Is the Vatican Above the Law?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have not answered in the most direct way possible. The most direct way possible would be a list of the tangible inventions that orientals have made. For instance, semi-permeable membrane that allows separating fresh water out of sea water. Oh yeah, that is a white man's invention. Or, the Japanese invention of synthetic blood that carries more oxygen than natural blood, whoops! That was invented by Dr. W. De Grove Padget, an American.

You are not even competent to think for your own, aren't you?

I already gave you PUBLISHED SCIENTIFIC PAPERS WHICH ARE USED IN THE APPLIED SCIENCES.

If something is discovered that has any bearing on APPLIED SCIENCE, to your puny mind, is that not an invention??????

Not true. That technology was invented in America (the silicon chip, High Definition TV, etc.), and then the Japanese put their coolies to work mass-producing it. You have LISTED nothing that has not originated in the U.S.

Correct. The japanese INNOVATED on the invention to a point you never even thought possible.

Honestly now, do you attribute the invention of the automobile to the caveman who first use the wheel? Do you need a dictionary definition on what an INNOVATION is?

The truth of the matter is, your economy couldn't afford to hire the people you consider 'coolies' since their standard of living presently exceed your own. Just go eat at any japanese restaurant and see if that doesn't impair your purchasing power for the next 3 months. They are perhaps the most expensive in the world today.

The more accurate state of affairs right now is that the japanese are buying ENTIRE AMERICAN CORPORATIONS at bargain prices. Who's the 'coolie' now, I wonder?

'Rist', anyone?

Duh?

And still we invent, invent, invent, invent. I still wait for your "rist" of things invented by the orientals that have contributed to modern civilization since the beginning of the industrial revolution until present day. Nothing, Nada.

And you probably will wait until hell freezes over or you acquire enough common sense in that ignorant head of yours.

Duh?

I could make a list of the things invented by the white race that would be virtually endless.

Of course you can. In that list, underwear was invented by the white man.

It doesn't make any difference to your ignorant, redneck sensibilities that asian civilization preceeded your own by a couple of thousand years. You talk of science, the arabs thought about it before you did. You talk of mathematics, the ancient egyptians were already contemplating calculus even before your ancestors could count up to a hundred. You talk about engineering, the chinese and the japanese already have stone fortifications when you were still making stick forts.

Go dumb down someone else with your silly nonsense.

Duh?

Why is it that you can only come up with vague references instead of the same type of list of accomplishments of the orientals?

Vague references??? I already provided the link to individual scientific papers. Its not my problem that you are too dumb to understand them, now, is it?

Duh?

Werbung:
Arabs and Egyptians are not orientals. Also note, although we use an Arab invented number series, it was the Greeks who developed mathematics.

Putting one stone on another does not civilization make.

Mass production (process invented in American), of electronics (also invented in America), does not constitute "innovation".

You are fooling no one when you evade and attempt to deflect the subject.

Sigh...still not "rist".

Duh, duh, duh.

It is worthy to repeat:
You wear/use the white race's invented socks, shoes, underwear, pants, shirt, hair cut, tooth brush, shave, car, bed, T.V., refrigerator, toilet, plumbing, stove, microwave, computer, Internet, religion, language, pens, and tools of your employment (survey instruments). Now, just what is it that has been invented by orientals? Just what in your life is still oriental?
Is it just me, or is there a conspicuous lack of invention on your race's behalf?

If you boys would permit a bit of nationalistic self-indulgence, just take a look at the Scots Presbyterians who invented many of today's taken for granted items! It was the efforts of John Knox that had the Catholic Church banned in Scotland, that allowed universal education and provided the basis for Scottish universities to became beds of scientific discovery away from the restrictive eyes of Papal authority.

High five for John Knox!

If you boys would permit a bit of nationalistic self-indulgence, just take a look at the Scots Presbyterians who invented many of today's taken for granted items! It was the efforts of John Knox that had the Catholic Church banned in Scotland, that allowed universal education and provided the basis for Scottish universities to became beds of scientific discovery away from the restrictive eyes of Papal authority.

High five for John Knox!

And to mention my favorite Scottish "invention", the humor of Craig Ferguson; the best and funniest late night T.V. host.

"I stopped drinking because I got tired of waking up soaked in urine...my own, or someone else's."

Arabs and Egyptians are not orientals. Also note, although we use an Arab invented number series, it was the Greeks who developed mathematics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics

The earliest uses of mathematics were in trading, land measurement, painting and weaving patterns and the recording of time. More complex mathematics did not appear until around 3000 BC, when the Babylonians and Egyptians began using arithmetic, algebra and geometry for taxation and other financial calculations, for building and construction, and for astronomy.[13] The systematic study of mathematics in its own right began with the Ancient Greeks between 600 and 300 BC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia

Asia is traditionally defined as part of the landmass of Eurasia — with the western portion of the latter occupied by Europe — located to the east of the Suez Canal, east of the Ural Mountains and south of the Caucasus Mountains (or the Kuma-Manych Depression)[3] and the Caspian and Black Seas.[4] It is bounded on the east by the Pacific Ocean, on the south by the Indian Ocean and on the north by the Arctic Ocean. Given its size and diversity, Asia — a toponym dating back to classical antiquity — is more a cultural concept incorporating a number of regions and peoples than a homogeneous physical entity[3][5] (see Subregions of Asia, Asian people).

Duh?

Putting one stone on another does not civilization make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization

Civilization (or Civilisation) is a term used to describe a certain kind of development of a human society.[1] A civilized society is often characterized by advanced agriculture, long-distance trade, occupational specialization, and urbanism. Aside from these core elements, civilization is often marked by any combination of a number of secondary elements, including a developed transportation system, writing, standards of measurement (currency, etc.), contract and tort-based legal systems, great art style, monumental architecture, mathematics, sophisticated metallurgy, and astronomy.

Uhmmm...duh?

Mass production (process invented in American), of electronics (also invented in America), does not constitute "innovation".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovation

Innovation is a change in the thought process for doing something or "new stuff that is made useful".[1] It may refer to an incremental emergent or radical and revolutionary changes in thinking, products, processes, or organizations. Following Schumpeter (1934), contributors to the scholarly literature on innovation typically distinguish between invention

hoo-humm....duh?

You are fooling no one when you evade and attempt to deflect the subject.

Sigh...still not "rist".

Duh, duh, duh.

The only 'rist' you are successfully compiling is a 'rist' of your ignorant ERRORS OF FACT.

Duh?

It is worthy to repeat:
You wear/use the white race's invented socks, shoes, underwear, pants, shirt, hair cut, tooth brush, shave, car, bed, T.V., refrigerator, toilet, plumbing, stove, microwave, computer, Internet, religion, language, pens, and tools of your employment (survey instruments). Now, just what is it that has been invented by orientals? Just what in your life is still oriental?
Is it just me, or is there a conspicuous lack of invention on your race's behalf?

What ignorant nonsense!

If the white man invented clothing, it would appear that the civilizations in asia were going around naked for thousands of years prior to the white man emerging from his cave?????

Good god! Is there no end to your stupidity???? Maybe you should change your name to duh-hermit.

High five for John Knox!

Sure you may indulge your nationalism. Just don't go around sounding like a complete twit posting the white man invented underwear or some such nonsense.

Sure you may indulge your nationalism. Just don't go around sounding like a complete twit posting the white man invented underwear or some such nonsense.
................:D

....... but they did! As everyone in civilised society well knows! Can't have those damn savages wandering around in white mens clothes!!! One has preserve the distinction between the lower orders don't you know.

And to mention my favorite Scottish "invention", the humor of Craig Ferguson; the best and funniest late night T.V. host.

"I stopped drinking because I got tired of waking up soaked in urine...my own, or someone else's."

:D..........D'ya know I'd never heard of this geezer until you mentioned him! I was having a look at some vids on Youtube - he's quite a chuckle!

:D..........D'ya know I'd never heard of this geezer until you mentioned him! I was having a look at some vids on Youtube - he's quite a chuckle!

I cannot believe that you had never heard of him. He is better than Dave Letterman, Jay Leno. He has a sister that looks so much like him that you would swear that that it is Craig in drag. He had her on his show one night and I almost hurt myself laughing. She is as funny as he is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization

Civilization (or Civilisation) is a term used to describe a certain kind of development of a human society.[1] A civilized society is often characterized by advanced agriculture, long-distance trade, occupational specialization, and urbanism. Aside from these core elements, civilization is often marked by any combination of a number of secondary elements, including a developed transportation system, writing, standards of measurement (currency, etc.), contract and tort-based legal systems, great art style, monumental architecture, mathematics, sophisticated metallurgy, and astronomy.

Uhmmm...duh?
Advanced agriculture? Water Buffalo? In many parts of Asia they are still using primitive hand-methods to grow their rice while in the U.S.A. rice is grown using modern agricultural methods including lasers and automation.
Long distance trade? Dutch, British, et. Al. had to open trade with home-bound Asians. Transportation system? Sampans, canoes, Water Buffalo. Writing? What are the examples of Great Asian literature in the 20th century? Legal systems? "Me chief, me make rules!" Great art style? Once upon a time centuries ago...what modern art from Asians is on display now? Sophisticated metallurgy? Metallurgy was invented in the West continues to be dominated by the west. Astronomy? What 20th century contribution have they made? Did they even know Earth is the third from the sun? I can see that Orientals were VERY civilized.

What ignorant nonsense!

If the white man invented clothing, it would appear that the civilizations in asia were going around naked for thousands of years prior to the white man emerging from his cave?????

Good god! Is there no end to your stupidity???? Maybe you should change your name to duh-hermit.
Despite your attempts to divert the issue, He invented Western Dress which your loin-clothed ancestors deemed better than what they historically wore, and adopted it, just like everything else Western.
Is there no end to your stupid attempts at diversion? Look around you. What do you see that has been invented by orientals? Even the white rice you eat. The orientals had to be shown by the white man how to polish the husks off.

duh!

No "rist"?

................:D

....... but they did! As everyone in civilised society well knows! Can't have those damn savages wandering around in white mens clothes!!! One has preserve the distinction between the lower orders don't you know.

LOL

In that case, why are the dandies in your country prancing around in silk, I wonder?

Advanced agriculture? Water Buffalo?

I think the irrigation system is what's referred to here, and not how you turn over the soil. But then again, comprehension isn't your thing, right?

Duh?

In many parts of Asia they are still using primitive hand-methods to grow their rice while in the U.S.A. rice is grown using modern agricultural methods including lasers and automation.

Yep. They are using them because of poverty -- thanks to their white colonizers. As I recall, your forebears didn't have that problem. They simply whipped their black slaves to do it for them.

Duh?

Long distance trade? Dutch, British, et. Al. had to open trade with home-bound Asians.

What are you talking about???? The chinese and japanese were trading within the region while your ancestors were still living in caves. I'm talking about THE FACT OF FIVE THOUSAND YEARS OF CIVILIZED HISTORY.

How about you read on the opium trade and the sino-british war that culminated in the ceding of hong kong to the british, instead of gratifying yourself with your cattle. The only thing the chinese would accept from the barbarian traders is GOLD AND SILVER since, guess what, they were entirely self-sufficient. You had to heap on them a hallucinogenic substance just so they'd trade with you.

Duh?

Transportation system? Sampans, canoes, Water Buffalo. Writing?

And the fact of five thousand years of civilized history and trade is possible with only canoes, eh?

What are the examples of Great Asian literature in the 20th century?

Lots. No other culture is more obssessed with the written word than the chinese and they have been writing poetry since -- guess what??? -- since your ancestors were still making cave drawings.

Duh?

Legal systems? "Me chief, me make rules!"

How about the confucian golden age of meritocracy in public administration? That means (for the benefit of the hopelessly stupid) a rigorous WRITTEN test as pre-requisite to entering civil service. As I recall, medieval europe was ruled by a bunch of illiterate morons who had the temerity to call themselves 'noble'. And as a result, they made all sorts of rules repugnant to common sense.

Duh?

Great art style? Once upon a time centuries ago...what modern art from Asians is on display now?

Yep. We do not take a heap of junk, pile them together and call it 'modern art'.

Duh?

Sophisticated metallurgy? Metallurgy was invented in the West continues to be dominated by the west.

And the samurai katana is made of wood, I suppose -- the same type of weapon you club large game with? I think you have been clubbed by a similar weapon when you were a child. That would explain the very serious intellectual impediments you are exhibiting right now.

Duh?

Astronomy?

The arabs went on to answer the astronomical speculations of the greeks -- if you must know.

What 20th century contribution have they made? Did they even know Earth is the third from the sun? I can see that Orientals were VERY civilized.

What is this mention of the 20th century in the first place. Don't tell me your culture achieved civilization only know?

Duh?

Despite your attempts to divert the issue, He invented Western Dress which your loin-clothed ancestors deemed better than what they historically wore, and adopted it, just like everything else Western.
Is there no end to your stupid attempts at diversion? Look around you. What do you see that has been invented by orientals? Even the white rice you eat. The orientals had to be shown by the white man how to polish the husks off.

duh!

No "rist"?

Sigh.

The chinese were wearing clothes of silk decorated with intricate and vibrant colors when your ancestors were wearing goat hair. You see, silk is wasted on unwashed bodies that your ancestors insisted on. Just like words are hopelessly wasted on your invincible ignorance.

Duh?

I think the irrigation system is what's referred to here, and not how you turn over the soil. But then again, comprehension isn't your thing, right?

Duh?
Oh yeah, "high tech" foot powered water wheels.

Yep. They are using them because of poverty -- thanks to their white colonizers. As I recall, your forebears didn't have that problem. They simply whipped their black slaves to do it for them.

Duh?
There have not been any white colonizers since WWII, except the French who left in the 1950's. What has changed since, other than a total adaption of white man's technology in all the cities?

What are you talking about???? The Chinese and Japanese were trading within the region while your ancestors were still living in caves. I'm talking about THE FACT OF FIVE THOUSAND YEARS OF CIVILIZED HISTORY.

How about you read on the opium trade and the sino-british war that culminated in the ceding of hong kong to the british, instead of gratifying yourself with your cattle. The only thing the chinese would accept from the barbarian traders is GOLD AND SILVER since, guess what, they were entirely self-sufficient. You had to heap on them a hallucinogenic substance just so they'd trade with you.

Duh?
That is one for orientals; they discovered opium. As to trade, the white man developed long-range trade.

And the fact of five thousand years of civilized history and trade is possible with only canoes, eh?
When you are only going as far as the next village, yes. Where as the white man developed huge sailing ships and plied the world to bring orientals pretty beads.

Lots. No other culture is more obssessed with the written word than the chinese and they have been writing poetry since -- guess what??? -- since your ancestors were still making cave drawings.

Duh?
Ya, and yet, the world has adopted the white man's literature.
How about the confucian golden age of meritocracy in public administration? That means (for the benefit of the hopelessly stupid) a rigorous WRITTEN test as pre-requisite to entering civil service. As I recall, medieval europe was ruled by a bunch of illiterate morons who had the temerity to call themselves 'noble'. And as a result, they made all sorts of rules repugnant to common sense.

Duh?
The world has adopted the white man's system, not some archaic bull droppings that even the orientals have abandoned for western culture.

Yep. We do not take a heap of junk, pile them together and call it 'modern art'.

Duh?
That is only one style amongst thousands of celebrated (even by orientals) works.

And the samurai katana is made of wood, I suppose -- the same type of weapon you club large game with? I think you have been clubbed by a similar weapon when you were a child. That would explain the very serious intellectual impediments you are exhibiting right now.

Duh?
Metallurgy has been determined to have originated in the west by archaeologists. The science of metallurgy then traveled Eastward (to the Japanese), not the other way around.

The arabs went on to answer the astronomical speculations of the greeks -- if you must know.
Arabs and Jews are both the "children of Abraham", basically the same people...they certainly are not of the oriental race.

What is this mention of the 20th century in the first place. Don't tell me your culture achieved civilization only know?
Duh?
Better late (every modern thing in your world), than never (the oriental world).

Sigh.

The chinese were wearing clothes of silk decorated with intricate and vibrant colors when your ancestors were wearing goat hair. You see, silk is wasted on unwashed bodies that your ancestors insisted on. Just like words are hopelessly wasted on your invincible ignorance.

Duh?
Are they STILL wearing, " ...silk decorated with intricate and vibrant colors..."? Or, are they wearing western shirts, shoes, socks, and pants made with cotton blended with white invented man made fibers? Which begs the question: Which is better? Which has the entire Asian community chosen to adopt?

Since you will not make a list of the inventions of the oriental "superior", mind, I will start one for you.

The "rist"
Orientals: Pasta, silk, chop sticks, opium, paper, gun powder.

Occidentals: Everything else.

Oh yeah, "high tech" foot powered water wheels.

There have not been any white colonizers since WWII, except the French who left in the 1950's. What has changed since, other than a total adaption of white man's technology in all the cities?

That is one for orientals; they discovered opium. As to trade, the white man developed long-range trade.

When you are only going as far as the next village, yes. Where as the white man developed huge sailing ships and plied the world to bring orientals pretty beads.

Ya, and yet, the world has adopted the white man's literature.
The world has adopted the white man's system, not some archaic bull droppings that even the orientals have abandoned for western culture.

That is only one style amongst thousands of celebrated (even by orientals) works.

Metallurgy has been determined to have originated in the west by archaeologists. The science of metallurgy then traveled Eastward (to the Japanese), not the other way around.

Arabs and Jews are both the "children of Abraham", basically the same people...they certainly are not of the oriental race.

Better late (every modern thing in your world), than never (the oriental world).

Are they STILL wearing, " ...silk decorated with intricate and vibrant colors..."? Or, are they wearing western shirts, shoes, socks, and pants made with cotton blended with white invented man made fibers? Which begs the question: Which is better? Which has the entire Asian community chosen to adopt?

Since you will not make a list of the inventions of the oriental "superior", mind, I will start one for you.

The "rist"
Orientals: Pasta, silk, chop sticks, opium, paper, gun powder.

Occidentals: Everything else.

Sigh.

I suppose the only way to respond to a hick ignoramus is to descend to his level.

Lets start with ancient china:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_inventions

The following is a list of the Four Great Inventions of ancient China—as designated by Joseph Needham (1900–1995), a sinologist known for his research on the history of Chinese science—in the chronological order that they were established in China.

Fragments of hemp wrapping paper dated to the reign of Emperor Wu of Han (141–87 BC)

The Diamond Sutra, the oldest printed book, published in AD 868 during the Tang Dynasty (618–907)
[edit] Paper
This sub-section is about papermaking; for the writing material first used in ancient Egypt, see papyrus.
Although it is recorded that the Han Dynasty (202 BC–AD 220) court eunuch Cai Lun (b.c.50–AD 121) invented the pulp papermaking process and established the use of new raw materials used in making paper, ancient padding and wrapping paper artifacts dating to the 2nd century BC have been found in China, the oldest example of pulp papermaking being a map from Fangmatan, Tianshui;[8] by the 3rd century, paper as a writing medium was in widespread use, replacing traditional but more expensive writing mediums such as strips of bamboo rolled into threaded scrolls, scrolls and strips of silk, wet clay tablets hardened later in a furnace, and wooden tablets.[9][10][11][12][13] The earliest known piece of paper with writing on it was discovered in the ruins of a Chinese watchtower at Tsakhortei, Alxa League, where Han Dynasty troops had deserted their position in AD 110 following a Xiongnu attack.[14] In the papermaking process established by Cai in 105, a boiled mixture of mulberry tree bark, hemp, old linens, and fish nets created a pulp that was pounded into paste and stirred with water; a wooden frame sieve with a mat of sewn reeds was then dunked into the mixture, which was then shaken and then dried into sheets of paper that were bleached under the exposure of sunlight; K.S. Tom says this process was gradually improved through leaching, polishing and glazing to produce a smooth, strong paper.[11][12]

[edit] Printing
Woodblock printing: The earliest specimen of woodblock printing a single-sheet dharani sutra in Sanskrit that was printed on hemp paper between 650 and 670 AD; it was unearthed in 1974 from a Tang tomb near Xi'an.[15] A Korean miniature dharani Buddhist sutra discovered in 1966, bearing extinct Chinese writing characters used only during the reign of China's only self-ruling empress, Wu Zetian (r.690–705), is dated no earlier than 704 and preserved in a Silla Korean temple stupa built in 751.[16] The first printed periodical, the Kaiyuan Za Bao was made available in AD 713. However, the earliest known book printed at regular size is the Diamond Sutra made during the Tang Dynasty (618–907), a 5.18 m (17 ft) long scroll which bears the date 868 AD, or the "fifteenth day of the fourth moon of the ninth year" of Emperor Yizong's (859–873) Xiantong 咸通 reign period.[17] Joseph Needham and Tsien Tsuen-Hsuin write that the cutting and printing techniques used for the delicate calligraphy of the Diamond Sutra book are much more advanced and refined than the miniature dharani sutra printed earlier.[17] The two oldest printed Chinese calendars are dated 877 and 882; they were found at the Buddhist pilgrimage site of Dunhuang; Patricia Ebrey writes that it is no surprise that some of the earliest printed items were calendars, since the Chinese found it necessary to calculate and mark which days were auspicious and which were not.[17][18]

An illustration published in Wang Zhen's (fl. 1290–1333) book of AD 1313 showing movable type characters arranged by rhyme scheme in round table compartmentsMovable type: The polymath scientist and official Shen Kuo (1031–1095) of the Song Dynasty (960–1279) was the first to describe the process of movable type printing in his Dream Pool Essays of 1088, attributing this innovation to a little-known artisan named Bi Sheng (990–1051).[19][20][21][22] With the use of fired clay characters, Shen described Bi's technical process of making the type, type-setting, printing, and breaking up the type for further use.[22][23] Bi had experimented with wooden type characters, but their use was not perfected until 1297 to 1298 with the model of the official Wang Zhen (fl. 1290–1333) of the Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368), who also arranged written characters by rhyme scheme on the surface of round table compartments.[20][24] It was not until 1490 with the printed works of Hua Sui (1439–1513) of the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644) that the Chinese perfected metal movable type characters, namely bronze.[25][26] The Qing Dynasty (1644–1912) scholar Xu Zhiding of Tai'an, Shandong developed vitreous enamel movable type printing in 1718.[27]

The earliest artistic depiction of a fire lance gunpowder weapon, a painting at Dunhuang, dated Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period (907–960 AD)Effects on bookbinding: The advent of printing in the 9th century revolutionized bookbinding, as late Tang Dynasty paper books evolved from rolled scrolls of paper into folded leaves like a pamphlet, which developed further in the Song Dynasty (960–1279) into 'butterfly' bindings with leaves of paper folded down the center like a common book, then during the Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368) wrapped back bindings had two edges of the leaves attached to the spine and secured with a stiff paper cover on the back, and during the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644) books finally had thread-stitched bindings in the back.[28] It was not until the early 20th century that traditional Chinese thread-stitched bookbinding was replaced by Western-style bookbinding, a parallel to the replacement of traditional Chinese print methods with the modern printing press, in the tradition of Johannes Gutenberg (c. 1400–1468).[29]

Werbung:
cont'd:

[edit] Gunpowder
Although evidence of gunpowder's first use in China comes from the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period (907–960),[30] the earliest known recorded recipes for gunpowder were written by Zeng Gongliang, Ding Du, and Yang Weide in the Wujing Zongyao military manuscript compiled in 1044 during the Song Dynasty (960–1279); the gunpowder formulas described were used in incendiary bombs lobbed from catapults, thrown down from defensive walls, or lowered down the wall by use of iron chains operated by a swape lever.[31][32][33] Bombs launched from trebuchet catapults mounted on forecastles of naval ships ensured the victory of Song over Jin forces at the Battle of Caishi in 1161, while the Mongol Yuan Dynasty (1271–1368) used gunpowder bombs during their failed invasion of Japan in 1274 and 1281.[32] During the 13th and 14th centuries, gunpowder formulas became more potent (with nitrate levels of up to 91%) and gunpowder weaponry more advanced and deadly, as evidenced in the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644) military manuscript Huolongjing compiled by Jiao Yu (fl. 14th to early 15th century) and Liu Ji (1311–1375), completed before the latter's death with a preface added by the former in a 1412 Nanyang publication of the work.[34]

[edit] Compass

A model in Kaifeng of a Chinese ladle-and-bowl type compass used for geomancy in the Han Dynasty (202 BC–220 AD); the historical authenticity of the model has been questioned by Li Shu-hua (1954).[35]Although an ancient hematite artifact from the Olmec era in Mexico dating roughly 1000 BC indicates the possible use of the lodestone compass long before it was described in China, the Olmecs did not have iron which the Chinese would discover could be magnetized by contact with lodestone.[36] Descriptions of lodestone attracting iron were made in the Guanzi, Master Lu's Spring and Autumn Annals and Huainanzi.[37][38][39] The Chinese by the Han Dynasty (202 BC–220 AD) began using north-south oriented lodestone ladle-and-bowl shaped compasses for divination and geomancy and not yet for navigation.[40][41][42] The Lunheng, written by Wang Chong (27–c. 100 AD) stated in chapter 52: "This instrument resembles a spoon, and when it is placed on a plate on the ground, the handle points to the south".[43][44] There are, however, another two references under chapter 47 of the same text to the attractive power of a magnet according to Needham (1986),[45] but Li Shu-hua (1954) considers it to be lodestone, and states that there is no explicit mention of a magnet in Lunheng.[35] Shen Kuo (1031–1095) of the Song Dynasty (960–1279) was the first to accurately describe both magnetic declination (in discerning true north) and the magnetic needle compass in his Dream Pool Essays of 1088, while the author Zhu Yu (fl. 12th century) was the first to mention use of the compass specifically for navigation at sea in his book published in 1119.[21][41][46][47][48][49][50] Even before this, however, the Wujing Zongyao military manuscript compiled by 1044 described a thermoremanence compass of heated iron or steel shaped as a fish and placed in a bowl of water which produced a weak magnetic force via remanence and induction; the Wujing Zongyao recorded that it was used as a pathfinder along with the mechanical South Pointing Chariot.[51][52][53]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back