Should we love our own culture?

Jason76

https://www.houseofpolitics.com/threads/hillbilly-will-be-the-death-of-us-all.18820/

Of course, this is all dark sarcasm I will have you know. :rolleyes: Some of that is getting back at parents :cry: (and the place I grew up in), but everybody does that.

If we don't love our own culture, does that mean we're a wuss? :cry: However, in many cases, why should we love our own culture, or even our parents if we decide they are culturally horrible? Why does it seem everyone wants to bully people into conformity?

Should we love our own nation, even if it's shown to be evil? In that case, should we stay and try to change it, or should we follow the philosophy which says, "Love it or leave it."? :mad:

BTW: I actually love my own culture, especially bluegrass, but I still very cynical about it. No, I am not gay.

Last edited:
Werbung:
Right, people pretend the past didn't exist. Also, many of them haven't changed. In that case, why should anyone pretend to totally like the culture simply to bow down to peer pressure, look cool, and not shake the boat?

What bugs me is people refusing to learn from the past. But of course first you have to know history...

Often people allow emotion to overpower historical knowledge. In addtion, it just isn't cool to be sensitive or go against the crowd. In other cases, going against the status quo can cost you your job, freedom, or life. Of course, it is true though that many don't know history, only stuff here and there from biased sources.

Wiping something out of the history books doesn't mean that it never happened, and I think it's important that people know and accept the good and the bad things that's happened in their own country.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you should love your culture, but at least you should know about it, and I don't think a lot of people do. We're more ashamed these days of our history and culture more than anything.

Werbung:
In most cultures around the world being anti-racist is seen as being anti-macho. Therefore, a lot of people, especially males, are trying to be as incredibly racist, while others refuse to condemn racist behavior. Of course, you can say the same thing for homophobia.

Ultimately, to some extent, it might explain why a lot of people know history, but refuse to challenge tradition.

Back