Is religion a necessary method of social control?

Jason76

In some cases, religion is a way of protecting people from sexual harassment, abuse, and annoyance. When I say annoyance I mean that generally speaking many people don't trust each other. However, religion provides a stamp of trust for some people.

Anyhow, at my university you can't use the gym and pool without wearing very modest clothing, even though it's a state university, Anyhow, the logic behind the rules is the fact that young people dressed in sexy clothing are often the target of lust and that causes massive social problems. For instance, somebody might gawk at some pretty lady who has a football player boyfriend, :mad:.

Of course, this rant doesn't necessarily say religion is good or bad, only that it serves as a method of social control in most places. However, you could say the same thing about political correctness in many places.

Of course, opponents are going to bring up child molester priests and the like. Nonetheless, as a whole, religion is not spreading abuse, but rather protecting people from it. An exception might be the Hindu caste system which promotes massive poverty.

Last edited:
Werbung:
I see no religious component of dress code. That's societal norms.

I said that stuff to emphasize a point. In a lot of places, the society seeks to control people's behavior to cut down on bad behavior. Often religion is employed for this purpose, though sometimes secular state schools will impose dress codes etc..

Well, I think the answer is no. Religion isn't the only method of social control (law, force, etc.), but it can have a powerful influence on it. Religion is multi-dimensional in perspective and interactive in activity while also deeply personal. This makes it attractive to all kinds of people (politicians, parents who want guidance on how to raise their kids, money-hungry people, etc. )

Well, I think the answer is no. Religion isn't the only method of social control (law, force, etc.), but it can have a powerful influence on it. Religion is multi-dimensional in perspective and interactive in activity while also deeply personal. This makes it attractive to all kinds of people (politicians, parents who want guidance on how to raise their kids, money-hungry people, etc. )

It is definitely multi-dimensional. It could not be otherwise with priests and imams lying to the adherents on a steady basis.

If a parent thinks it can learn child rearing from pedophile liars then their brainwashing is complete.

Regards
DL

No.
Religion forces lifestyle choices onto its followers (I refer to as sheep).
Most of it is common sense apart from some stupid ones.

E.g: Criticizing or denying any part of the Quran is punishable by death ---------> Way to go Islam! Give yourself a pat on the back. o_O

Religion was only used as a method of social control back when the church was powerful enough to actually make people do anything they wanted because the government would enforce their demands. Secularization was supposed to fix lots of social problems but did it?

No it's not, but it is a choice. If people want control over the people, they can use religion to do so just because they know how connected people are to their religion.

As you can see all over this planet, there are plenty of wars because of religion. Especially America. People are willing to kill for religion. Human Error at it's finest.

It used to be a method of social control if you look back at the Puritan era and you can see how well that turned out. People created their own factions of Puritanism, developed their own religions and look a few centuries later how religion has controlled the American society?

It hasn't because it has guidelines, people push them until they become societal norms. How many people do you know that live together unmarried, or children whose parents aren't married? Religion opposes such actions, yet it is part and parcel of many societies these days. It didn't control then (but punished) and now there are far worse crimes to deal with.

No.
Religion forces lifestyle choices onto its followers (I refer to as sheep).
Most of it is common sense apart from some stupid ones.

E.g: Criticizing or denying any part of the Quran is punishable by death ---------> Way to go Islam! Give yourself a pat on the back. o_O

I agree that to tell a mind to stop thinking is the epitome of abuse.

Regards
DL

Religion was only used as a method of social control back when the church was powerful enough to actually make people do anything they wanted because the government would enforce their demands. Secularization was supposed to fix lots of social problems but did it?

I think so.

Would you like to live under the laws of one of the tyrannical gods?

Are you ready to stone your unruly children or one of them who happens to be gay?

Regards
DL

Werbung:
No it's not, but it is a choice. If people want control over the people, they can use religion to do so just because they know how connected people are to their religion.

As you can see all over this planet, there are plenty of wars because of religion. Especially America. People are willing to kill for religion. Human Error at it's finest.

The connection is an old tribal need for fellowship. It is driven by our own instincts and will likely be here forever. Except that we will likely recognize them for the garbage they are in terms od moral guides. We are about there now.

Wars have always been tribe against tribe and religions are only one of the many factors in any war.

Regards
DL

Back