so which is worse ?

dogtowner

Staff member
read or dont read

the administration for loading this into the porkulus or the school disatricts for spending it all on 2009-2010 ?

refusal to address the simple fact hat there was going to be far less money is a disgrace across government thats going to leave very painful cuts for 2010-2011.

The nation's public schools are falling under severe financial stress as states slash education spending and drain federal stimulus money that staved off deep classroom cuts and widespread job losses.

School districts have already suffered big budget cuts since the recession began two years ago, but experts say the cash crunch will get a lot worse as states run out of stimulus dollars.

The result in many hard-hit districts: more teacher layoffs, larger class sizes, smaller paychecks, fewer electives and extracurricular activities, and decimated summer school programs.

The situation is particularly ugly in California, where school districts are preparing for mass layoffs and swelling class sizes as the state grapples with another massive budget shortfall.

The crisis concerns parents like Michelle Parker in San Francisco, where the school district is preparing to lay off hundreds of school employees and raise class sizes because it faces a $113 million budget deficit over next two years.

"I'm worried they're not going to have the quality education that's

going to make them competitive in a global society," said Parker, who has three kids in district elementary schools.

Around the country, state governments are cutting money for schools as they grapple with huge budget gaps triggered by high unemployment, sluggish retail sales and falling real estate prices. A recent report by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities found that 41 states face midyear budget shortfalls totaling $35 billion.

"The states are facing a dismal financial picture," said Jack Jennings,

president of the Center on Education Policy.

The Obama administration's $787 billion federal stimulus package provided roughly $100 billion for education, including $54 billion to stabilize state budgets. In October the White House said the stimulus created or saved 250,000 education jobs.

But many states have used most of their stimulus money, leaving little to cushion budget cuts in the coming fiscal year.

Werbung:
read or dont read

the administration for loading this into the porkulus or the school disatricts for spending it all on 2009-2010 ?

refusal to address the simple fact hat there was going to be far less money is a disgrace across government thats going to leave very painful cuts for 2010-2011.

Both are horrible, but in defense of the schools, were they not told they had to spend it all now?

it was my understanding it was a two year program.

Ahh I never checked into it but was told by our stupidvisors that it was just to get us through this fiscal year (june 30th 2010)

If it was meant to help for 2 years and they used it in this one 6 month window, they are dumb.

Our district admits to being flat broke come July 1st.

Ahh I never checked into it but was told by our stupidvisors that it was just to get us through this fiscal year (june 30th 2010)

If it was meant to help for 2 years and they used it in this one 6 month window, they are dumb.

Our district admits to being flat broke come July 1st.

And did they really think that it was all rainbows and daiseys next year ?

Ain't just y'all. Ours did the same fool thing. And they axes are going to be swinging for next year.

And did they really think that it was all rainbows and daiseys next year ?

Ain't just y'all. Ours did the same fool thing. And they axes are going to be swinging for next year.

Portland Oregon schools are threatening to strike and guess why? They were offered (reluctantly) a 7% raise. They want 8 and are willing to strike for it. they figure with the bail out and the new tax on business and the "rich" here in Oregon they should be able to have it.

Eugene teachers union made it clear as of July 1st they want back the 7 furlough days, even though 4 of them are not even real days, cost of living raise, step increase raise and some other raise. They have not threatened to strike yet but they want it all and they want it now and there will be no taking less.

remember though, its for the kids!

Portland Oregon schools are threatening to strike and guess why? They were offered (reluctantly) a 7% raise. They want 8 and are willing to strike for it. they figure with the bail out and the new tax on business and the "rich" here in Oregon they should be able to have it.

Eugene teachers union made it clear as of July 1st they want back the 7 furlough days, even though 4 of them are not even real days, cost of living raise, step increase raise and some other raise. They have not threatened to strike yet but they want it all and they want it now and there will be no taking less.

remember though, its for the kids!

O-M-G

I guess they figure if they are the 90-95 % who keep a job they want a wicked good raise.

O-M-G

I guess they figure if they are the 90-95 % who keep a job they want a wicked good raise.

Portland district lands better contracts than my district. We are a bit smaller but we got our 3% cost of living raise while everyone around us were getting hours cut, wages cut. Got my step increase too! after my 3 furlough days I still made more than before once you counted in my various raises. And due to the tax on business and "the rich" I will get back those 3 furlough days and more step increases and cost of living increases, but other people here in Oregon in the private sector will still be suffering, still getting laid off, reduction in pay and hours. But its all for the kids, its not going to buy them any paper or basket balls but I guess what they really need is happy teachers and staff :)

Something is not right. If we are public servents and the public is our King so to speak, why are the servents doing better than the king?

Portland district lands better contracts than my district. We are a bit smaller but we got our 3% cost of living raise while everyone around us were getting hours cut, wages cut. Got my step increase too! after my 3 furlough days I still made more than before once you counted in my various raises. And due to the tax on business and "the rich" I will get back those 3 furlough days and more step increases and cost of living increases, but other people here in Oregon in the private sector will still be suffering, still getting laid off, reduction in pay and hours. But its all for the kids, its not going to buy them any paper or basket balls but I guess what they really need is happy teachers and staff :)

Something is not right. If we are public servents and the public is our King so to speak, why are the servents doing better than the king?

it will come to bite them, just look to your south to see yourself shortly.

Werbung:
Back