Look what's happening to the National Debt recently

Little-Acorn

I was fiddling with Excel and playing with charts today (OK, so I'm a geek, so sue me! :-p )

And I found I could get a whole bunch of numbers from the U.S. Govt website http://www.treasurydirect.gov/NP/BPDLogin?application=np . You can plug in any two dates, and it will tell you the official U.S. Govenment dollar amount for the National Debt, for every weekday from the one date to the other.

It fluctuates day to day, obviously. Almost every day, the Fed Govt borrows a lot of money by issuing new bonds. Then the next day, it uses that money to pay off last month's (or last year's) bonds. So the daily total-debt rate bounces up and down every day.

But it's the long-term trends that are interesting.

First I made a chart for the National Debt from the beginning of George W. Bush's administration, to today. As it shows, Bush spent like a drunken sailor, almost from the beginning of his admin. Then Obama got elected, with Dem majorities in both Houses, and started a spending spree that put Bush to shame. Here's the chart, from pure government figures:

NatlDebtDaily02Jan2001-06Jul2011.jpg

The big bump just to the right of center, was the "stimulus", where we borrowed an extra $trillion and blew it, to no apparent effect.

But something interesting seems to be happening at the upper right corner. Let's look at a chart of just the last six months (Jan 1, 2011 to today):

NatlDebtDaily03Jan2011-06Jul2011.jpg

You can see the bouncing up and down from day to day as I mentioned. But what's happening in the upper right portion, from about mid-May till today?

Now THAT'S a debt ceiling!

This chart says that, for about the last two months, WE HAVE HAD A BALANCED BUDGET.

An even closer look, from May 1 through today:

NatlDebtDaily02May2011-06Jul2011.jpg

This has not happened in my lifetime, before now. For nearly two months, the U.S. Government has not spent any more than it has taken in.

In fact, we have actually been PAYING OFF PART OF THE TOTAL NATIONAL DEBT, slowly but steadily, for that period!

Again, this is something that has not happened in most of our lifetimes.

What a difference an election makes.

Of course, this is not for an entire one-year period. It is for slightly less than two months, and the Natl Debt WAS rising before then. So we have a long way to go before having something that we can really point to.

But... if Democrats had not lost their majority in the House, and lost their filibuster-proof majority in the Senate (when only 1/3 of it was up for election!) in 2010... does anyone think that this sudden flattening out of the Natl Debt, and even its very slight DECREASE, would ever have happened? Or would Congress have gone on merrily hiking the Debt Limit, and spending like there was no tomorrow?

Republicans, as I pointed out, spent like drunken sailors from 2001-2008. But now it's starting to look like they just might have "got religion", especially after seeing what happened in 2010 to Democrats that spent even more. But they need to (in fact they'd damned well BETTER) stick to this a lot longer than they have so far.

Those Republicans now have their principle campaign issue for the 2012 election. They can hold up charts similar to these, point to the flat area (which hopefully will be much longer by then) and say, "Do you want more of this? Then vote for us." And they can also point to the super-steep area that came before, and say, "Or do you prefer this? If you do, then vote for the Democrats that gave it to you."

Werbung:
Great find! Obama is getting it right! The stimulus did work.

That will be one more feather in Obama's hat, eh?

Spending bills originate in the house, the GOP controls it now, and the porkulus payoffs to obozo's constituencies have been stopped, but there's a long way to go.

Spending bills originate in the house, the GOP controls it now, and the porkulus payoffs to obozo's constituencies have been stopped, but there's a long way to go.

There certainly is. The Natl Debt still stands at more than $14 trillion, and is making no real progress toward shrinking.

I have to wonder, too, how much of this "flat area" is due to the government "saving money" by not paying into the pension funds of its employees, and other silly tricks. They will all have to be paid back if/when the debt ceiling is raised.

There's a LOT left to be done.

Just wait and see what will happen if the bond market blows up and the interest rates demanded go up. All those rollovers... you ain't seen nuthin' yet!

There certainly is. The Natl Debt still stands at more than $14 trillion, and is making no real progress toward shrinking.

I have to wonder, too, how much of this "flat area" is due to the government "saving money" by not paying into the pension funds of its employees, and other silly tricks. They will all have to be paid back if/when the debt ceiling is raised.

There's a LOT left to be done.

There is your answer. Smoke and mirrors and IOUs being left all over. Not even that as Geitner already stated publically that he was robbign Peter to pay Paul. These are just not on your limited balance sheet to note.

Great find! Obama is getting it right! The stimulus did work.

That will be one more feather in Obama's hat, eh?

You are arguing that the stimulus worked because the debt ceiling has been reached? That makes no sense.

Here's the graphic truth of this recession and how deep n long it has been. There is no way there will be a straight line up. We are a long ways from getting back to square one. (Notice, by the way, that since WWII there are only two recessions that were not completely over in less than 30 months. Both recessions belong to GW Bush and his policies.)

recession%20graph.jpg

Also, just so we understand the facts: Obama got elected, job losses slowed and then revesed to gains, and momentum built. Then, in January 2011, we got a new Republican Congress, and by April they had stopped the rate of growth of job creation, and now, in June, they have brought job creation to pretty much a standstill.

It is really getting hard to believe this is not entirely intentional, and a part of McConnell's plan to make Obama a one term president.

Also, just so we understand the facts: Obama got elected, job losses slowed and then revesed to gains, and momentum built. Then, in January 2011, we got a new Republican Congress, and by April they had stopped the rate of growth of job creation, and now, in June, they have brought job creation to pretty much a standstill.

It is really getting hard to believe this is not entirely intentional, and a part of McConnell's plan to make Obama a one term president.

Here are some more facts:

1) White House economists forecast in January 2009 that, even without a stimulus, unemployment would top out at just 8.8%.

2) The Congressional Budget Office predicted that, absent any stimulus, the recession would end in "the second half of 2009." The recession officially ended in June 2009.

3) According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, monthly GDP stopped free-falling in December 2008.

4) Monthly job losses bottomed out in early 2009 while the Index of Leading Economic Indicators started to rise in April.

I am not sure what policy could be pointed to that shows President Obama caused any of these things....It seems just as plausible to argue that slow downs at this point are the result of massive overspending on the part of this President to "fix" a problem that was fixing itself before he did anything.

The purpose of the debt ceiling is to stop the gov from spending more money than is wise to spend. the ceiling is set at the point beyond which it is unwise to spend more money (in theory). That is why it was created in the first place.

So the debt ceiling is working!!!

NatlDebtDaily16May2011-15July2011.jpg

Unprecedented.

Course, the actual decrease in the Natl Debt, is a tiny fraction of 1% of its total amount. But it hasn't gone up in two months!!!

How much of that is due to the govt stopping payments into various Federal pension funds, etc., that they intend to pay fully once the debt ceiling gets raised?

And the $64,000 question: Will Barack Obama now run for re-election in 2012, on the theme "I balanced the budget!" ?

Werbung:
Here are some more facts:

1) White House economists forecast in January 2009 that, even without a stimulus, unemployment would top out at just 8.8%.

2) The Congressional Budget Office predicted that, absent any stimulus, the recession would end in "the second half of 2009." The recession officially ended in June 2009.

3) According to the National Bureau of Economic Research, monthly GDP stopped free-falling in December 2008.

4) Monthly job losses bottomed out in early 2009 while the Index of Leading Economic Indicators started to rise in April.

I am not sure what policy could be pointed to that shows President Obama caused any of these things....It seems just as plausible to argue that slow downs at this point are the result of massive overspending on the part of this President to "fix" a problem that was fixing itself before he did anything.

I would very much like to see a graph of gasoline prices vs jobs created. I have no facts to back up my feeling, but I have a distinct feeling that when gasoline prices shoot up, it takes all the fluff out of the economy, and demand for other things falls off because we pay more to the speculators and looters.

Back