1. Discuss politics - join our community by registering for free here! HOP - the political discussion forum

Is Western culture being destroyed?

Discussion in 'World Politics' started by I-AM-THAT-I-AM, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Mare Tranquillity

Mare Tranquillity Well-Known Member

My point was that the violent stupidity advocated supposedly by God is nonsense. Yes, there are some good pieces of writing in all the holy books, and in a lot of regular books too.

2. numinus

numinus Well-Known Member

I'm a nominal catholic. I simply cannot abide sitting in church for two hours every week. And if the present pope gets his way, I'll probably be among the first to get excommunicated.

It can't be helped, I suppose.

3. numinus

I was talking about intellectual redemption -- something scripture alone, sadly, does not provide.

Its more resignation than hysteria. As I said, against calcified ignorance, even god contends in vain.

No. Human free will is the faculty by which we discern and obtain the FULLNESS OF HUMAN LIFE. If you act in a way that contradicts this, you are not in fact free, but a SLAVE to your own base nature.

The nature of sin and eternal punishment therefore, in view of soteriology, becomes moot. Until you learn to act in a manner fit for human existence, hence obtain the rewards inherent in such an action, you are doomed to an existence that is less than human -- a personal hell of your own making.

So, you can act according to divine revelation, or discern the SAME thing through the natural operation of human reason -- your choice.

Understand?

I can see that you have not read the particular encyclical. What I cannot understand is how you pretend to criticize it without knowing it to begin with?

If the standard for rational action is an informed choice -- a fundamental awareness of such an action's logical consequences -- then it follows that rejection of something without awareness is NOT AN ACT OF FREE WILL. To my mind, only beasts of a lesser order of rationality behave without free will. They are slaves to their own base nature.

4. numinus

The eucharist is a ritual depicting, not only spirirtual sustenance, but the bond that exists within a community sharing a meal together.

Try father -- which was an outrage to the jews.

The thing is, one instinctively rejects an external 'master' acting as some sort of police. When jesus clarified that the relationship is like that of a loving father and his prodigal son, we reject it as well.

So, what exactly suits your logic -- that there is no creator and that we came about randomly from nothing? You are free to delude yourself with that as well and it wouldn't make a wit of difference to your human existence.

More literal nonsense.

A man and a woman is depicted as two separate entities of the same being. That their conjugal union is the logical step for them to be whole.

And partaking of the FRUIT OF KNOWLEDGE OF GOOD AND EVIL, against the very commandment of the one who CREATED EVERYTHING, depicts a situation where HUMAN REASON PROCEED WITHOUT ETHICS.

Btw, humanae vitae doesn't explain genesis. You can get genesis at any catholic catechism.

5. Mare Tranquillity

In light of this paragraph, why is it that you continue to give me static about being a transsexual? You obviously don't know anything about this birth defect so what gives you the idea that you can speak critically of people who HAVE the birth defect?

6. Mare Tranquillity

Call it what ever euphemistic term you like, but the bottom line is that it is ritual cannibalism.

In the story of the prodigal son, the father did not set a time limit and consign his son to eternal torment for not making the deadline, whereas that is in effect what is done by the Christians religion.

No place have I ever said that I don't believe in God nor that I think our existence is an accident. I have no problem with the teachings of Jesus or the existence of God, my problem lies with the practice of Christianity which ignores the teachings of Jesus, sets up men as arbiters of God's Will, and condemns people on the basis of human interpretation of an old book for which there no proof that God had any hand in the writing of. What is difficult for you to understand is that I'm not rejecting God, I'm rejecting the practice of Christianity as it is generally practiced in the US.

Yes, I agree, taking the Bible literally is nonsense.

Another piece of nonsense is assigning gender to spirits, a union of two spirits can make them a gestalt, the gender of the bodies that they inhabit is irrelevant. Love is the magical ingredient, Nums, and that is what you deny.

Another piece of nonsense if taken literally.

Trust me on this one, Nums, the encyclical doesn't explain much of anything, but it does parade around the swollen human egos of the folks who wrote and published it. (Oh yeah, the little explanation of Christianity that I posted was intended to be humorous. I thought it was cleverly written even though I don't know who did it and thus could not give credit to the author.)

7. Coyote

Coyote Well-Known Member

You're a thinking Catholic.

Sometimes thinking isn't a appreciated.

I'd probably be burned at the stake or something. That's ok though. I love a good barbecue. :)

8. Coyote

Coyote Well-Known Member

Now that is a most interesting statement....

What constitutes "a manner fit for human existence"?

9. numinus

I do not 'give you static' because you are a transexual. I do so because you are ignorant.

10. numinus

Only an ignoramus would understand a RITUAL based on its outward manifestation alone.

No.

The christian religion is about making a better place, here and now.

What happens to you after you die is, more or less, a done deal.

And christianity, as 'generally practiced', is the summation of infinitessimally little things done out of pure love. And like all good things, they tend to go unnoticed.

And why would anyone give a damn -- if majority of people are of your ilk -- people who revel in the evil in everything, hmmm?

And yet, you persist on literal, fundamentally defective interpretations, eh? Sounds like someone has an agenda.

Sigh

Your gender is part of who you are -- your BEING.

There is a simpler way to phrase this. Unfortunately for you, I'm not such a fan of simple-mindedness.

And what would be a correct interpretation, hmmm?

And humor is all that there is to it.

11. numinus

And you're the main course. Yum.

12. numinus

A moral imperative.

13. Mare Tranquillity

Could you support that accusation please?

14. Mare Tranquillity

Once you eat of the flesh and drink the blood it's inside of you and then it is also an "inward" manifestation, isn't it?

All of this seems to be nothing more than a mish-mash of unsupported statements and vitriolic personal attacks without basis in evidence.

YES! That is exactly what I have been getting at all along, and a small birth defect caused by the misfiring of the complex and delicate fetal hormone system during the 8th to 18th weeks of development doesn't change the gender that one is deep in their being. So, transsexuals do the best they can to make their defective bodies match their internal knowledge of who they are. Perfect, you're gettin' a grip on the subject now, Nums.:)

15. Mare Tranquillity

Sorry, Nums, but that wouldn't be "ritual" cannibalism.