The 10 Commandments

Werbung:
What is the point in posting the ten commandments? It is not like everyone has not heard of them before. Duh?

What is the point in posting the ten commandments? It is not like everyone has not heard of them before. Duh?

Perhaps this was person overcome with the need to speak, but had no words of their own and so spoke with what they had been taught since childhood.

The 11th Commandment is my favorite.

THOU SHALL NOT FORCE YOUR RELIGION ON ME

I wish I could do sound effects... a nice clap of thunder would have fit in there nice...:)

3Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

13Thou shalt not kill.

14Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15Thou shalt not steal.

16Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

KJV courtesy of biblegateway.com

Are you even aware that you are posting the new version of the 10 and not the original? The Bible gets changed and people don't even know it--so much for it being the Word of God.

If the King James Version was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for us.:rolleyes:

Jesus spoke Elizabethian English.

Aren't there 600 some commandments, here and there? Where does it say not to eat pork, for example?

What language was used in Israel in the 6th or 7th century BC? I suppose that would be the original text. There obviously have been many translations of the original text over the years.

Prior to that, there is no recorded text, it was all word of mouth.

If the King James Version was good enough for Jesus, it is good enough for us.:rolleyes:

Well, Jesus never saw the King James version, but interestingly enough this most popular version of the Bible was put together and approved by King James who was a flaming homosexual. I think the irony is wonderful.

What is the original biblical text of the 10th and what is the new one?

It was the 6th, not the 10th, to which I refered and in my old Bibles it says, "Thou shalt not kill" and most of the public versions of if more than 20 years old are "kill" instead of the new version which uses the word "murder". This is just the latest revision to a book that has been revises endlessly since it was voted into existence at the Council of Nicea--where it should be noted that they had huge fights about whether Jesus was devine, and this 325 years after His death. Christianity is based on myth and has no proof of it's claim to divine origin.

If we would not kill each other, that would put an end to war. Humanity couldn't let that happen. What would humanity do for amusement, if they weren't busy killing each over petty differences?

Werbung:
Hypothetical question:
Let us say for the sake of argument that the existence of a supreme being were a scientific accepted fact. Given that, what scientific evidence exists that the supreme being requires any acknowledgment?

The existence of a Bible, Koran, Torah, Thoughts of Mao, etc., is not evidence. They are just volumes of ancient lore.

In other words, the existence of a creator would not necessarily be defacto justification of any organized religion

Disagreements?

Back