Pirates get fired on, trying to capture Italian cruise ship

Andy

One item of interest, not covered in the story, was the use of professional security service. The mercenary service, much like Blackwater, were the ones that fired into the air to ward off the would-be pirates. Unlike Blackwater, this private security service, comes from Israel! *GASP* The Jewish mercs, stopped the Muslim pirates!

It's interesting that none of this was mentioned on the BBC, but was found at Glasgow Herald.

I could only find a CNN reference to this story in passing, and of course it mentioned none of this.

Werbung:

One item of interest, not covered in the story, was the use of professional security service. The mercenary service, much like Blackwater, were the ones that fired into the air to ward off the would-be pirates. Unlike Blackwater, this private security service, comes from Israel! *GASP* The Jewish mercs, stopped the Muslim pirates!

It's interesting that none of this was mentioned on the BBC, but was found at Glasgow Herald.

I could only find a CNN reference to this story in passing, and of course it mentioned none of this.

ALL RIGHT ANDY!!!!!!! GOOD JOB!

I almost can't believe it. We (you & me:D)are on the same page about arming merchant ships at sea to help stop or if needed kill off scumbag pirates. You went a little off the reservation acting like most all shipping countries don't hate pirates or report enough on victories over pirates...

But hey I'm still enamored by your relevant and correct thinking this post. Thank you.

OH AND IF ROB'S LOOKING IN A QUESTION TO HIM BECAUSE ROB YOU SEEM TO HAVE A GOOD MILITARY BEND YOURSELF?

What do you make of the captured and freed American ship captain's remarks on the Hill? He believes arming merchant ships, possibly condensing and identifying shipping lanes in a security fashion and running more military patrol ships and boats in those shipping lanes WOULD make a big difference.

I know we've discussed the enormity of the area but with this coming from someone that I would think has a good understanding himself of that enormity might this not be something we should ramp up to?

Your thoughts...

.........I'm in favour of a rather less conventional method. Now being British I would not like to go against the "fair play" ethos we try and employ during our interaction with foreign folk. The British Government has always found it better to use the softly softly approach as this method has provided much positive feedback from enemy combatants in the past. The British Government is always looking for the fair and ethical way to resolve conflict, they do so like to take on board the comments and inputs of those we seek to kill. I’ll get round to this in a moment……

Firstly though a review. Our present approach, or at least that of the Royal Navy, is based upon a series of cautious yet highly complex systems and procedures built around pro-active operational response based on years of maritime experience. The first stage is the use of the highly modern reconnaissance and tracking systems built into our modern warships; this system is called “the eye”! It involves crew members lining the ship’s rails and peering out to sea or could even involve the more advanced systems which allow the use of “binoculars” I don’t think any other navy apart from the Malawian Navy has access to such technology!

Upon target acquisition an instant response is transmitted to the nerve centre of the ship such signal usually takes the form of jumping up and down waving ones arms (possibly even legs) as wildly as possible whilst trying to point in the general direction of the target. The next stage of the response is regarded as the most critical as it involves the application of multiple layers of target analysis and processing options in the command and control centre, which typically involves the Captain scratching his head and wondering when tea and cakes are due to be served. Redundancy, however, is built into the system, thus targeting options and response analysis can be passed over to the Tactical Officer and the Weapons Officer. These gentlemen have the executive authority to commence hostile operations against identified targets but their response is usually limited to scratching of the head and wondering what to do whilst also enquiring when tea and cakes are to be served.

These courses of action are based on the premise that the highly complex and sophisticated armaments and weapons systems carried on board the advanced Somali pirate vessels could indeed counter the armaments of a standard Type 45 Destroyer. When such doubts are relayed to the Captain he will generally employ a series of established tactical manoeuvres designed to confuse and unbalance the attackers – this tactic is called “scarpering”, or in more simple and less militaristic jargon, running away as fast as his little gas turbines will carry him. This action is the mainstay of Royal Naval tactical engagements conducted against those of the darker ethnic origins as it means we couldn’t possibly harm a hair on those poor pirates’ heads because if we did we’d be sued in The Hague for breaching their Human Rights.

Now getting back to conflict resolution, personally, and please don’t pass this on any further as it could be taken as being seditious, I would track them back to their home bases and flatten the little bastards with a MOAB.........and let the dogs deal with the debris ......job done, home for tea and medals!

Scotsman said: Now getting back to conflict resolution, personally, and please don’t pass this on any further as it could be taken as being seditious, I would track them back to their home bases and flatten the little bastards with a MOAB.........and let the dogs deal with the debris ......job done, home for tea and medals!

LMAO...perfection! Me, I just hire some of those unemployed Black Water mercenaries and keep them busy...such as the Italian Cruse ship did. All of the weapons were locked into a vault until it was necessary to take up arms for protection...and then WOW, weren't the pirates surprised, someone actually fired back at those scoundrels. HA!

the problem you can run into with armed cargo ships is escalation. At some point it could end in a bloody arms race of pirates against the mercs on the ships. given that al qaeda I am more then sure is in the background of some of these ops, the arms would not be hard to come by. The good thing is that as of now the primary goal of the pirates is the crew itself for ransom, not the ships making killing the whole crew and more heavy response less likely...but there is nothing that says that cant change. Better Intel and taking out there bases I think is a more productive choice for now, but it may come to armed ships...but I think some overlook the drawbacks and problems that can come from that.

.........I'm in favour of a rather less conventional method. Now being British I would not like go against the "fair play" ethos we try and employ during our interaction with foreign folk. The British Government has always found it better to use the softly softly approach as this method has provided much positive feedback from enemy combatants in the past. The British Government is always looking for the fair and ethical way to resolve conflict, they do so like to take on board the comments and inputs of those we seek to kill. I’ll get round to this in a moment……

Firstly though a review. Our present approach, or at least that of the Royal Navy, is based upon a series of cautious yet highly complex systems and procedures built around pro-active operational response based on years of maritime experience. The first stage is the use of the highly modern reconnaissance and tracking systems built into our modern warships; this system is called “the eye”! It involves crew members lining the ship’s rails and peering out to sea or could even involve the more advanced systems which allow the use of “binoculars” I don’t think any other navy apart from the Malawian Navy has access to such technology!

Upon target acquisition an instant response is transmitted to the nerve centre of the ship such signal usually takes the form of jumping up and down waving ones arms (possibly even legs) as wildly as possible whilst trying to point in the general direction of the target. The next stage of the response is regarded as the most critical as it involves the application of multiple layers of target analysis and processing options in the command and control centre, which typically involves the Captain scratching his head and wondering when tea and cakes are due to be served. Redundancy, however, is built into the system, thus targeting options and response analysis can be passed over to the Tactical Officer and the Weapons Officer. These gentlemen have the executive authority to commence hostile operations against identified targets but their response is usually limited to scratching of the head and wondering what to do whilst also enquiring when tea and cakes are to be served.

These courses of action are based on the premise that the highly complex and sophisticated armaments and weapons systems carried on board the advanced Somali pirate vessels could indeed counter the armaments of a standard Type 45 Destroyer. When such doubts are relayed to the Captain he will generally employ a series of established tactical manoeuvres designed to confuse and unbalance the attackers – this tactic is called “scarpering”, or in more simple and less militaristic jargon, running away as fast as his little gas turbines will carry him. This action is the mainstay of Royal Naval tactical engagements conducted against those of the darker ethnic origins as it means we couldn’t possibly harm a hair on those poor pirates’ heads because if we did we’d be sued in The Hague for breaching their Human Rights.

Now getting back to conflict resolution, personally, and please don’t pass this on any further as it could be taken as being seditious, I would track them back to their home bases and flatten the little bastards with a MOAB.........and let the dogs deal with the debris ......job done, home for tea and medals!

Humm... the Scotsman kicks a$$!;)

I especially liked the dogs, debris, tea and medals at the end... good one!

the problem you can run into with armed cargo ships is escalation. At some point it could end in a bloody arms race of pirates against the mercs on the ships. given that al qaeda I am more then sure is in the background of some of these ops, the arms would not be hard to come by. The good thing is that as of now the primary goal of the pirates is the crew itself for ransom, not the ships making killing the whole crew and more heavy response less likely...but there is nothing that says that cant change. Better Intel and taking out there bases I think is a more productive choice for now, but it may come to armed ships...but I think some overlook the drawbacks and problems that can come from that.

The article that I posted on another thread...{since I don't seem to be able to post my own TOPICS...sigh} was that the Italian Cruise Ship was waiting on a Spaniard Warship to meet up with them since they were going to have to go into a port around there for repairs but the Spanish Warship was hours away yet...so it was very 'proactive' that they had hired the mercenaries and had them on board.

Granted, everyone can assume worse case scenario that this will cause an escalation of arms...but then again...the assumption can be made that if the pirates are venturing out into the 500 mile from shore lanes to go after the passenger cruise lines that the pirates are getting desperate and that in it' self means an escalation of intent!

The article that I posted on another thread...{since I don't seem to be able to post my own TOPICS...sigh} was that the Italian Cruise Ship was waiting on a Spaniard Warship to meet up with them since they were going to have to go into a port around there for repairs but the Spanish Warship was hours away yet...so it was very 'proactive' that they had hired the mercenaries and had them on board.

Granted, everyone can assume worse case scenario that this will cause an escalation of arms...but then again...the assumption can be made that if the pirates are venturing out into the 500 mile from shore lanes to go after the passenger cruise lines that the pirates are getting desperate and that in it' self means an escalation of intent!

Yeah I'm with you on this. I'm not much for the "it might escalate" theory.

As it is now these sailors are sitting ducks. The pirates have what... like 125 ships CAPTURED ALREADY!!!

To me it's time to mix it up a little. Like a pirate speed boat approaches a tanker and a Apache Longbow helicopter pops up over the horizon & blows it out of the water about 50' up into the air.

OR

Pirates board ship to find a full compliment of Navy Seals or even just Blackwater type forces armed to the nines with shoot to kill orders as soon as any pirate as much as touches their ship.

It's kinda like the movie Air Force One... GET OFF MY PLANE!!!!!!!!;)

Werbung:
Pirates board ship to find a full compliment of Navy Seals or even just Blackwater type forces armed to the nines with shoot to kill orders as soon as any pirate as much as touches their ship.

Yup...... that's pretty much it I reckon. If less and less of these toads re-appear in their mud huts then sooner or later word'll get round that there are probably better and safer ways for gainful employment........ or just go back to chewing kat all day long......either way their life expectancy increases a tad!

I look for simplicity in a conflict resolution............

"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out." - William T. Sherman

pretty simple really, you screw with me I'll pound you into dust........

Back