Mayo Clinic in AZ to drop Medicare patients

dogtowner

Staff member
not enough money in it

oh my, and after the president had such nice things to say about how they did biz ! looks like its not just the American people who dont like the health insurance bill...

The Mayo Clinic, praised by President Barack Obama as a national model for efficient health care, will stop accepting Medicare patients as of tomorrow at one of its primary-care clinics in Arizona, saying the U.S. government pays too little.

More than 3,000 patients eligible for Medicare, the government’s largest health-insurance program, will be forced to pay cash if they want to continue seeing their doctors at a Mayo family clinic in Glendale, northwest of Phoenix, said Michael Yardley, a Mayo spokesman. The decision, which Yardley called a two-year pilot project, won’t affect other Mayo facilities in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota.

Obama in June cited the nonprofit Rochester, Minnesota-based Mayo Clinic and the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio for offering “the highest quality care at costs well below the national norm.” Mayo’s move to drop Medicare patients may be copied by family doctors, some of whom have stopped accepting new patients from the program, said Lori Heim, president of the American Academy of Family Physicians, in a telephone interview yesterday.

“Many physicians have said, ‘I simply cannot afford to keep taking care of Medicare patients,’” said Heim, a family doctor who practices in Laurinburg, North Carolina. “If you truly know your business costs and you are losing money, it doesn’t make sense to do more of it.”

Werbung:
not enough money in it

oh my, and after the president had such nice things to say about how they did biz ! looks like its not just the American people who dont like the health insurance bill...

One might conclude from this that once Obamacare takes effect, the Mayo Clinic will no longer exist.

Obamacare is Medicare - only worse...

not enough money in it

My neighbor that was just diagnosed with her 2nd round of lung cancer was recently in that MAYO CLINIC and she said that the amount of back-logged Medicare payments were just drowning that wonderful place in bad debt...that their A/R aging was well over 190 days and still pending payments from Medicare, well into the hundred-thousands of dollars in arrears :eek:

HELLS-BELLS that would mean financial disaster to the biggest/best hospital around, let alone this huge place! :(

My neighbor that was just diagnosed with her 2nd round of lung cancer was recently in that MAYO CLINIC and she said that the amount of back-logged Medicare payments were just drowning that wonderful place in bad debt...that their A/R aging was well over 190 days and still pending payments from Medicare, well into the hundred-thousands of dollars in arrears :eek:

HELLS-BELLS that would mean financial disaster to the biggest/best hospital around, let alone this huge place! :(

The Medis are hemorrhaging debt primarily due to fraud that they are hopelessly behind at detecting (a "systemic failure" in the IT sense).

I believe they have been running behind for some time now. They did when I was in the hospital biz (I'm IT).

I would feel better about government mucking with health care if they first got their existing house in order. Demionstrate the ability to find and effct savings and maybe people would have more faith.

Werbung:
Back