Ks v Roeder on this the anniversary of Roe v Wade

Part 1>
The time line is in reverse order scroll to the bottom to read Scott Roeders full testimony.
Posted on Thu, Jan. 28, 2010
Roeder trial updates: Jury to decide whether Scott Roeder is guilty of first-degree murder, aggravated assault
BY RON SYLVESTER The Wichita Eagle
Jeff Tuttle/The Wichita Eagle

2 p.m.
After a midday recess, Scott Roeder returned to the stand, the jury returned to court, and public defender Mark Rudy's examination resumed.
Rudy asked Roeder about his knowledge of the charges against Tiller prosecuted by Assistant Attorney General Barry Disney. Those were the charges a jury here acquitted Tiller of two months before his death.
Roeder said he learned about the charges through Operation Rescue's Web site. Roeder said he also learned about security measures Tiller took through Operation Rescue's Web site, where he also learned that Tiller drove an armored car and lived in a gated community.
He also said that he attended the trial "two or three times" last March.
"It seemed like that was the last attempt the state of Kansas had to see if anything illegal was going on" at Tiller's clinic, Roeder said.
"These babies were dying every day and no one was able to do anything," he said.
"I thought I had to do something," Roeder said.
Roeder said he began to think about killing Tiller. "I though about running my car into his, shooting him with a rifle."
But Roeder testified he feared hurting someone else, besides Tiller.
"I felt if he was to be stopped (his church) was the only place he could be stopped," Roeder said. "It was the only window of opportunity I saw to stop him."
Roeder said he took the .22 Taurus with him when he went to the church on May 24, the week before the shooting. But Tiller wasn't there that Sunday.
"I had no choice but to wait," Roeder said.
"Abortions were being done every day," he said. "My honest belief was that if I didn't do something they would continue to die."
Roeder said he went to the church and sat in the back row in the northeast corner.
He said he saw Tiller come in and look right and left then go back in the foyer before he went out and did what he thought he had to do to protect the children.
12:15 p.m.
Judge Warren Wilbert made Roeder keep his answers short, after numerous objections by District Attorney Nola Foulston.
Roeder described his opinions on abortion, testifying that he opposed it in all instances except considering the life of the mother.
"And I struggle with that," Roeder said.
Roeder said he didn't think rape and incest were proper reasons for abortion.
"That is punishing the sins of the father," Roeder said.
Some jurors watched as Roeder testified. Others glanced at Tiller's family. Some family members had tears streaming from their eyes; others stoically listened to the testimony.
But Wilbert would not let Roeder testify about his knowledge of abortion procedures.
At one point, Roeder described "tearing babies limb from limb."
"Objection," yelled Foulston.
Wilbert told the jury to disregard the answer and admonished Roeder for his comment. Wilbert also would not let Roeder say how many abortions Tiller performed, because the defendant could not cite the source of his information.
Roeder said he did not consider himself a member of any anti-abortion group.
"Did there come a point in time when you started thinking the law would step in and stop you, or stop Dr. Tiller?" public defender Mark Rudy asked.
"Yes," Roeder said.
Roeder began to talk about his support for Phill Kline as Kansas attorney general around 2003.
Wilbert once again began limiting what Roeder could say about Kline, based on his previous ruling that the defense was straying into areas the judge had said were off limits.
To hear further objections, Wilbert excused the jury for lunch.
Roeder's testimony is set to continue at 1:30 p.m. CST.
11:45 a.m.
"On May 31, 2009, did you go to the Reformation Lutheran Church and shoot and kill George Tiller?" Rudy asked Roeder on the stand.
"Yes," Roeder replies.
11:30 a.m.
Scott Roeder has taken the stand. He is being questioned by Mark Rudy.
Roeder was born in Denver and moved with his family to Topeka at age 2. He lived in Topeka or Kansas City for the rest of his life.
Rudy: "You've sat here and listened to the trial. Do you dispute any testimony presented by the state?" Rudy asked.
"I do not," Roeder said.
11 a.m.
The trial judge in the murder trial of Scott Roeder refused to allow the defense to call former Kansas Attorney General Phill Kline as a witness.

<prior to this it was all court prosidings discussion about former Attorney General Phil Kline; should he be allowed to testify or not and this all took place prior to the jury being admitted to the court room!
Read more: http://www.kansas.com/934/story/1156713.html?storylink=omni_popular#ixzz0dxidf9zm

Werbung:
Part 2>
Scott Roeders trial & testimony today at the court hearing in Wichita, KS. the end of the day...the beginning is on part 1.
Read more: http://www.kansas.com/934/story/1156...#ixzz0dxidf9zm
5:30 p.m.
The jury will decide whether or not Scott Roeder is guilty of first-degree premeditated murder and two counts of aggravated assault in the death of George Tiller.
Judge Warren Wilbert will instruct the jury, followed by closing arguments, when the trial resumes at 9 a.m. Friday, weather permitting.
Wilbert ruled that the defendant must have faced an imminent threat of an illegal act. Neither was present here, he said.
He said there was no imminent threat and abortions are legal in Kansas.
5 p.m.
The jury will not be able to consider voluntary manslaughter or second-degree murder in the trial of Scott Roeder, Judge Warren Wilbert has ruled.
When Wilbert called court back to order for jury instructions, public defender Mark Rudy argued that second-degree murder should be included because premeditation is a fact for the jury to decide.
Roeder testified that he "honestly believed" he had to use force, and it was imminent, because he felt it was his only opportunity, Rudy said.
"I don't agree with that, but go ahead," Wilbert said.
Prosecutor Kim Parker argued that second-degree murder shouldn't be included because premeditation is not an issue.
Rudy said that before Roeder took the stand, they informed police where the gun was. Authorities are in Burlington hunting for it now.
4:15 p.m.
On May 30, 2009, the night before George Tiller was fatally shot, Scott Roeder had a restful evening at his hotel watching TV.
"Were you preparing yourself for the next morning?" District Attorney Nola Foulston asked him during cross-examination this afternoon.
"Yes," Roeder replied.
On the morning of May 31, 2009, Roeder said he expected Tiller to be at church. Roeder arrived just before 10 a.m. but didn't remember which door he used to enter the church. He said he went to the restroom, then walked into the sanctuary.
Roeder said he had the gun in his pocket and wasn't wearing a jacket. He didn't immediately see Tiller that morning, he said, but saw then saw him when Tiller stepped into the sanctuary.
"When I saw him, I took action," Roeder said, testifying that he went out the door and looked for Tiller in the foyer.
Roeder said he pulled the gun out of his pocket as he exited the east sanctuary door. He moved quickly.
When he walked out, he saw Tiller in front of him.
"I don't think he was aware" Roeder was there, he said.
Roeder said put the gun to Tiller's forehead and pulled the trigger. Roeder said Tiller stood still what seemed to be three to four seconds.
Then Tiller fell, Roeder said.
Roeder, who appeared more relaxed on cross-examination than on his direct testimony, said he had no fear that morning.
He left in his car and stopped in Valley View, Kan., and bought a pizza.
"Did killing Dr. Tiller make you hungry?" Foulston asked.
"I was hungry," Roeder said.
He added that he "wasn't overly excited" after the shooting.
Roeder said he had planned to come back and get the weapon after he buried it.
Foulston asked if he wanted to keep it as a souvenir. Roeder said no.
"What were you going to do with (the gun)?" Foulston asked.
"Just have it in my possession," Roeder said.
Foulston had Ken Landwehr of the Wichita Police Department step forward and display the knife found under the seat of Roeder's car.
"And you were more comfortable with the gun than you were with this fancy dagger?" Foulston asked.
Roeder replied, "Yes."
The defense shortly thereafter rested its case. Foulston announced that the state has no rebuttal evidence.
Judge Warren Wilbert told the jury he hoped to give them legal instructions and for the lawyers to give closing arguments at 9 a.m. Friday.
Wilbert excused the jury for the evening. He will now discuss legal instructions with the lawyers.
This is where Wilbert will decide whether or not to give the jury the instruction on voluntary manslaughter.
3:30 p.m.
During District Attorney Nola Foulston's cross examination, she asked Scott Roeder if he became familiar with the church and its services on his visits. Roeder said he did.
Roeder said he planned on where to park and backed in to the space for an easy exit.
He also said he went to his brother's home to take target practice to make sure the gun was in proper working order.
Roeder said that the gun jammed, because it wasn't oiled. He and his brother went to Topeka to get the gun fixed and buy bullets.
Roeder said he had the gun in his pocket with his Bible when he visited George Tiller's church on May 24, the day Tiller did not attend church. Answering Foulston's questions, Roeder indicated that he was somewhat frustrated but that he would have come back as many times as needed to get the job done.
Roeder also said that he'd gone to the church armed in August of 2008, carrying a gun in a holster inside his jacket.
During testimony, Jeanne Tiller, George Tiller's widow, looked at the floor and listened.
2:30 p.m.
After Scott Roeder fatally shot George Tiller, Roeder said he wrapped the gun in cloth and buried it in the dirt near Burlington, Kan. Roeder said he disposed of the gun so police wouldn't think he would use it.
"I would not have done anything to them, even if they had tackled me," Roeder said.
He said that in hindsight, he probably should have put his gun down and immediately surrendered.
Public defender Mark Rudy asked Scott Roeder, "Scott, do you regret what you did?"
Roeder responded, "No, I don't."
Roeder said he's since learned that Tiller's clinic has closed, giving him "a sense of relief."
District Attorney Nola Foulston has begun to cross-examine Roeder.

Re: Ks v Roeder; in under 40 minutes, Scott Roeder found quilty on all counts!

Posted on Fri, Jan. 29, 2010

Roeder trial updates: Jury finds Scott Roeder guilty of first-degree murder in death of George Tiller

BY RON SYLVESTER
The Wichita Eagle
WICHITA - 1:15 p.m.

District Attorney Nola Foulston said prosecutors filed numerous requests to try to keep abortion out of Scott Roeder's trial.
It was a case of first-degree murder of Wichita abortion provider George Tiller, Foulston said. But abortion itself shouldn’t have been on trial, she said.
“This was the defendant’s choice, not a woman’s choice,” Foulston said, after a jury convicted Roeder of first-degree murder this morning after only 37 minutes of deliberations.
The jury also found Roeder guilty of two counts of aggravated assault. Sentencing is set for 8:45 a.m. March 9.
Roeder faces life in prison. Foulston said she would be requesting the Hard 50 for Roeder, meaning he would not be eligible for parole for 50 years.
Foulston said Roeder’s calm testimony on Thursday showed more than an admission that he shot Tiller to death May 31 in the doctor’s Wichita church.
“He was cool, calculated,” Foulston said. “He had no regrets. It was patently apparent, where if given the opportunity, he would do it again.”
Public defenders Mark Rudy and Steve Osburn said their client was sworn to tell the truth, and that’s what he did.
“It was what it was with Scott,” Rudy said. “This is how he thought. This is what he did.”
Prosecutor Ann Swegle said she’d never seen a case where the charge was so undisputed by the defendant’s own words.
“Usually, you have at least one or two elements of the crime in dispute,” Swegle said. “In this case, the acts, and the mentality behind it, were all put out there.”
Rudy, however, said he watched the defense evaporate after Sedgwick County District Judge Warren Wilbert denied the request to give the jury an option of voluntary manslaughter.
Voluntary manslaughter is defined in Kansas that as the “unreasonable but honest belief” that the use of force was necessary. It is often called the imperfect self-defense.
Roeder had argued that he killed Tiller to protect the unborn. But Wilbert said voluntary manslaughter under that theory requires an imminent threat of harm from an illegal act. Wilbert ruled that abortion is legal in the state of Kansas, and that Tiller posed no threat while going to his church on a Sunday morning.
“It was crushing,” Rudy said. “That was our case from day one, the manslaughter.”
Prosecutor Kim Parker said she hopes the jury’s verdict tells others who might consider killing an abortion doctor of the futility of that defense.
“Hopefully, this sends a clear message that this type of conduct is not acceptable,” Parker said. “There is no place for this. There are no medals to be given for those who violate the rules.”
Foulston said she would guarantee that Roeder would file an appeal.
“We did the best we could with the facts we had,” Osburn told reporters. “The judge followed the laws probably in place, and we think we have an appeal issue. But that will be taken up at a different level.”
This morning, Lee Thompson and Dan Monnat, Tiller's attorneys, released a statement at the request of Jeanne Tiller, George Tiller's widow, and the Tiller family:
"The family of Dr. George Tiller would like to thank the jury, District Attorney Nola Foulston and her office and law enforcement for their service in this difficult matter. Once again, a Sedgwick County jury has reached a just verdict. We also want to thank George's countless friends and supporters in Wichita and around the country who have offered their comfort.
"At this time we hope that George can be remembered for his legacy of service to women, the help he provided for those who needed it and the love and happiness he provided us as a husband, father and grandfather."
Vicki Saporta, president and chief executive of the National Abortion Federation, also released a statement: "There is no justification for murdering doctors who provide abortion care. We hope this verdict will be a deterrent to those who may be considering following in Roeder's footsteps, and send a clear signal that violence against abortion providers will not be tolerated and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."
Nancy Northup, president of the Center for Reproductive Rights, issued a statement that said in part, "Today, justice was served for Dr. Tiller, his family and abortion providers who live in fear of physical attacks, harassment and intimidation every day. The jury swiftly and unanimously convicted Mr. Roeder, rejecting his defense for cold-blooded murder. Dr. Tiller’s shooting was a calculated crime by Mr. Roeder’s own admission, and that is the definition of premeditated murder."

Read more: http://www.kansas.com/934/story/1158413.html?storylink=omni_popular#ixzz0e2iuDEzX

There has been much discussion about the information that has been gathered about the financial support/weapons/communication between Scott Roeder and some other extremists of the Right-To-Life/Pro-Life movement...the question remains; will there be follow up subpoenas issued, will the brother be issued a warrant for his arrest for his participation in this crime...just how far does the money trail go within these subversive groups?

Dissecting the mind of Scott Roeder: courtinsession@cnn.com today Mr. Roeder's ex-wife Linda phoned in and provided some insight into his parenting skills with his son; seems Scott has failed to pay child support, has sent a letter explaining to his son that "I will at sometime in my life pay your support but not right now" {this was a few years back}, and on the night before he left to do the dirty deed he spent the evening with his son...but when asked about what he had done prior to that night while driving to Wichita, Scott couldn't recall that he had spent quite a bit of time with his son until the prosecution attorney reminded him.

So I would imagine that during the penalty hearing he won't be brought up as the reason that Scott Roeder should not receive the hard 50...it's not like he's father of the year/month/week/day...so it shouldn't have any bearing upon the judge that Scott needs to be there for his son! You know ole what's his name the boy that you were the sperm donor for:(

Dissecting the mind of Scott Roeder: courtinsession@cnn.com today Mr. Roeder's ex-wife Linda phoned in and provided some insight into his parenting skills with his son; seems Scott has failed to pay child support, has sent a letter explaining to his son that "I will at sometime in my life pay your support but not right now" {this was a few years back}, and on the night before he left to do the dirty deed he spent the evening with his son...but when asked about what he had done prior to that night while driving to Wichita, Scott couldn't recall that he had spent quite a bit of time with his son until the prosecution attorney reminded him.

So I would imagine that during the penalty hearing he won't be brought up as the reason that Scott Roeder should not receive the hard 50...it's not like he's father of the year/month/week/day...so it shouldn't have any bearing upon the judge that Scott needs to be there for his son! You know ole what's his name the boy that you were the sperm donor for:(

Did you know there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of right wing kooky Christians are willing to kill abortion "doctors?"

They kill those doctors everyday in this country...

on Law & Order...

Did you know there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of right wing kooky Christians willing to kill abortion "doctors?"

They kill those doctors everyday in this country...

on Law & Order...
Ok...now I'm going to say this with all of the care and concern that I would for anyone else who just said something that 'NUTS-O'...dear, dear GIPPER...that's TV, that's not the real world ;)

I know, that's a hard thing to accept since your alter ego came from that world of make believe and then followed the scrip right into the white house...but that's not how 'GOOD CHRISTIANS' are supposed to act. They are not above the LAW OF THE LAND! :)

Ok...now I'm going to say this with all of the care and concern that I would for anyone else who just said something that 'NUTS-O'...dear, dear GIPPER...that's TV, that's not the real world ;)

I know, that's a hard thing to accept since your alter ego came from that world of make believe and then followed the scrip right into the white house...but that's not how 'GOOD CHRISTIANS' are supposed to act. They are not above the LAW OF THE LAND! :)

I know...but millions of those crazy Christians kill abortionists every day. Its an outrage.

Don't they know better? Don't they understand their own religion?

And the MSM just fails to report the murderous actions by these nutty Christians. They scare me!!!

Werbung:
I know...but millions of those crazy Christians kill abortionists every day. Its an outrage.

Don't they know better? Don't they understand their own religion?

And the MSM just fails to report the murderous actions by these nutty Christians. They scare me!!!
Oh, no...you don't/couldn't mean that it's all just a big fat conspiracy and a 'right winged cover up' that the CHRISTIANS are getting away with mass murders and no one knows??? Makes me think...hmmm just how many of those 'GOOD CHRISTIANS SNEAK' into the places like Dr. Tiller and nobody knows...WOW; now that would be really interesting...do you think that Christians are known for telling the truth when asked:confused:

Back