Sick Of This

Status
Not open for further replies.
and yes I think some fail to notice how much work it can be to be a mod, I had evrything you can think of flame wars, fake posters, posters under 2nd 3rd wrth names...even a poster we where told died....who came back from the dead months later ( so I had to find out if he never died or someone got his account name somehow..ext....it was a Political board soap Opra..) I had to make new polls , review submited news ( we had our own new section ) and other stuff. it could take up alot of time some days....

so thanks

I appreciate it. Certainly you understand it is a thankless job. I dont get paid, but only care about debating the issues, the continuation of the site and increasing membership. It can certainly be tasking at times. It does take some time, and these days, I am busy with work, and also trying to put enough meat in the freezer to last me a winter. So I dont have a ton of time like I used to. In the winter when things die down for me, I will be around more. But in the meantime, I am spending more time dealing with issues like we are talking about, than posting or ensuring my family can eat well during the winter.

Werbung:
I have a question for mods? Do you only read posts and give warnings if someone snitches the post off, or do you also go and read the posts on a regular basis and when you see one that is a violation give warnings because it was wrong rather than because someone told?
It really depends. I wont speak for the other mods, but for myself, I can kinda tell which ones are going to be potential flash points and try to look at them more than others. But every reported post is looked at by a Moderator and if necessary removed. If it isnt necessary it is left in place.
And do you ever use judgment on why someone might say what they do?
In life, everything is a judgement issue. :D
If someone calls another person a moron then two posts later that person replies that your mentally twisted and the first guy turns you in for saying mentally twisted yet he said something equally wrong to start with. Do you ever check out how a topic escalated or do you just judge the post reported?
Certainly, if a non-reported post is worthy of an infraction and the Mods catch it, I am confident in saying it will be taken care of. Often times, there is to much to read in terms of daily posts for the mods. We rely to a certain extent on members to give us a heads up.
I have had so many crude, rude and lude and disgusting things said to me in posts, and every time by people who will "turn you in" if you try to defend yourself or just get so mad you snap BACK at them.

But I have never "turned them in" I always assumed mods read the posts regularly and acted accordingly. Am I mistaken?

Well again, the mods are human, have only so much time, and do rely on the members to let us know about stuff they see. I just posted in a thread by USHadItComing that you will probably like Obamanation. Whereas a member has used vulgar profanity in the purpose of name calling. I noticed, after it had 25 views and nobody had reported it. We really do rely on members to make us aware of things we miss that are aggregious. Please dont waste our time with petty things as we have been bogged down with lately. At this point it is a matter of better judgement and reasonable taste. If it crosses the line, let us know. If it is petty, dont bother. :)

I have a question for mods? Do you only read posts and give warnings if someone snitches the post off, or do you also go and read the posts on a regular basis and when you see one that is a violation give warnings because it was wrong rather than because someone told?

Remember, we're posters as well as moderators. I don't know about Bunz and 9sub but I generally don't go out of my way to read threads just to look for infringements; that said, I do catch one or two in threads I'm not a part of simply because I was checking them out for one reason or another.

And like Bunz said, we look at all reported posts.

And do you ever use judgment on why someone might say what they do? If someone calls another person a moron then two posts later that person replies that your mentally twisted and the first guy turns you in for saying mentally twisted yet he said something equally wrong to start with. Do you ever check out how a topic escalated or do you just judge the post reported?

Depends. No doubt everyone who posts those types of things could come up with some justification for it. We review those types of things case-by-case. Generally, though, we lean towards the "once you've said it, you're responsible for it" mantra - someone else might get in trouble for baiting, but only if it's malicious.

I have had so many crude, rude and lude and disgusting things said to me in posts, and every time by people who will "turn you in" if you try to defend yourself or just get so mad you snap BACK at them.

Resisting that temptation is the difference between the jungle and civilization.

But I have never "turned them in" I always assumed mods read the posts regularly and acted accordingly. Am I mistaken?

We do our best, but no, we don't read everything that gets posted on the site - not by a long shot. If someone says something particularly vile to you, your best bet is to report it. It doesn't make you a snitch and it's the only way to ensure we'll catch it.

Remember, we're posters as well as moderators. I don't know about Bunz and 9sub but I generally don't go out of my way to read threads just to look for infringements; that said, I do catch one or two in threads I'm not a part of simply because I was checking them out for one reason or another.

And like Bunz said, we look at all reported posts.

Depends. No doubt everyone who posts those types of things could come up with some justification for it. We review those types of things case-by-case. Generally, though, we lean towards the "once you've said it, you're responsible for it" mantra - someone else might get in trouble for baiting, but only if it's malicious.

Resisting that temptation is the difference between the jungle and civilization.

We do our best, but no, we don't read everything that gets posted on the site - not by a long shot. If someone says something particularly vile to you, your best bet is to report it. It doesn't make you a snitch and it's the only way to ensure we'll catch it.

Thank you for the reply :)

I dont think I can report posts, its to 1984 for me. But I also am not sure how well I can hold my temper so I will need to just avoid some posters.

There are at least two posters here ( I think they could be one in the same)What they do is say mean rude things till you just finally say shut up or your a moron and then report you. They know you wont report the dozen things they did first, so really they win. they weed out any one with a differnt point of view. Till the only one left is the point of view they hold true.

I think there should be a new rule. Anyone who reports a post is held to a higher standard. If lets say I report a post someone called me an idiot or told me to shut up, and turns out I have done same or worse to them or to ANY ONE, I get suspended or some sort of punishment. That is the only way you can stop these drive by people who are only here to see how many of another point of view they can get into trouble.

It really depends. I wont speak for the other mods, but for myself, I can kinda tell which ones are going to be potential flash points and try to look at them more than others. But every reported post is looked at by a Moderator and if necessary removed. If it isnt necessary it is left in place.

In life, everything is a judgement issue. :D

Certainly, if a non-reported post is worthy of an infraction and the Mods catch it, I am confident in saying it will be taken care of. Often times, there is to much to read in terms of daily posts for the mods. We rely to a certain extent on members to give us a heads up.

Well again, the mods are human, have only so much time, and do rely on the members to let us know about stuff they see. I just posted in a thread by USHadItComing that you will probably like Obamanation. Whereas a member has used vulgar profanity in the purpose of name calling. I noticed, after it had 25 views and nobody had reported it. We really do rely on members to make us aware of things we miss that are aggregious. Please dont waste our time with petty things as we have been bogged down with lately. At this point it is a matter of better judgement and reasonable taste. If it crosses the line, let us know. If it is petty, dont bother. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I do understand you guys are busy and you are not getting paid to do this. I dont really have anything to say to the canadian so I will pass on that :)

Werbung:
Thank you for the reply :)

Sure thing.

I dont think I can report posts, its to 1984 for me. But I also am not sure how well I can hold my temper so I will need to just avoid some posters.

Gotta do what you gotta do. If that's what you feel you have to do in order to stay inside the rules (and stay comfortable) then by all means, do so.

There are at least two posters here ( I think they could be one in the same)What they do is say mean rude things till you just finally say shut up or your a moron and then report you. They know you wont report the dozen things they did first, so really they win. they weed out any one with a differnt point of view. Till the only one left is the point of view they hold true.

I think there should be a new rule. Anyone who reports a post is held to a higher standard. If lets say I report a post someone called me an idiot or told me to shut up, and turns out I have done same or worse to them or to ANY ONE, I get suspended or some sort of punishment. That is the only way you can stop these drive by people who are only here to see how many of another point of view they can get into trouble.

We'll consider it. I don't think that sounds like a bad idea at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back