The 10 jobs where you're most (and least) likely to be replaced by a robot

I am certainly envious of anyone that has a career in software, where bugs are immediately known. That does not happen in AI.

Training an AI system to respond to all possible physical changes, in even highly controlled environments, is highly unlikely outside the manufacturing area. After the first software release, unforeseen problems continually come back from the users in the field.
You're talking about running factories. That's not AI. It's fetch a sheet of steel, position blade 3mm from upper right, cut down 6cm....

Werbung:
Another example that leads to falling employment is in web programming. At one time programmers had to learn the intricacies of the hypertext language. But systems have come about so that a web page is as easy as a word processor. It is further made easier by thousands of templates for multipage websites that cover all kinds of applications. Web designers no longer need to know programming at all. The hiring of professional web developers is more to take advantage of their aesthetic skills than technical skill.
You need to spend money of security and interfacing the Web front end to the systems that do the real work.

What will happen when a good portion of adults is unemployed?
Exactly and it depends upon how they are seen, are they a resource or a problem. AT the moment economic migrants in most of the world are see as a problem.

Web designers no longer need to know programming at all.
The main thrust of recent government thinking is for their people to join the computer revolution, in the last 5 years there has been a 30% increase in US under-gradulates per year in computer science but are the middle classes coding themselves out of existence? Surley the one thing that computers in the near future will be able to do better than humans is designing new computers and coding?
Is the traditional middle class coming to an end?

Exactly and it depends upon how they are seen, are they a resource or a problem. AT the moment economic migrants in most of the world are see as a problem.

The main thrust of recent government thinking is for their people to join the computer revolution, in the last 5 years there has been a 30% increase in US under-gradulates per year in computer science but are the middle classes coding themselves out of existence? Surley the one thing that computers in the near future will be able to do better than humans is designing new computers and coding?
Is the traditional middle class coming to an end?
The middle class won't have to end as long as society can adapt to a situation in which machines do most of the work.

... and assuming that there is gainful employment enough at the wage levels sufficient to maintain their consumer patterns.
Right. And maintaining that gainful employment is going to be more and more difficult as machines take over more and more of the jobs.

The white collars will need to adapt or lose. They are the biggest bang for buck and therefore target.
The service class may not change much as there is little benefit.
The labor class is at risk if they m ake too much to where it's cheaper to buy robots.
While in theory most every job is possible to do by machine robots are not so cheap that it makes sense to buy them.

That is until an imposed minimum wage, and associated costs with employing people gets so high that it becomes the better alternative to pony up the money for machines that work 24/7...don't need family time off....and don't complain about working conditions.

I fully expect to be having my big mac being prepared by a robot within the next 10 years...the only people working in fast food will be technicians keeping the robots on line. And I bet when I say no pickles, it will be no pickles when I get it.

Robots can take care of the elderly without abusing them and help kids.
I have a bee in my bonnet over elder abuse, not trying to attack you. An interesting concept but I doubt it will go anywhere

Me too...since I am not so far from maybe being in that position. I would much rather be cared for by a machine with a job to do than an angry punk who thinks he is worth more than he actually is and takes his impotent rage out on whoever he thinks won't bust his nose for him..

That is until an imposed minimum wage, and associated costs with employing people gets so high that it becomes the better alternative to pony up the money for machines that work 24/7...don't need family time off....and don't complain about working conditions.

I fully expect to be having my big mac being prepared by a robot within the next 10 years...the only people working in fast food will be technicians keeping the robots on line. And I bet when I say no pickles, it will be no pickles when I get it.
Fast food is perfect for robotics

You're talking about running factories. That's not AI. It's fetch a sheet of steel, position blade 3mm from upper right, cut down 6cm....
It is AI when you are looking at an IC chip and trying to find it's location, rotation and ever changing brightness and contrast. The appearance of transistors and wiring are unpredictable because of interference caused by transparent coatings at the wavelength of light. All that has to be done in less than 20 milliseconds.

Visual feedback with neural net training in the field is used where operators are unskilled and the system must reprogram new chips within seconds.

Why do you keep arguing about an area where you obviously have no experience?

Werbung:
Yup. You WILL get it your way.
Just at a McD and they had touch screen ordering. Gave you a pie to use it.
It's coming fast.
Sit down restaurants have it, too. Chilis has little touch screens on the tables you can use to order, and to pay your bill. It won't be long before the have a robot bringing the food as well.

Think of it: Self driving tractors till the soil, robots bring in the harvest, self driving trucks deliver it, robots prepare it, and the customer orders it on a touch screen. What will be left for humans to do?

Back