OMG or: how online "journalism" works in 2015

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ever wondered how online "journalism" works in 2015?
https://medium.com/@buileshuibhne/a-bridge-too-far-cical-e94f76fecb22

Common sense and basic knowledge of physics would have forbidden to feature this picture in british "newspapers" like Independent, Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Metro... But your 15 second attention (and therefore the advertisers money) is worth dropping the standards.

Werbung:
Don't think journalism is dead. "Just" a big crisis. I hope people will learn to value journalism again.

Is that even possible? Who would really put their trust in so called journalists after all the BS and bias we've been subjected to in recent history?

I know citizen journalism gets a bad wrap. Still, I'd much rather peruse the work of a citizen journalist who is unapologetic for his bias than that of a "journalist" who tries to conceal his.

Unbiased journalism never really existed. One can look back at the state of "journalism" in the time of Abraham Lincoln and see that it was far far worse than we have today. Party's openly controlled newspapers, Lincoln himself wrote opeds about himself under an assumed name, people sought out the news that they already wanted to hear, and advertising was the name of the game. Sound familiar?

Werbung:
I do tend to agree that most journalists might set out to be unbiased and impartial, they very rarely stay that way. Most news agencies have some sort of hidden agenda or political affiliation, so for any journalist wanting to get a story published, there will be certain guidelines that they don't dare cross.

Back