Terror Alert RED

sarah

CNN is calling the most recent terror plot the "worst terror plot since 9/11". althugh I'm not sure if I would go that far, our government is. it's on every news channel and our terror alert level is now red or high. Bush says that the US is 'at war with islamic facicts', because of the terrorists' plot to decimate 10 more jetliners headed toward america. although I do agree that we as a nation need to ensure that once a plot like this is foiled, our department of homeland security needs to step up and defend us. I also see the events of the past day as a convient excuse for Tony Blair and George Bush to look like heros, and take the eye off Iraq by focusing on another invasion.

Werbung:
So very true. I don't like to generalize, but lots of americans forget about news stories because new ones are in their face.

As an American in the UK, the coverage was a bit different from the perspective over here. One of the most worrying aspects is the huge fundamentalist population in Birmingham, which the Brits have so carefully handled with kid gloves. I find the differences in how the U.S. would react and how the U.K. reacts on their on ground very different. I think the political correctness here has created a lot of problems and lack of security!

Yeah i heard the new buzz word yesterday as well. 'at war with islamic facicts' I cant wait to see what happens when Bush leaves office and what the next president will do in his place. I do at times wonder if Bush is creating as much upheaval as possible now because he knows when he leaves these places will never get touched again. I hope that makes sense lol.

I think that Bush as done less for this country than any president yet. He is our very own dictator. I find if appauling that he continues to help hate fester for other countries. He is egging folks on into the tensions they are stepping up to now. I would be afraid to be of Middle Eastern decent in this country right now.

kokotai said:
I think that Bush as done less for this country than any president yet. He is our very own dictator. I find if appauling that he continues to help hate fester for other countries. He is egging folks on into the tensions they are stepping up to now. I would be afraid to be of Middle Eastern decent in this country right now.

Since his 'election' in 2000 Bush has caused turmoil and unrest in much of the world. I despise what he has done to international relations, as well as the way other countries view americans and our government.
I can only imagine what it must be like for people of middle eastern decent in the US right now, I feel for them and can only hope that once Bush leaves office they will be able to live here without fear of 'the Patriot act'.

I think the question to ask about people of Middle Eastern decent right now is how fundamentalist they are and why are they here. Of course, there are regular people who just wanted a better life and are good citizens, but what about the cells of fundamentalists who mean harm? You can't deny they exist.

The best way to prevent extremist terrorists is to integrate everyone fully into society. Civil wars seldom start when the economy is booming. Terrorism rarely flourishes when people feel honorably treated.

Just to give an idea of how much of a difference it makes that the terror alert is red, NYC has been on red alert since 9/11. At first the red alert meant that National Guards would be posted throughout the city, in subways, on street corners, in parks, etc... While the alert color hasn't changed, the only time I see the National Guard anymore is down by the NYSE and the UN. Homeland Security has even cut our anti-terror funding, basically saying that we have nothing worth protecting anymore.

For all intents and purposes, the red alert basically means you have to get to the airport 3 hours before your flight and hope you actually get to take off.

I'm in new york city and a red alert could mean less than nothing to me. Its not going to stop me from doing absolutely anything I would do otherwise.

good for you, thats how I feel too. if we worried about it too much the terrorists would win.

Since his 'election' in 2000 Bush has caused turmoil and unrest in much of the world. I despise what he has done to international relations, as well as the way other countries view americans and our government.
I can only imagine what it must be like for people of middle eastern decent in the US right now, I feel for them and can only hope that once Bush leaves office they will be able to live here without fear of 'the Patriot act'.

I agree to a point. The 9/11 attacks were planned out during the Clinton years. They were going to hit us no matter who are president was. Unfortunately the country as a whole wanted revenge and i dont think we would have been happy to turn a cheek during that time frame if you remember the first feelings after it happened.

I agree to a point. The 9/11 attacks were planned out during the Clinton years. They were going to hit us no matter who are president was. Unfortunately the country as a whole wanted revenge and i dont think we would have been happy to turn a cheek during that time frame if you remember the first feelings after it happened.
I said nothing about when the attacks were planned, I was only saying that Bush didn't handle the aftermath as well as he could have.

I'm in new york city and a red alert could mean less than nothing to me. Its not going to stop me from doing absolutely anything I would do otherwise.

Exactly. There is nothing going on here now, outside of maybe the airports, that wasn't going on before the liquid bomb threats.

Werbung:
Does that mean people drinking Aquafina are now terror suspects?

Damn government over-reaction.

Back