Judge blocks contentious Wisconsin union law

steveox

MADISON, Wis. – A Wisconsin judge issued a temporary restraining order Friday blocking the state's new and contentious collective bargaining law from taking effect, raising the possibility that the Legislature may have to vote again to pass the bill.

Lawmakers had passed Gov. Scott Walker's measure last week, breaking a three-week stalemate caused by 14 Senate Democrats fleeing to Illinois. Demonstrations against the measure grew as large as 85,000 people.

Dane County District Judge Maryann Sumi granted the order in response to a lawsuit filed by the local Democratic district attorney alleging that Republican lawmakers violated the state's open meetings law by hastily convening a special committee before the Senate passed the bill.

Sumi said her ruling would not prevent the Legislature from reconvening the committee with proper notice and passing the bill again.

Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie would not comment on whether the governor would push to call the Legislature back to pass the bill again, either in its current form or with any changes. Werwie said Walker was confident the bill would become law in the near future.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110318/ap_on_re_us/us_wisconsin_budget_unions_lawsuit

And shes a DEMOCRAT!! I Just Proved AMERICA is just like NAZI GERMANY! Its Better in the former soviet union.

Werbung:
Are you saying the judge acted like a Nazi?

She probably acted correctly since the law was passed so quickly no one knew it was happening until just a few hours before it passed. (kind of like passing a law in the wee hours of the morning on Christmas)

But it is in no other way illegitimate so it will take effect one way or another.

Consider the cushy deal for many of California's unionized state and local police, fire and prison employees. They have what's called a "3 percent at 50" formula that determines their retirement check. It's based on 3 percent of the average of the three highest-paid years of the employee's career, multiplied by the number of years on the job. An employee with 20 years' service can retire at age 50 and receive 60 percent of his salary. Employees often boost their retirement income by putting in a lot of overtime hours during their last three years of service.

Temple University professor William Dunkelberg said in his recent CNBC article "Should Unions Have the Power to Tax?": "The 'employers' (taxpayers through their elected officials) have slowly lost their ability to determine the terms of employment offers. The unions now determine working hours, hiring criteria, the quantity of 'output' to be produced per day, the number of sick and vacation and holiday days, how their performance will be evaluated etc. No longer can the employer make an 'offer' for a job with requirements that fit the needs of the public institution."

Major states like California, New York, Illinois, Ohio and New Jersey -- and the federal government -- are on the verge of bankruptcy. Large cities like Los Angeles; Chicago; New York; Washington, D.C.; Newark; and Detroit are facing bankruptcy as well. Does that tell you something? It tells me that we can no longer afford to do what we've done in the past. We must make large cuts in spending. Spending on public employee salaries is just a drop in the bucket.
http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2011/03/03/public_employee_unions/page/2

The Great Walter Williams spells it out.

And yet, in the Age of Ignorance, he is just another Uncle Tom.

The Great Walter Williams spells it out.

And yet, in the Age of Ignorance, he is just another Uncle Tom.

Large cities like Los Angeles; Chicago; New York; Washington, D.C.; Newark; and Detroit are facing bankruptcy as well. Does that tell you something?

It tells me that there is poor management of resources in those cities.

Oh, and unions don't have the power to tax. That's just nonsense.

Uncle Tom? Did you think that teachers, firefighters, and police are black?

Uncle Tom? Did you think that teachers, firefighters, and police are black?

Come on THC...are you off the wagon again?

You know, I am still looking for the tips you promised me on growing an "herb" garden in my attic. Please forward ASAP. I need some added income to afford the disastrous economics caused by your buddies the progressives.

Walter Williams is black. Silly. Please tell me you know that. And, the lefties have referred to him as an Uncle Tom for years much like they have done to the Great Thomas Sowell and Clarence Thomas (they are black too, in case you did not know).

You know how the left does that to any African American who is not "on the liberal plantation?" Well, maybe you don't.

One doesn't know whether to laugh at that or be outraged. In california, the teachers unions and other government employee unions, eg that for the prison guards of california's huge prison system, hold a powerful grip on the democrat legislators who have ruled here for a long time, and what laws get passed.

Eg, several years ago Proposition 38 appeared on the ballot, proposing $4000 vouchers for K12 students to attend any school they want. Nothing gets the government teachers into action faster than the idea that they might lose their government enforced monopoly - that incompetent teachers could be walked away from when people can vote with their feet. They raised a $30 million campaign war chest to defeat the proposition with special assessments on their millions of members.

Anyone who lives here would laugh at the idea that it hasn't been the endlessly greedy government employees which have largely bankrupted the state, and also the consequences of the leftwing policies supported by those unions such as an open door and welcoming mat for millions of illegal alien invaders.

Not good.

Just shows the intolerance of the left for the rule of law and the wishes of the public.

I am guessing you ment you...since the polls showed clearly the public was in favor of the Unions not Walker

Also it was the vote that was done possibly Illegaly that is the one that is possibly against the law...It is required that you give 24 hours notice of a vote...they did not... So it very well may be you backing the Illegal bill that goes against the law...not the left.

I am guessing you ment you...since the polls showed clearly the public was in favor of the Unions not Walker

Also it was the vote that was done possibly Illegaly that is the one that is possibly against the law...It is required that you give 24 hours notice of a vote...they did not... So it very well may be you backing the Illegal bill that goes against the law...not the left.

Jumping on technicalities, using runaway legislators, any trick in the book to defeat the clear will of the majority of the legislature, who were specifically elected to stop the endless greed of unions - leftwing anti-democracy in action once again. :rolleyes:

Jumping on technicalities, using runaway legislators, any trick in the book to defeat the clear will of the majority of the legislature, who were specifically elected to stop the endless greed of unions - leftwing anti-democracy in action once again. :rolleyes:

Technicalities...is that your fancy way of saying following the law?

Werbung:
Technicalities...is that your fancy way of saying following the law?

Actually, the wisconsin senate's parliamentarian says the vote met all requirements including notice.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs...-says-vote-procedurally-was-sound_553945.html

As for judge sumi, she should have recused herself. Turns out her son is a political operative who also happens to be a former lead field manager with the AFL-CIO and data manager for the SEIU State Council. She is the of the same stripe.

When you look at ALL the facts, it's clear the judge's ruling is just ANOTHER example of the leftwing elite stopping the democratic process when it doesn't go the "correct" way.

Back