NJ Court rules that Americans have no right to buy a handgun

If you wanted to know all about the Big Bang, you'd ring up Carl Sagan, right ? And if you wanted to know about desert warfare, the man to call would be Norman Schwarzkopf, no question about it. But who would you call if you wanted the top expert on American usage, to tell you the meaning of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution ?

That was the question I asked A.C. Brocki, editorial coordinator of the Los Angeles Unified School District and formerly senior editor at Houghton Mifflin Publishers -- who himself had been recommended to me as the foremost expert on English usage in the Los Angeles school system. Mr. Brocki told me to get in touch with Roy Copperud, a retired professor of journalism at the University of Southern California and the author of "American Usage and Style: The Consensus."
An appeal to authority. Logical Fallacy. This is just someone's opinion, subject to bias, and possible influences of the human condition. That is why if you seek a second opinion from doctors concerning a medical condition, you may get opposing diagnoses despite both being "experts". A further example, the ultimate expert on astro-physics, Albert Einstein, was admittedly mistaken on his theory of gravity.

Werbung:
Looks like everybody is interested in trying to undercut Copperud's background, and nobody is interested in trying to refute what he said. Unsurprisingly, because they can't, as usual. So we get nothing but "The Constitution doesn't mean anything, because language didn't have any specific meaning back then, or it doesn't now, or something."

Poor leftists. Their talk gets crazier and crazier, the more they get backed into a corner. It gets to a point where they only way they can pretend their agenda is the right one, is by tossing out the entire English language.

What a hoot.....

In modern language, the 2nd amendment says, "Since an armed and capable populace is necessary for freedom and security, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted."

Looks like everybody is interested in trying to undercut Copperud's background, and nobody is interested in trying to refute what he said. Unsurprisingly, because they can't, as usual. So we get nothing but "The Constitution doesn't mean anything, because language didn't have any specific meaning back then, or it doesn't now, or something."

Poor leftists. Their talk gets crazier and crazier, the more they get backed into a corner. It gets to a point where they only way they can pretend their agenda is the right one, is by tossing out the entire English language.

What a hoot.....

In modern language, the 2nd amendment says, "Since an armed and capable populace is necessary for freedom and security, the right of ordinary people to own and carry guns and other such weapons cannot be taken away or restricted."

Hey, smart guy, your argument is BASED ON LANGUAGE ANALYSIS.

Once again, you're wrong. The 2nd Amendment was not limited to simply guns.

Why can't the population buy grenades? Let's have an answer so we can have the 2nd Amendment argument fall into itself.

There are no absolute rights.

Oh lord, I let that go the first time, chose to address the part of your post that could be interpreted as having substance, and what do I get for my magnanimity? Platituded from both sides of the aisle. Toils and snares. Oh well, I prefer to speak as myself and in a constructive tone, but if you insist on deferring to the absence of a frame of reference wherein this debate can occur, it's no coincidence an appropriate Rand quote exists:

"A moral code impossible to practice, a code that demands imperfection or death, has taught you to dissolve all ideas in fog, to permit no firm definitions, to regard any concept as approximate and any rule of conduct as elastic, to hedge on any principle, to compromise on any value, to take the middle of any road. By extorting your acceptance of supernatural absolutes, it has forced you to reject the absolute of nature."

Werbung:
Professor Tribe once told me that the Constitution doesn’t mean what it says. I thought he was jesting at the time; but after the Supreme Court’s decision in Bush v. Gore, I have come to think that he meant what he said.

Back