People are not basically good....

Christianity is a revolutionary movement, totally opposed to what makes America tick. You have a sort of cardboard-cutout pretence of it.
I sometimes think you and I are speaking a different language. Speaking of which, what is that code in your sig?

Werbung:
they dont have a soul, of course they dont. they do not think.
Really?
monkey-thinking.jpg

fotoorigenplanetasimios.jpg

I sometimes think you and I are speaking a different language. Speaking of which, what is that code in your sig?

Not language really....he believes in totalitarianism/authoritarianism and you do not.

And how the hell did my thread revert to the Planet of the Apes???:cool:

you know, limiting your understanding of Christ's teaching to the sermon on the mount is like looking at a great painting through a pinhole. what you see is.great but does not convey the fullness of the piece.

Why do you have this extraordinary notion? The Sermon on ther Mount, very clearly, is where the nature of Christianity is stated, and those who dismiss it aren't Christians. That much is certainly obvious.

Why do you have this extraordinary notion? The Sermon on ther Mount, very clearly, is where the nature of Christianity is stated, and those who dismiss it aren't Christians. That much is certainly obvious.

it may be obvious to soneone unfamiliar with the rest of the New.Testiment.

they dont have a soul, of course they dont. they do not think.
Well, now it gets tricky. Firstly, they obviously think. Though it would be true to say that they do not think in a language. Do any of them have souls? I can only say that there is a bible verse that refers to animals in heaven. But regardless of whether or not they have souls they do not have the law of God circumscribed on their hearts. They have not eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. They don't have a moral compass. My dog who appears so guilty at times is merely showing submission according to the dog experts and it is my personification of dogs that makes me read it as guilt.

That being said people are still animals and we still respond to many situations exactly the same. When these animal instincts contradict what we know to be wrong there is the moral conflict. We are flesh and we are spirit (both corruptible). We have two natures - one selfish from the start and one that might motivates us to do right. There is constant struggle. And for some there is a counselor who is always ready to help with these struggles.

So why does the Bible so often go to such lengths to say how basically evil we are if in fact we are of two natures - one good and one evil? There are enough verses that clearly point to the two natures. Perhaps the verses indicating our total depravity are more hyperbole and a broader reading would show the two natures projected on a backdrop in which evil shades every frame of our life-film.

Werbung:
Back