Let's do politics with universal love

Deepeco

Universal love is a feeling of solidarity with all life. It implies an ethics of biocentric altruism. The following is a brief summary in three parts: the why (the challenge of ecological justice), the what (biocentric altruism) and the how (non-violence)

The biggest challenge in the world: ecological justice.
1) Two very big problems. The wide gap between rich and poor people is a grave injustice in our human society. The mass extinction of non-human species is an ecological crisis. Hence, we should respect human equality (justice) without surpassing the ecological carrying capacity of our planet.
2) Technological development is not enough to solve both urgent problems, as these required technologies should be physically possible, economically efficient, environmentally friendly and ethically correct, and they should be developed very fast.
3) Tackling human overconsumption and overpopulation are also necessary to solve these problems. This means less consumption and production of non-vital goods, and less pregnancies, with respect of everyone’s right to a decent life.
4) Ecological justice implies the search for a society and an economy based on biocentric altruism.

The highest moral standard: biocentric altruism
1) Expand the moral community: stop discrimination and suppression. This gives an evolution from egocentrism (selfishness) to ethnocentrism (only own people are important, which is racism), to anthropocentrism (only the human species is central, which is human arrogance, speciecism), to zoocentrism (all animals are precious), to biocentrism: all life is central, every living being is precious. Protect the vital life-rights and well-being of all humans, animals and nature. Never underestimate the intrinsic value (i.e. the opposite of use value for humans) of every living being.
All sentient beings have the basic right not to be treated as merely means to our ends. Non-sentient living beings have also the right not to be treated as merely means to our ends, except for our vital or essential needs. That means that we are not allowed to kill plant life for luxury goods. It means a vegan and sober life
2) Respect diversity: between humans, cultures, species, ecosystems. Protect biodiversity. All endangered or vulnerable species need protection.
3) Develop a feeling of universal love, a solidarity and compassion with all life, even with humans doing highly immoral actions. This love is like the unconditional care of a mother for her children: Even when her son does the most terrible things, she still loves him deeply and she tries to stop his immoral behavior.
4) Free yourself from your ego, your possessions, personnel desires and negative emotions (greed, envy, guilt, impatience, unhappiness, hatred, anger, frustrations, fears, worries). Use this universal love to gain strength for this inner liberation and self-control. This gives a joyful suffering (deep joy from the solidarity and inner liberation, suffering from seeing the tragedies in the world).
This leads to biocentric altruism, an active commitment to protect all threatened life, with care and courage and without egoism and greed.

The difficulty in the fight to save life: non-violent effectiveness
1) Never underestimate the badness of violence. Violence is hurting, killing or damaging life, thinking or speaking with disdain or hate, damaging or destroying property, insulting, annoying or provoking someone by word or deed, raising the risk of detrimental consequences, and refraining from aid when life is threatened.
2) Never underestimate the goodness of protecting life. We should be humble when we have to judge the allowed amount of violence of our actions.
3) Strive for effectiveness and non-violence. If both ideals seem to be incompatible, we should let us guide by our feeling of compassionate, universal love. This implies that we always have to approach both victims and offenders with the feeling as if they were our best friends, no matter what they do.
4) Protect the moral self of offenders. The moral self is the most precious part of a human. Doing something immoral harms the moral self. Universal love requires that we should not only protect victims, but also liberate and heal offenders from their moral self-destruction.

Werbung:
Universal love is a feeling of solidarity with all life. It implies an ethics of biocentric altruism. The following is a brief summary in three parts: the why (the challenge of ecological justice), the what (biocentric altruism) and the how (non-violence)

The biggest challenge in the world: ecological justice.
1) Two very big problems. The wide gap between rich and poor people is a grave injustice in our human society. The mass extinction of non-human species is an ecological crisis. Hence, we should respect human equality (justice) without surpassing the ecological carrying capacity of our planet.
2) Technological development is not enough to solve both urgent problems, as these required technologies should be physically possible, economically efficient, environmentally friendly and ethically correct, and they should be developed very fast.
3) Tackling human overconsumption and overpopulation are also necessary to solve these problems. This means less consumption and production of non-vital goods, and less pregnancies, with respect of everyone’s right to a decent life.
4) Ecological justice implies the search for a society and an economy based on biocentric altruism.

The highest moral standard: biocentric altruism
1) Expand the moral community: stop discrimination and suppression. This gives an evolution from egocentrism (selfishness) to ethnocentrism (only own people are important, which is racism), to anthropocentrism (only the human species is central, which is human arrogance, speciecism), to zoocentrism (all animals are precious), to biocentrism: all life is central, every living being is precious. Protect the vital life-rights and well-being of all humans, animals and nature. Never underestimate the intrinsic value (i.e. the opposite of use value for humans) of every living being.
All sentient beings have the basic right not to be treated as merely means to our ends. Non-sentient living beings have also the right not to be treated as merely means to our ends, except for our vital or essential needs. That means that we are not allowed to kill plant life for luxury goods. It means a vegan and sober life
2) Respect diversity: between humans, cultures, species, ecosystems. Protect biodiversity. All endangered or vulnerable species need protection.
3) Develop a feeling of universal love, a solidarity and compassion with all life, even with humans doing highly immoral actions. This love is like the unconditional care of a mother for her children: Even when her son does the most terrible things, she still loves him deeply and she tries to stop his immoral behavior.
4) Free yourself from your ego, your possessions, personnel desires and negative emotions (greed, envy, guilt, impatience, unhappiness, hatred, anger, frustrations, fears, worries). Use this universal love to gain strength for this inner liberation and self-control. This gives a joyful suffering (deep joy from the solidarity and inner liberation, suffering from seeing the tragedies in the world).
This leads to biocentric altruism, an active commitment to protect all threatened life, with care and courage and without egoism and greed.

The difficulty in the fight to save life: non-violent effectiveness
1) Never underestimate the badness of violence. Violence is hurting, killing or damaging life, thinking or speaking with disdain or hate, damaging or destroying property, insulting, annoying or provoking someone by word or deed, raising the risk of detrimental consequences, and refraining from aid when life is threatened.
2) Never underestimate the goodness of protecting life. We should be humble when we have to judge the allowed amount of violence of our actions.
3) Strive for effectiveness and non-violence. If both ideals seem to be incompatible, we should let us guide by our feeling of compassionate, universal love. This implies that we always have to approach both victims and offenders with the feeling as if they were our best friends, no matter what they do.
4) Protect the moral self of offenders. The moral self is the most precious part of a human. Doing something immoral harms the moral self. Universal love requires that we should not only protect victims, but also liberate and heal offenders from their moral self-destruction.

I'm sorry, Deep, but there's no money to be made in your airy-fairy process, in fact it will cost money that will have to come from the people who HAVE money and they will not like that one little bit. I don't know what country you come from, but here in America it is all about money and power, getting it and keeping it. We base our culture on these precepts:
Might is Right
Everything Is For Sale
A Person Deserves All the Money They Can Get
Poor People Are Poor Because They Are Lazy or God Wants Them To Be Poor
All of Creation Was Put Here For Our Benefit
If Something Is Not Making Money It Has No Value
Jesus Was Only Kidding About Loving Others and Returning Good For Evil
and finally:
The protection of one's money and property are the highest goals to which a human being can aspire. No sacrifice by others is too great if it ensures the safety of one's money and property. God put a lot of people on Earth so that the truly greedy and avaricious people would have many backs to stand on while grabbing for greater wealth.

In today's America TRUTH is what sells,
TRUTH is what you want people to believe and,
TRUTH is that which is not legally false.

Presumably if we stopped giving aid and medical supplies to africa and india for example then their mortality rates would increase to the point where they reach a balance with their environment? By artifical manipulation of those populations surely we create a situation where the human population is out of balance with the environment; thus shouldn't allow them to die?

..........yeah sweet an all...:rolleyes:

Presumably if we stopped giving aid and medical supplies to africa and india for example then their mortality rates would increase to the point where they reach a balance with their environment? By artifical manipulation of those populations surely we create a situation where the human population is out of balance with the environment; thus shouldn't allow them to die?
That wouldn't be a strategy guided by universal love... I have a better strategy: create just conditions for a voluntary pregnancy limitation. With just conditions I mean access to contraceptiva, women's empowerment and education,... And religious and male dominant institutions should stop promoting having a lot of children.

That wouldn't be a strategy guided by universal love... I have a better strategy: create just conditions for a voluntary pregnancy limitation. With just conditions I mean access to contraceptiva, women's empowerment and education,... And religious and male dominant institutions should stop promoting having a lot of children.

How might you go about "creating" this? With force? Your idea is borderline oppression in my view of those wishing to have a lot of kids.

Additionally, from your main post, I feel that "universal love" is a contradiction with the nature of humans, and therefore just wishful thinking.

How might you go about "creating" this? With force? Your idea is borderline oppression in my view of those wishing to have a lot of kids.

Additionally, from your main post, I feel that "universal love" is a contradiction with the nature of humans, and therefore just wishful thinking.

HEY, HEY, HEY...now just hold on there BIG ROB...did you forget:confused:

Just gather up enough 'Columbia GOLD' and roll your own and you'll have the biggest love fest that this world has ever seen:cool: Just make sure that you have loads of snack food/aqua and other quick munchies stuff readily available...the lack of that could possibly cause the mellowness to wear off rapidly;)

How might you go about "creating" this? With force?
with (financial) incentives, sexual education, free access to contraceptiva,... So indeed, with some (rather low) level of force.

I feel a universal love. It can be develloped. If I can do it, why can't you? Am I so special? And what is this "nature" of humans? Is it not just some arbitrary word to justify your behaviour? Like the rapist who says that rape is natural?

with (financial) incentives, sexual education, free access to contraceptiva,... So indeed, with some (rather low) level of force.

I feel a universal love. It can be develloped. If I can do it, why can't you? Am I so special? And what is this "nature" of humans? Is it not just some arbitrary word to justify your behaviour? Like the rapist who says that rape is natural?

There are a lot of people to whom the concept of universal love is anathema, they have no desire to learn to practice it.

Universal love has to be practiced on a personal level by each individual who decides to do so, no amount of force or persuasion will coerce people into doing it.

Altruism is zero worship, an unobtainable goal by the living. The concept is based on getting as close to zero as possible but the problem is, zero is death... So you must maintain some level of selfishness to remain alive.

Werbung:
Altruism is zero worship, an unobtainable goal by the living. The concept is based on getting as close to zero as possible but the problem is, zero is death... So you must maintain some level of selfishness to remain alive.

That is why I say that we are allowed to kill non-sentient living beings, but only for our basic needs, not for trivial or luxury needs.

Altruism is not self-sacrifice. It's simply loving another and really helping him without expecting a reward. Well, the only 'reward' could be a feeling of satisfaction and joy when you realize that you have helped someone and contributed to the beauty of his life.

Can you remember what you felt when you helped someone and made is life more beautiful? Most people said they felt joy. Can you remember what else gave more joy than this? Most people said they couldn't think of something else... That's the joy of universal love, and indeed it is powerful. Sadly, a lot of people don't know this, as if they have lost contact with there feelings and needs...

Back