1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

The earth is flat!

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Walter, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Walter

Walter Administrator Staff Member

2. Lagboltz

Lagboltz Well-Known Member

Rapper BoB is getting what he wanted - publicity. Famous astrophysicist Neil Tyson is having fun with him by tweeting arguments against flat earth.

3. Charles Franklin

Charles Franklin Member

I actually discussed this issue in another forum and came to the same conclusion that Lagboltz came up with. Rapper BoB needs some publicity because it sells. I also argued that, deep down, it doesn't matter what the rapper really believes. The world, luckily, will keep spinning regardless of whether we're smart enough to realize it.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While I think it's obvious that this is just a way if getting a bit of of attention and publicity, what's worrying for me is that people are actually believing what's ges saying.

I don't know if these are just loyal fans of his that will believe every word he says, or they're just easily lead and naive people in the first place? Maybe both...

5. nytegeek

nytegeek Member

I was astounded when I first found out there were actually still flat earthers out there. It's just crazy. The human ability to deny obvious fact in the face of all sense never ceases to amaze me.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Just recently in the media there's been a some Muslim clerics that have also come out and said they will not be fooled by the wicked wears attempts to fool them, and they know the world is flat.

I genuinely don't understand how people are blind to the facts that are in front of them?

7. nytegeek

nytegeek Member

There seems to be a compulsion among many people to ignore or deny facts that they view as inconvenient or a threat to other beliefs they have. It is the same thing with global climate change. It's an inconvenient reality for these that make money of off polluting practices and inconvenient to politicians that rely on those people for campaign funding. People deny things that are true because it conflicts with their interpretation of a religion all the time.

Colonel likes this.
  8. PLC1

PLC1 Moderator Staff Member

It's called confirmation bias, and it's seen in politics, in people who don't accept scientific proof (anti vaxxers, young Earth creationists, global warming denialists, believers in Sasquatch, the list is endless) It must be encoded in the human genome in some way.

nytegeek likes this.
  9. Colonel

Colonel Member

[​IMG]