Michael Phelps vs. The "Drug War"

Mr. Shaman

"This we know: Were Phelps to run for public office someday and admit to having smoked pot in his youth, he would be forgiven. Yet, in the present, we impose monstrous expectations on our heroes. Several hand-wringing commentaries have surfaced the past few days, lamenting the tragic loss for disappointed moms, dads and, yes, The Children. :eek:

Obviously, children shouldn't smoke anything, legal or otherwise. Nor should they drink alcoholic beverages, even though their parents might.

There are good reasons for substance restrictions for children that need not apply to adults.

That's the real drug message that should inform our children and our laws, rather than the nonsense that currently passes for drug information.

One recent ad produced by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy says: "Hey, not trying to be your mom, but there aren't many jobs out there for potheads."

Once a kid realizes that pot doesn't make him insane -- or likely to become a burrito taster, as the ad further asserts -- he might figure other drug information is equally false. That's how marijuana becomes a gateway drug."

It's long-past-time to deep-six Puritanical-insanity (aka "conservative"-Absolutes.)​

Werbung:
Yes, it is. The Drug War has been a tragic failure that has ruined many more lives than drugs ever did. It is another example of the hypocrisy of the Purtianical Conservativism that claims to despise government, yet uses its wide-sweeping power freely to do permanant damage to people's lives.

Yes, it is. The Drug War has been a tragic failure that has ruined many more lives than drugs ever did. It is another example of the hypocrisy of the Purtianical Conservativism that claims to despise government, yet uses its wide-sweeping power freely to do permanant damage to people's lives.
....One of the many benefits of convincing their base that God's on their side.

:rolleyes:

The only purpose that the drug war has is as a jobs program for the lawyers and cops. And since they are the one's that tend to become the politicians, there will never be a end to this "war'.

The only purpose that the drug war has is as a jobs program for the lawyers and cops. And since they are the one's that tend to become the politicians, there will never be a end to this "war'.

I suppose we need to legalize crack and heroine? Based on the assessment that "lawyers" and "cops" become politicians?

I suppose we need to legalize crack and heroine? Based on the assessment that "lawyers" and "cops" become politicians?

The red herring argument that is the perennial favorite of the pro drug crowd that absolutely loves the status quo.

Continuing with the current prohibition causes much more harm than good.
It causes civil wars, and other widespread crime and violence not only in America, but in other countries. Look at the situation in Mexico right now, and the problems Colombia has been dealing with for decades.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/02/04/mexico.general/index.html
200 drug related murders in Juarez Mexico in 2009 alone.

As for pot, I say legalize it ASAP, tax it and end the drain on the justice system and lives and careers heavily impacted over something that is mainstream in America and is not going away. I thought America had learned its lesson on prohibition.

As for the other hard drugs, I dont have a great answer, but billions of dollars in cold hard cash leaving America and going to criminals and terrorist organization isnt the best way to deal with this. Imagine if we could deal with addiction responsibly, free up law enforcement/military assets for other things and ending a multibillion dollar illegal industry.

Actually, it's The Prosecutors, who have the (supposed) Creds that enhance their political-aspirations.​

Continuing with the current prohibition causes much more harm than good.
It causes civil wars, and other widespread crime and violence not only in America, but in other countries. Look at the situation in Mexico right now, and the problems Colombia has been dealing with for decades.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/americas/02/04/mexico.general/index.html
200 drug related murders in Juarez Mexico in 2009 alone.

As for pot, I say legalize it ASAP, tax it and end the drain on the justice system and lives and careers heavily impacted over something that is mainstream in America and is not going away. I thought America had learned its lesson on prohibition.

As for the other hard drugs, I dont have a great answer, but billions of dollars in cold hard cash leaving America and going to criminals and terrorist organization isnt the best way to deal with this. Imagine if we could deal with addiction responsibly, free up law enforcement/military assets for other things and ending a multibillion dollar illegal industry.

Pot is not the issue. The issue is the hard drugs. If there is no solution there, then there is no solution.

YES. All that the criminalization of these drugs has done is fill our prisons. And when the kids can't get the "street" drugs, they raid there parents medicine cabinet. All the kids with ADD, and there many drugs to fight this, has given them a wonderful way to make money. By selling those drugs to all there friends.

They will never win this "war" until they make demand go down. And all the punitive punishments that have not worked for 40 years will never work in the next 40 years.

Hey....you know....soul-saving is Priority 1.

:rolleyes:

Werbung:
Back