The GOP is dying off - literally

The premise of the thread is that old people are dying off, which is sort of hard to counter.

You specifically mentioned older GOP supporters and the ramifications of their dying off for the GOP. You were not talking in a general sense about the fact that people will eventually die of old age.

If the younger set becomes the older set, will they still not vote? Will they vote the way their parents and grandparents did? Who knows?

They'll probably vote more as they grow older. As for how they'll vote you're right, who knows? That's why I'm not anticipating any crises for either major political Party.

and there's something to be said for voting against what you dislike, even if you can't vote for what you would actually like to see. Staying home on election day is no way to support a democracy.

Voting for that which you do not want to see done is no way to support a republic. It is a good way to lose control of your country. I'm not suggesting that staying home and doing nothing will fix anything either, eventually you have to become engaged in the process, but I do think that the lower voter turnout is, the more opportunity may be seen by people who might want to offer different options politically and any claim of a 'mandate' made by whatever Party wins a low turnout election looks more and more absurd the lower the turnout is. I think staying home makes more of a statement, and an accurate statement, than voting for someone you don't like and don't want to see in power.

Werbung:
Youth and voting:

Black_Vote_Pres.jpg

Hispanic Voters in the 2014 Election

The GOP has a tremendous chore ahead of itself if it wants to remain a major player as the older, white voters die off.
GOP has done a poor job in communication but more significant is that there is an over reliance on "identification". We all know its the musy middle that decides things. Dems have harmed MM gravely and you can see the result of it in the congress.

Again though, it's how much are they willing to change their views, in order to remain a viable candidate?

It's alright for people to stick to their guns and not change the way they think about things. only appeal to a select group of voters, but as we can see, that's cutting their nose off to spite their face.

If they don't change, then sooner rather than later, the dinosaurs will be eventually become extinct.

You specifically mentioned older GOP supporters and the ramifications of their dying off for the GOP. You were not talking in a general sense about the fact that people will eventually die of old age.

They'll probably vote more as they grow older. As for how they'll vote you're right, who knows? That's why I'm not anticipating any crises for either major political Party.

Voting for that which you do not want to see done is no way to support a republic. It is a good way to lose control of your country. I'm not suggesting that staying home and doing nothing will fix anything either, eventually you have to become engaged in the process, but I do think that the lower voter turnout is, the more opportunity may be seen by people who might want to offer different options politically and any claim of a 'mandate' made by whatever Party wins a low turnout election looks more and more absurd the lower the turnout is. I think staying home makes more of a statement, and an accurate statement, than voting for someone you don't like and don't want to see in power.

Rather than stay home on election day, cast a protest vote for a third party candidate who has no chance of winning. It's like voting for "none of the above".

I don't think either major party will soon die out either, but it is quite interesting that most of the old white people are Republicans. As we die off, as is bound to happen, will the youth take our place? I think it depends on the direction of the party. If it's toward more "social conservative" issues, then the Republicans will lose adherents IMO. If it's toward more liberty and limited government, then the Republicans will continue as major players and will be a real alternative to the big government statists.

Right now, the choice is between the big government party that admits it and the big government party that doesn't. It's not much of a choice.

Rather than stay home on election day, cast a protest vote for a third party candidate who has no chance of winning. It's like voting for "none of the above".

It's not like voting "none of the above", not voting in a race at all is like voting "none of the above". Before I say anything else I'd like to say that I don't stay home on election day. I do go vote because there are a lot of things on the ballot that I want to vote on. Local, county and state offices, millages, ballot initiatives, magistrates and judges, those sorts of things. I don't waste my time voting in national races though. I see a big difference between national races and races at other levels of government. I think the Dems and GOP have legislated themselves some large advantages, the game is rigged at that level from the very beginning and by voting in that rigged game the only thing accomplished is granting legitimacy to it. Voting for the sake of voting misses the whole point of voting.

I also think that a lot of people do vote just for the sake of voting. They'll go with the crowd and just vote for the most popular candidate.

We're under some spell or illusion that if we vote for who we actually want to get elected, if that's a small party then its just a wasted vote when that's not the case at all.

I also think that a lot of people do vote just for the sake of voting. They'll go with the crowd and just vote for the most popular candidate.

We're under some spell or illusion that if we vote for who we actually want to get elected, if that's a small party then its just a wasted vote when that's not the case at all.
Agreed, it's not the case at all.
Last time around, it was already a given that Obama would win California. So, what's the point of voting? Same as the point of carrying a sign that says "down with" something you don't like. It's a protest and a source of satisfaction. So, while I was pulling for Romney, I voted for Gary Johnson. Neither one had a prayer of winning in California, after all.

The Gallop article says that 18-29 year olds are the least likely to vote. I didn't jump to that conclusion.

Why do you vote for a Party you don't like?
yes I know they are hte least likey to vote, but when they do its Democrat. And why do I vote for a party I don't like? because I really hate the Republicans. And in state Races I vote for my party, but we don't have a national party. ( Perot was the last time we had a real national candidate...

The Independence party of MN, is a spin of of sorts off of the Reform party.

Also I am a realist, I know that no party is going to be just what I want...and with the horrible system in place now, even the best people have to sell a bit of their soul to get and stay elected...I just doubt Some Republicans had one to sell.

A lot of minorities are voting Democratic because Republicans, being associated with the rich, have nothing to offer them. However, the minority take on the Republican party might be misguided. For instance, the Republicans stand for many good things like family values etc. However, a lot of minorites can't bear the though of losing government programs, so they vote Democrat.

Finally, the Latino population is primarily responsible because, as I just stated, they are one of many minorities who have nothing to gain from the Republican party.

Last edited:
A lot of minorities are voting Democratic because Republicans, being associated with the rich, have nothing to offer them. However, the minority take on the Republican party might be misguided. For instance, the Republicans stand for many good things like family values etc. However, a lot of minorites can't bear the though of losing government programs, so they vote Democrat.

Finally, the Latino population is primarily responsible because, as I just stated, they are one of many minorities who have nothing to gain from the Republican party.
Most love the land of opportunity and work hard to improve their lives. The left wants their money (taxes). What does the left have for them ?

I can see why it seems that "Republicans" are dying off, but I wouldn't be so sure. Even if the party were too cease, there has always been a "conservative" and "liberal" theme that runs throughout almost every human political society.

In other words, even though it may not be what it was, there may always be a "conservative" mindset, which is often associated with Republicans.

family values from republicans is a joke, those that are not cheating, gay but bashing gays to hide it, playing guitar with pedophiles ( im look at you Huckster) Paying for their mistress to get a abortion while they vote to ban abortions....they are also the family values part where they try to cut school funding, bitch about he poor asking for a real pay check, ( because they hate welfare but like to make sure they don't make money themselves) they call he poor lazy ( they work harder then a lot of rich) they make stupid statements about how well the poor are, because they have...a refrigerator....) because while they cry about the poor on food stamps eating crab legs ( because thats normal) but love to hand out billions to oil companies.

the Republican party has zero to offer anymore...it has no morals, no economic plan for anyone not rich, and nothing to often anyone who has a brain and understands science and the environment.

Take a look at Kansas , hows all that Bible thumping and family values crap doing for their economy? Hows that economic plan going with gutting taxes?

The rich have outsourced a lot of factory jobs to third world. All that is left are fast food jobs and service jobs, but a lot of the latter have been taken by illegal immigrants. However, there is some upward mobility in fast food. You can always make it to manager. However, in the meantime, a minimum wage job won't pay the rent.

It is associated with Republicans, but are the Republicans really conservatives? I know they talk a good game, but when they're in power, how much does government spending go down? How about government control?

Werbung:
What's dying off is the economy.
Retracted in the first qtr.
Retracted....
And that IS seasonally adjusted.
That's why the administration was floating the idea of changing the seasoning to hide this.

Back