Panarchy: Fascinating or just plain stupid?

your very libertarian small government ideals.

One other thing here - it's not just smaller - it's more efficient and more focused. Again, when peaceful behavior, like smoking marijuana in your house, is decriminalized - that will leave many resources, currently being used to arrest, prosecute and incarcerate over 700,000 non-violent pot smokers per year, available for law enforcement to go after murderers, rapists and thieves.

Werbung:
Bunz, this is the inverse of Appeal to Tradition fallacy.
The same argumen could be made against your system under the argument you make.

You're not taking into account several factors. Such as, #1
I would agree we need to minimize our wasteful spending in all areas. Especially when it comes to enforcement of laws that are outdated or unenforcable. The bottom line for me when it comes to having laws on the books, that they are clear, reasonable, enforceable, and punishable in an effective way.
#2, federal highways are paid for by the gasoline excise tax, the military budget is roughly equal to Corporate Tax revenue, and the entitlement programs are paid for by their own taxes, like FICA. We don't need an income tax to run the government.
gasoline excise tax income versus federal highway spending I would bet doesnt come within %10 of covering costs. Nor do I doubt it could. Taxing through user fees a substance we have no choice in using in modern society is a potentially dangerous policy with some unintended consequences.

And #3, if the incomet tax were repealed and the Federal Reserve abolished, the United States would instantly become the largest tax haven in the world. Foreign investment here would skyrocket.
I am not one who thinks it very wise to have a huge influx of foreign investment into our economy like you suggest. It opens the gates to having that investment dry up just as quick and leave the US holding the nearly empty bag.
I am a capitalist, but I think we need a somewhat regulated market to provide some assurances to critical components of it, and a steady reliable source of raw materials at the very least.

Werbung:
One other thing here - it's not just smaller - it's more efficient and more focused. Again, when peaceful behavior, like smoking marijuana in your house, is decriminalized - that will leave many resources, currently being used to arrest, prosecute and incarcerate over 700,000 non-violent pot smokers per year, available for law enforcement to go after murderers, rapists and thieves.
I agree with the far majority of what you say here. We need reform on the illegal drug issue.

Back