Richard Dawkins: I can't be sure God does not exist

dogtowner

Staff member
somebody is going to be unhappy

Yeah that Dawkins, the one who used to rock.

He told the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, that he preferred to call himself an agnostic rather than an atheist.

The two men were taking part in a public “dialogue” at Oxford University at the end of a week which has seen bitter debate about the role of religion in public life in Britain.

There was surprise when Prof Dawkins acknowledged that he was less than 100 per cent certain of his conviction that there is no creator.

The philosopher Sir Anthony Kenny, who chaired the discussion, interjected: “Why don’t you call yourself an agnostic?” Prof Dawkins answered that he did.

An incredulous Sir Anthony replied: “You are described as the world’s most famous atheist.”
Prof Dawkins said that he was “6.9 out of seven” sure of his beliefs.

“I think the probability of a supernatural creator existing is very very low,” he added.

Werbung:
There are two separate concepts that need to be understood here, Belief and Knowledge. These are not the same thing. Agnosticism is about knowledge, not belief. You would have to be able to conclusively prove the existence, or non existence, of God in order to claim you actually know whether or not God exists. Because there is simply no way to prove or disprove the existence of God, technically that makes us all Agnostics.

Theism, Atheism, Anti-Theism, these all pertain to belief, not knowledge.

Theists believe God does exist, despite their inability to prove his existence.
Anti-Theists believe God does not exist, despite their inability to disprove his existence.
Atheists do not have any beliefs regarding the existence, or non-existence, of God.

Well said of course Gen but Dr Dawkins says he's agnostic. And I say good for him. I think he's tantalizingly close to seeing the light when he says...

Prof Dawkins told him: “What I can’t understand is why you can’t see the extraordinary beauty of the idea that life started from nothing – that is such a staggering, elegant, beautiful thing, why would you want to clutter it up with something so messy as a God?”

... that's well on its way to being as good a description of Intelligent Design.

I wasn't disputing Dawkins admission of Agnosticism, I'm actually quite surprised that he's willing to admit it. His most ardent followers would never admit to such a thing, in their minds they know God does not exist - How they know is not up for discussion, they just know. As for ID, Dawkins quote sounds like he's invoking Occums Razor, I could be wrong, but he seems to be saying that the idea that we come from nothing is more reasonable than claims of ID.

He doesnt excist!!! He doesnt answer prayers. Here are examples

I didnt get Married
I didnt become a millionare
My Orioles didnt go to the World Series
My Ravens didnt go in the Superbowl
My Diabates isnt cured

So he doesnt excist.

I wasn't disputing Dawkins admission of Agnosticism, I'm actually quite surprised that he's willing to admit it. His most ardent followers would never admit to such a thing, in their minds they know God does not exist - How they know is not up for discussion, they just know. As for ID, Dawkins quote sounds like he's invoking Occums Razor, I could be wrong, but he seems to be saying that the idea that we come from nothing is more reasonable than claims of ID.

Oh no didn't intend to imply that, sorry.

I was pretty surprised as well but his disciples always seem to exceed his personal and stated views (I suspect it sems cooler to do that than actually comprehend what he had to say). I'm wondering if he's getting a little older and the notion of mortality is on his mind. You're probably right with the OR tack but with the language he chooses he does, in my opinion, edge him toward ID a bit.

I didnt get Married
My Diabates isnt cured

So he doesnt excist.

He does answer them just not in ways we understand.
For instance the O's are way back in the line behind the Cubbies.
The Ravens need a QB, one prayer at a time.

Thats why i want the Ravens trade for Manning.

Didnt you see the Tampa Bay Rays go into World Series 3 years ago? They were one of the worst teams in baseball. If they can go in there so can my Orioles.

I didnt get Married
My Diabates isnt cured

So he doesnt excist.
I think you're confusing God with someone else...

green-genie.gif

I didnt get Married
My Diabates isnt cured

So he doesnt excist.

I could give a much longer list of prayers answered. Perhaps God just doesn't like you?

Werbung:
Back