The Decline of Manliness in Contemporary Society

Do you think the decline of manliness is good or bad?

• It's more good than bad

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • It's more bad than good

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Squall

Has anyone else noticed a loss of manliness over the course of the past hundred years or so? It seems like men are slowly becoming more and more like women. Men are starting to think it's acceptable to show their emotions and be open, more like girls than men. Don't get me wrong, sometimes this can be a good thing and can lead to more successful relationships and to accepting other people for who they are. However it can also be done too much, to the point where it becomes pathetic, liberal, weak, and general failures of society. It can also lead to ruining relationships, since while many girls claim to want a really sensitive guy, they also want a strong man with a mysterious dark side to him. Please tell me that I'm not the only person here who noticed this. Also, what do you suggest we do about it? And last but not least, do you think that the loss of manliness is more good than bad or more bad than good?

Werbung:
I really don't see this trend. Reading letters home from soldiers in the Civil War I see poignant admissions of failure and fear, homesickness and lovesickness. The strong-silent type is a Hollywood creation, John Wayne, Alan Ladd and such.Novels perpetuate it also. To be sure gay acceptance has changed behaviour, but not to make men less manly. The simple difference between men and women are still the same, women want to talk about the problem, men want to fix it.

"Manliness" might be a difficult thing to define accurately, but with that said I do think there have been changes that suggest a reduction in masculinity.

Sperm counts have been going down in much of the world for decades and a number of things have been noted as causitive. For my part I think fat-soluble chemicals such as PCB's, which act like estrogens in the body, are largely responsible. Along with a decline in masculinity we are seeing a rise in precocious puberty in girls which would go hand in hand with chemicals acting like estrogen in their developing bodies.

I doubt that gay people have anything to do with it, but again we have research showing that male fetuses exposed to even tiny doses of estrogen or estrogen mimicking chemicals tend to be feminized to a greater or lesser degree depending on where they are in their development. Too, the number of transgendered people is increasing, these are people born somewhere between male and female, and often with a mix of male and female traits.

I remember a 1980's report in a Scandinavian Medical Journal about a link between women taking the pill and an increase in homosexuality. It made news for one day and I never found the story again.

If "manliness" is the over-bearing, macho, "I can kick anybody's ass in this bar!!", mouth breathing, low-I.Q, knuckle-dragging, foul-smelling, loud mouths, beats wife, in bar rooms, then I am glad to see "manliness" go.

Werbung:
This is a quote from a discussion of human breast size and why breast size appears to be increasing worldwide.

"A final, and far more terrifying, explanation is that of excessive estrogens in the environment. Due to industrial pollution and widespread use of oral contraceptives, there are high levels of estrogens found in water in many places. In some rivers, fish are dying out because there's so much estrogen in the water that all the fish are born female. In this scenario, average breast size is growing due to this hormonal pollution. .. " (My emphasis.)

Back