. As someone who often times sees binge drinking as the norm is rural Alaska, there is something to be said for a slow introduction. But I also think that individual tendencies need to be taken into account. People who want to drink are going to do so regardless of the consequences as is evidenced in the dramatic failure of American prohibition.

Removing the stigma that alcohol is to be consumed as a ways of getting intoxicated only, that is what should be addressed.

Werbung:
Interesting concept PLC, let the elders control the booze trade. You might have something there. Or how about a portion of the tax revenue from alcohol directed towards SS?

That's not a bad idea. We could also lower the tax on cigarettes, and quit trying to get people to stop smoking. That way, there would be fewer seniors draining the social security funds.

Back