Is multiculturalism a thing of the past?

I will agree with that assessment to a point. Humans are psychologically predisposed to see anything different as a threat. As you point, this fear of change spreads even faster. This fear may be part of the reason people have a paranoia about "multiculturalism"
I will definitely agree with you on the psychological aspect. But there's also the curiosity predisposition. We may see things that are different or unknown as a threat, but we will also want to know what it's like, as well. I think that probably feeds into trying to find out, finding bad things, and then making that already existing fear worse, and demolishing the curiosity.

Werbung:
I will definitely agree with you on the psychological aspect. But there's also the curiosity predisposition. We may see things that are different or unknown as a threat, but we will also want to know what it's like, as well. I think that probably feeds into trying to find out, finding bad things, and then making that already existing fear worse, and demolishing the curiosity.
Very good point! The human brain is simultaneously drawn toward novelty and away from change. In other words, we want to know more, but we don't want to mess up what we have going to get that knowledge.

People are an inquisitive bunch and they are intrigued by new things and new ideas. At the same time though, we don't like change either so we tend to be caught in a catch 22 situation, we want the new experiences but want to keep things as they are. Sadly, we can't have both...

As a Historian I have to agree with Malcolm Turnbull. The Arab world did save Western learning during the Dark Ages. Some Muslims are less tolerant than others. So are some European.

Islam has not contributed much of anything for 600 years.

Look up what Islam does to non-believers and note that their tolerance includes murder.

Only fools will look at a religion of war and call it a religion of peace.

Regards
DL

I say that it's failed in the city that I live in, simply due to the fact that there's a hatred built up across the different areas of the city. The only 'motive' I have to say that it's failed, is just to point out that different cultures and religions aren't living peacefully alongside each other and there's a them vs us mentality, especially here in the north of England.

I see it failing in many countries where they are now banning certain aspects of Islam. People have just about had enough. Some have banned Islam completely and closed their mosques.

The rest of the West should do the same IMO.

Regards
DL

The reality of multiculturalism has always (and will always) exist. Human cultures are not static. They move and interact with others. The concept of "multiculturalism" (as advocated in modern times) is slowly becoming a catch-all phrase that is slowly losing its significance that it once promised to bring.

I agree. It is not working.

This link speaks of some of the reasons it is not working.

Regards
DL

I think it's due to threat and comfort levels. We're so predisposed to seeing another culture has a threat for whatever reason, due to news and the internet. Back then, the internet didn't exist, and the internet is only half truth. People grow fearful and by default, they stay away from things they do not know, whether or not it is an actual threat.

That is one aspect for sure but there is also the loyalty to ones own aspect.

Our biases are both for the negative and the positive.

Do try to remember the positive bias for our own.

Knowing Islam/Sharia and not taking it as a threat to our freedoms would be a huge mistake. It is anti-democratic and quite immoral.

Regards
DL

People are an inquisitive bunch and they are intrigued by new things and new ideas. At the same time though, we don't like change either so we tend to be caught in a catch 22 situation, we want the new experiences but want to keep things as they are. Sadly, we can't have both...

We recognize positive change and adopt them readily enough.

Islam, to a moral person, does not offer positive change unless you wish to give up the freedoms that the West has won for itself.

Regards
DL

Islam is the fastest growing major religion today. Look at the prayer rooms in airports and railway stations throughout the world.
Islam countries introduce a large part of Mathematics. It save Western learning during the Dark Ages.

Islam is the fastest growing major religion today. Look at the prayer rooms in airports and railway stations throughout the world.
Islam countries introduce a large part of Mathematics. It save Western learning during the Dark Ages.

I disagree on your view of history while recognizing that they did more for medicine than math.

The fastest growing demography is non-belief, not Islam, although they show growth because they reproduce quite quickly.

You have to almost be born into Islam to be able to stomach its homophobia and misogyny and their barbaric stoning and beheading policies.

Only sick minds will convert to Islam.

Regards
DL

Very good point! The human brain is simultaneously drawn toward novelty and away from change. In other words, we want to know more, but we don't want to mess up what we have going to get that knowledge.
Exactly :] All of this affecting it makes this kind of subject a really rough one to deal with.

That is one aspect for sure but there is also the loyalty to ones own aspect.

Our biases are both for the negative and the positive.

Do try to remember the positive bias for our own.

Knowing Islam/Sharia and not taking it as a threat to our freedoms would be a huge mistake. It is anti-democratic and quite immoral.

Regards
DL
That's a good point, we are likely to see it as a threat. However, I disagree that it would be a mistake, other than the fact that it makes us cautious, which I do agree we should be. I don't think it's just because of Islam/Sharia in particular, but more due to the past we unfortunately share. I am a bit curious as to how it is immoral, however.

I do understand that not all Muslims are radical terrorists but there's a percentage that are. On top of that there's also a percentage who even though don't take part in these acts, they protect and sympathise with those that do, and we've no way of knowing how many that is.

In the UK, the government want the religious schools that are found in Muslim communities to be inspected just like all the other schools are, that of course hasn't gone down well. The Muslim clerics and preachers won't open the doors and let the authorities see what they are teaching, but if there's nothing to hide then why not?

We recognize positive change and adopt them readily enough.

Islam, to a moral person, does not offer positive change unless you wish to give up the freedoms that the West has won for itself.

Regards
DL

Another issue is that people don't know enough about Islam to be able to decide for themselves if it's a so called religion of peace or not.

There isn't a middle ground, people aren't able to get a Muslims perspective without them having their own agenda. The Muslims that do speak to the media are either trying to convince people it's not full of radical extremists and IS aren't Muslim, or they're trying to justify what IS are doing.

I haven't heard one person say these are the facts, now go and judge for yourselves.

Werbung:
That's a good point, we are likely to see it as a threat. However, I disagree that it would be a mistake, other than the fact that it makes us cautious, which I do agree we should be. I don't think it's just because of Islam/Sharia in particular, but more due to the past we unfortunately share. I am a bit curious as to how it is immoral, however.

Both Islam and Christianity are immoral creeds as they do not live by the Golden Rule.

They both discriminate negatively against gays and women.

God is all about equality and neither religion practices reciprocity.

That is her on earth. After death they continue to straddle God with their immoral beliefs by having him create a heaven and a hell.
How can we possibly all be equal when the vast majority will end in hell?

Those are immoral notions and that is why Gnostic Christians like me are Universalists.

Please have a quick look at the last couple of posts at this link to see how Universalism is the only moral position for any God, if they were real.

http://forums.liveleak.com/showthread.php?p=2203570#post2203570

Regards
DL

Back