Romney's Foreign Policy

qalam

It would seem that someone else has an affinity for Teddy's words.

(06-16) 13:17 PDT Dubuque, Iowa (AP) --

Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney said Saturday that if he's elected, he wants "to carry the big stick" by increasing the size of the nation's military.

The former Massachusetts governor said his plans include boosting the size of the military by at least 100,000 troops and increasing the military budget.

Romney recalled the words of President Theodore Roosevelt, who said the United States should "Speak softly and carry a big stick," in its foreign relations.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/06/16/politics/p115022D30.DTL

Werbung:
Romney defended President Bush's performance, noting his policies extend beyond Iraq. He called Bush a statesman who has shored up the nation's economy, expanded renewable energy capabilities and chosen appropriate U.S. Supreme Court justices.

"Everything he does, he does from the standpoint of what is best for the American people," Romney said.

This is clearly a statement to appeal to the NeoCon base of the Republican party.

I see Romney weak, perhaps weaker than the other candidates, on foreign policy.

Werbung:
I believe many of the poiticians are mistaken into believing that the majority of Americans still view the threat of foreign terrorism as the primary issue. However, with the rising costs of most everything and wages that are not keeping pace, I believe they are grossly miscalculating.

And as the health care debate transpires with the introduction of Mr. Moore's film and the fact that more and more of us are being clobbered by the loopholes in that system, a new dynamic will become apperent. The more we increase the military, the further we are going to be from being able to have what every other major nation has with regards to free health services. And don't discount the effects cause by our deficit sepending.

I'm hoping the people will wake up to the late President Eisenhower's counsel. Selling an enlarged military is going to be a tough sell.

Back