Selected Images from Lebanon (WARNING - GRAPHIC)

I find it hard o believe that Israel is implementing a scheme to do much more than fight with the people who have been in conflict with them for years. I don’t believe that Israel has a socio-economic reasoning for the bombing; I think they are just trying to fight the ‘good’ fight. Sure the Hezbollah are not attacking from the Lebanese capital, but compare the Israelis tactics to the US’s in Iraq… how many civilians were bombed over there?
And for the record, Israel do have claim to Israel and the Palestinian people and Israelis both need to find a peaceful resolution in which the land can be shared peacefully. Unfortunately the likelihood of a resolution such as that coming to fruition is slim to none.

Werbung:
Word2Action said:
I am completely opposed to the destruction of residential areas when it comes to war and thats what makes this kind of conflict so difficult for me when terrorists and the like tend to hide in residential areas and disguise themselves as civilians.

I agree. Jim - you do agree with this post right?

You do agree that it is not right for terrorists or fighters to hide BEHIND civilians, right?

" How brave, courageous and bold are these Hez. fighters? Attack the enemy from behind a civilian multi family residence as was the case in 35 cases so far (perhaps using the roof as the FDC) THEN run away as fast as you can, leaving the women and children to pay the price. There's not much more despicable that that."

This is happening every day.

Jim- surely you do not believe in hiding behind civilians?

Downing airplanes?

"Hezbollah has taken this ancient, simple philosophy and made it into an art form. They kidnapped over 30 Americans in Lebanon between 1982 and 1992, several of whom they tortured to death. In fact, they were the main players in the Beirut hostage-taking frenzy of that era, grabbing anyone they thought they could use as a bargaining chip. They hijacked at least one airliner, murdering an American Navy sailor who just happened to be on board. They have repeatedly invaded Israel and kidnapped Israelis to barter for captured prisoners -- occasionally brutally killing them first. They set up permanent stations near, around, and even within the posts of the UN peacekeepers.

Hezbollah, though, has in the last few years achieved the unimaginable: they have taken a large portion of a sovereign nation hostage. Southern Lebanon is pretty much their country, and the legitimate Lebanese government is powerless, impotent, and irrelevant where Hezbollah holds sway.

In their recent fighting with Israel, they have put that potential to good use. They use homes and mosques (and, I suspect, schools and hospitals) as weapons depots. They launch their attacks from residential neighborhoods, sidling up next to homes and apartment buildings before firing their rockets and missiles.

This puts Israel in a bind. Under the strict interpretation of the laws of war (itself very nearly an oxymoronic phrase), it is the obligation of combatants to maintain their distance from innocents, those who might be harmed due to their proximity to legitimate targets. In fact, the blame for such casualties is clearly (and rightly) placed on Hezbollah in this case"

http://wizbangblog.com/2006/07/31/the-fate-of-hostages.php

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2967276362246845611&q

Jim- do you agree with Isalmic suicide bombers?

"The critics of Israel’s “disproportionate response” apparently believe that a “proportionate response” would bring peace. Apparently these critics feel that the way to peace is that whenever Hezbollah fires rockets into Israeli cities and towns, then Israel should fire the same number of similar rockets back into Lebanese cities and towns. That when Hamas explodes a bomb in a crowed Israeli market, that Israel should explode a similar bomb in a crowed Palestinian market.

I get the feeling, however, that if Israel adopted such tactics, the current crop of critics would be among the first to castigate Israel for using such tactics. What amazes me are the number of liberals who have taken the side of the aggressors. You know, the ones who have openly stated their propose is the destruction of Israel."

Jim- can you imagine just one frustrated Israeli who after his family was killed (just today, a mother and a five year old son was killed in a house in Deir el Asad in Israel) ooh wait- i didn't hear the outrage in the world media, CNN, BBC et al about the grandparents and grandchildren who have been killed....
anyway..can you imagine just one frustrated Israeli who after his family was killed ..let's just say he went to a club, bar, restaurant and blew himself up to kill innocent people.... can you iamgine what the outrage would be and how the world would react to a suicide bombing aimed at innocent people in that case? This can happen, after all could it not? What would the response be?

The critics of Israel’s “disproportionate response” apparently believe that a “proportionate response” would bring peace. Apparently these critics feel that the way to peace is that whenever Hezbollah fires rockets into Israeli cities and towns, then Israel should fire the same number of similar rockets back into Lebanese cities and towns. That when Hamas explodes a bomb in a crowed Israeli market, that Israel should explode a similar bomb in a crowed Palestinian market.

I get the feeling, however, that if Israel adopted such tactics, the current crop of critics would be among the first to castigate Israel for using such tactics. What amazes me are the number of liberals who have taken the side of the aggressors. You know, the ones who have openly stated their propose is the destruction of Israel.

Posted by: Mac Lorry at July 31, 2006 10:27 AM

http://wizbangblog.com/2006/07/31/the-fate-of-hostages.php

If i was directly on either side of the conflict, instead of beinging supplies in to Hezzbollah fighters, familes (many who are now saying they were forced to stay) i would be bringing civilians out. I see civilians ripping up leaflets that warn of attackes against the fighters in the village. I would start walking and would have done so during the 24 hours of suspended air strikes that would have usually went after the rocket launchers that unfortunately have been placed within the residential buildings.

Shame on fighters who hide behind human sheilds. Shame!

Lisa: Israel's attacks on Lebanon have killed 900–1000 people; Hezbollah's attacks on Israel have killed fewer than 150. Furthermore, Israel has the means and opportunity to intercept the rockets being fired on its population, but it does not use them. Instead, it continues and expands its assault on its neighbor while talking about peace, using the rocket attacks as pretext for more military action.

Israel is trying to invade and take over Lebanon. There is no "disproportionate response"; the actions of Israel over the past few weeks were premeditated, not defensive or even responsive; the "kidnapped" soldiers were a convenient excuse. Turning city after city into rubble and sending in armed soldiers to cordon off land is never self-defense, and it is clearly not intended as a rescue mission. It would, however, be self-defense for Israel to use its military technology to block incoming rockets. I hate to get stuck on a point, but I really can't understand why they would make no attempt to intercept the rockets while crying that their people are not safe. It seems fishy to me.

And as for the "human shield" excuse, I'm not buying it. Israel is claiming to be hunting down rocket launcher sites, but then launching air strikes in and around Beirut, which is out of firing range. They say they're going after Hezbollah, but then all I see is blown-out apartment buildings, rows of demolished civilian cars, and charred bodies of innocents. Just because these people say they're attacking a "Hezbollah stronghold" doesn't mean that's what they actually blew up.

Furthermore, Hezbollah may be wrong in setting up shop near innocent people, but that doesn't absolve Israel of its massacres. They know that many civilians will die when they fire, yet they fire anyway. The attacks they prevent when they actually manage to hit a launcher would have possibly killed a couple people at most (thousands of Hezbollah rockets have yielded less than 150 Israeli deaths), yet the "defensive" attacks by Israel invariably cause dozens of deaths or more.

I believe that, overall, both sides are wrong. However, as the more powerful party, Israel bears the onus of responsibility for what is happening now. They refuse to ever negotiate with Hezbollah, Hamas, or any other militia, instead opting for over-the-top militarism every time. Israel could end this war within a couple days if it wanted to, but it doesn't. Mention the word ceasefire and Israel steps up its invasion, asserting its right to "defend itself" against the rocket attacks. At this rate, by the time there's a ceasefire, there won't be any Lebanese left to make peace with.

And as for there not being Israeli terrorists, you're wrong. There are groups, especially near Gaza, that pride themselves on harassing and assaulting Arabs. The Israeli government doesn't address the problem unless it absolutely must, because, after all, they are essentially carrying out Israel's foreign policy.

The unfortunate thing is that in almost every war, innocent people are sacrificed in order for one government to gain control over the enemy. It happens all the time, and it is just endlessly unfortunate that people still think the whole “human shield” thing is a valid tactic.

Werbung:
Back