Next Big Fight: Free Tampons

GBFan

I didn't weigh in on Jessica Valenti's twitter call for subsidized tampons because, well, it was absurd. She then followed it up with a column in which she shared the following:
We need to move beyond the stigma of “that time of the month” – women’s feminine hygiene products should be free for all, all the time.

Sanitary products are vital for the health, well-being and full participation of women and girls across the globe. The United Nations and Human Rights Watch, for example, have both linked menstrual hygiene to human rights. Earlier this year, Jyoti Sanghera, chief of the UN Human Rights Office on Economic and Social Issues, called the stigma around menstrual hygiene “a violation of several human rights, most importantly the right to human dignity”.

If the argument is for subsidizing "vital for health" items, the line is drawn where?

What about herbal supplements used to treat physical and psychological conditions daily by those who practice alternative medicine?

My friend could argue that his gym membership is vital for his health, as it's his chief line of defense against a heart disease battle.

What about acupuncture for body pain that doesn't respond to traditional medicine, meditation classes for anxiety disorders, over-the-counter antacids and analgesics that enable some to eat and work without daily discomfort?

Is Valenti suggesting that when I decide what's vital for my health, the justification thereby exists for it to be government subsidized? As in subsidized by other people?

Perhaps on a planet where money grows on trees. And where people often believe that the government should have more of a responsibility for your health and well-being than you should.

Reminder: Few free things are actually free. Someone, I assure you, usually pays.

Werbung:
Werbung:
Back