The GOP is dying off - literally

PLC1

Staff member
It turns out that one of the Grand Old Party’s biggest—and least discussed—challenges going into 2016 is lying in plain sight, written right into the party’s own nickname. The Republican Party voter is old—and getting older, and as the adage goes, there are two certainties in life: Death and taxes. Right now, both are enemies of the GOP and they might want to worry more about the former than the latter

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...dying-off-literally-118035.html#ixzz3aVz0kO4Z

The Republicans are getting older, and the youth are more likely to vote with the Democrats. So, what does that mean for the GOP?

Change, or die off, I suppose, but change how?

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Werbung:
Romney voters might die off if Politico's assumptions are correct but the GOP seems to be doing fine. Romney was a weak candidate and a lot of people refused to vote for him but the GOP does now control both chambers of Congress. They also hold a hefty chunk of governorships and state legislatures. I'm not sure about other states but in my so-called Blue state the GOP dominates county and municipal government. It wasn't just old people that made these things happen and the GOP will be alright.

Well one issue that is not going to get fixed is the GOP anti gay issue. The younger today think this is just pure stupid and often have no issue with gays....and The GOP can't drop this issue without pissing off its base, and it going to be hard for a lot of people to say well I want lower taxes....so Screw my gay friends and family. Even if they drop this...its going to be in the head of the young as he old backwater party.

Also linked to this could also be the studies showing more moving away from saying they are Christian....something that will aslo hurt the base.

And I know this may shock them, but science is kinda getting to be a bit cool....science and the GOP are oil and water ( unless shown to kill or make huge amounts of money fast)

The only way a political party can survive, is by getting people to support it. And that's the bottom line.

If the party isn't in touch with the people, young people especially, then it's going to have to change the way it's thinking. For a lot of the older generation of members, changing their policies and the way they view issues, will be the last thing they will be willing to do. But what's the alternative?

The only way a political party can survive, is by getting people to support it. And that's the bottom line.

If the party isn't in touch with the people, young people especially, then it's going to have to change the way it's thinking. For a lot of the older generation of members, changing their policies and the way they view issues, will be the last thing they will be willing to do. But what's the alternative?
The alternative is a party more reflective of the philosophies of the younger set. That party could be a GOP with a different take on some issues, particularly the "social conservative" i.e., authoritarian, issues, or it could be a brand new party.

I think you slide this assumption that younger people side donkey as if were "settled science".

I realize the left has been sure to mention it where possible for some time now tryingto make truth of the lie but repition.

I find it presumptive to think citizens are incapable of separating "issues" from direction.

The left has a terrible chore ahead of itself to attempt to justify its direction in light of its effect.

I think you slide this assumption that younger people side donkey as if were "settled science".

I realize the left has been sure to mention it where possible for some time now tryingto make truth of the lie but repition.

I find it presumptive to think citizens are incapable of separating "issues" from direction.

The left has a terrible chore ahead of itself to attempt to justify its direction in light of its effect.

Youth and voting:

PRINCETON, NJ -- Young adults -- those between the ages of 18 and 29 -- have typically aligned themselves with the Democratic Party, but they have become substantially more likely to do so since 2006.

Black_Vote_Pres.jpg

Hispanic Voters in the 2014 Election
Democrats maintained a large edge among Latinos voting in Tuesday’s midterm elections, but in some states, Republican candidates won more than 40% of the Latino vote, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of National Election Pool exit poll data as reported by NBC News. Though Democrats comfortably won the Latino vote in nearly all states that had key Senate or gubernatorial races (and for which exit poll data is available), Republican candidates won many of those contests, and will take control of the U.S. Senate for the first time since 2007.

The GOP has a tremendous chore ahead of itself if it wants to remain a major player as the older, white voters die off.

The GOP has a tremendous chore ahead of itself if it wants to remain a major player as the older, white voters die off.

Maybe, maybe not. Since you used Gallop I checked to see what else they had to say. My link is from the same year as your link.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/172439/party-identification-varies-widely-across-age-spectrum.aspx

Young Americans in their 20s and 30s today share two important political characteristics -- they are the most likely of any age group to eschew identification with either party, and, among those who do have a political identity, they are the most likely, along with older baby boomers, to tilt toward the Democratic Party.

This seems to say that the young don't like either Party and the Democrats have an age bomb of their own to deal with.

While Democrats enjoy a decided advantage in partisan identification among today's young adults, the higher percentages who don't identify with or even lean toward a party are symptomatic of young Americans' distance from the political system. This, in turn, reflects the political reality that this group is less likely than older age groups to vote.

If they're less likely to vote then the Democrats better have a big advantage among that age group otherwise they won't realize an advantage at the polls.

Maybe, maybe not. Since you used Gallop I checked to see what else they had to say. My link is from the same year as your link.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/172439/party-identification-varies-widely-across-age-spectrum.aspx

This seems to say that the young don't like either Party and the Democrats have an age bomb of their own to deal with.

If they're less likely to vote then the Democrats better have a big advantage among that age group otherwise they won't realize an advantage at the polls.

dont like and vote for are not the same....I don't like the democratic party....I vote for it.

I find it comical to read all these "polls" suggesting people aren't voting GOP or the GOP is dying off.

Have we forgotten last years mid-term elections?

The Dems now hold less seats in Congress than they have in nearly 100 years not to mention all the state and local seats.

These "polls" are propaganda BS. Just like thinking there is even a real difference in the two party's to begin with.

The Gallop article says that 18-29 year olds are the least likely to vote. I didn't jump to that conclusion.

Why do you vote for a Party you don't like?
They are the least likely to vote, which answers Tex's question below. If they did vote, there would be more Democrats in Congress.

Why vote for a party you don't like? Because the other party is one you don't like even more intensely. Voting for the lesser of the evils has become normal for most of us.

They are the least likely to vote, which answers Tex's question below. If they did vote, there would be more Democrats in Congress.

But they don't vote and there aren't more Democrats in Congress. That kind of blows up the premise of this thread. Older voters are more valuable because they're more likely to vote and they don't lean Dem the way the young ones do.

Why vote for a party you don't like? Because the other party is one you don't like even more intensely. Voting for the lesser of the evils has become normal for most of us.

And people who think that way are screwing up the country. I have more respect for the people who decide to stay home and not vote than I do for people who go to the trouble of going to the polls so they can vote for people and a party they don't like. Then those same people bitch and moan about the system even though they're the reason we have what we have right now.

Werbung:
But they don't vote and there aren't more Democrats in Congress. That kind of blows up the premise of this thread. Older voters are more valuable because they're more likely to vote and they don't lean Dem the way the young ones do.

And people who think that way are screwing up the country. I have more respect for the people who decide to stay home and not vote than I do for people who go to the trouble of going to the polls so they can vote for people and a party they don't like. Then those same people bitch and moan about the system even though they're the reason we have what we have right now.

The premise of the thread is that old people are dying off, which is sort of hard to counter. If the younger set becomes the older set, will they still not vote? Will they vote the way their parents and grandparents did? Who knows?

and there's something to be said for voting against what you dislike, even if you can't vote for what you would actually like to see. Staying home on election day is no way to support a democracy.

Back