Is feminism getting misandric?

Brandon

I recently stumbled upon a web site called I Blame The Patriarchy. After skimming through pages of comments, I came to a conclusion. These women really really hate men.

I don't know were this anger comes from but I can give a list of ideas that I think are the cause of these women's frustration.
  • Rape - Women who have been raped and are over-generalizing that ALL men not just the one that raped her are assholes.
  • Feminist Pride - Women who are so caught up in the 'independence' of being a women that they refuse to do anything for men, even if men ask nicely and not in a chauvinist manner.
  • Lack of Understanding of Men - Maybe these women have no clue as to what makes men tick and are so self-rightous that they immediately go to anger and resentment.
  • They Are Unattractive - The shallow arguement, but humans (both male and female) are driven to a certain extent by looks and physical attraction. Maybe these women are unattractive and feel angered by men not giving them a second look.
I even came across some comments about why men suck.
  • One was about the "fact" that men are assholes because they stared provocatively at the woman.
  • Another was that men are "creatures" for thinking about their sex drive, while the writer clammored on about masturbating with sex toys.
I am not saying that men are without problems (far from it). It just looks as if these women are extremely hostile and bitter. In the process of behaving this way towards men, certain men are not going to cater to their sensibilities. In doing so, makes these women hate men even more so.

I can understand the wage gap issue, the glass ceiling, objectification, etc... but blind hatred only makes these women look crazy at best.

What are your thoughts on this, the website and feminism in general?

Werbung:
I was under the impression that feminism as of the recent decades has become distorted into something that cannot be taken seriously. Also, one of the notable offshoots of the feminist movement seems to be a retrograde movement into "raunch culture" where discarding value has turned into an almost counter-cultural flaunting: women deliberately portraying themselves in the very chauvinistic light they wanted destroy in the first place.

As somebody who is personally rather gender blind, I can acknowledge the use of correlating gender with sex but also would like to emphasise its limited significance.

P.S. I get in my mind the image of Ms. Barch, the bitter divorcee teacher from the series Daria- she has such a hate-on for men that it's obviously a parody but really, I am not surprised at all that this is not only a reality, but a growing reality at that.

As a woman, I can tell you that not all women are this way. Okay, breathe that sigh of relief guys.

There are some feminists who go so far as to say that there is no such thing as consensual sex between a man and a woman since men are inevitably in a power position and that makes it rape. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure I've had some reeeaaallly consensual situations.

In my experiences, it has been the women who is in control of sex. She gets to decide if and when she wants to (excluding rape of course). Men can try and butter her up but in the end if she doesn't want to, she doesn't.

So I don't see the "power position" feminists claim men have over women.

i don't know....

I have read some stuff from feminists (even radical feminists) that i thought was good and did make me think....

Some of the problems may come from looking at something in a certain perspective that one goes blind to reality but that can occur with anything. I do think feminists can give some good critiques though and thus should not be ignored.

Also blind hatred is not a good thing either of anyone though in many cases that only harms the person with the hatred and not the person they hate.

I did look at the page last night and really didn't care much either way. maybe because i didn't take it extremely seriously or maybe because i have read stuff on other websites (not relating to feminism) that made the conversation their seem bland (including a thread the other day where a commenter started giving death threats against leftists).

I recently stumbled upon a web site called I Blame The Patriarchy. After skimming through pages of comments, I came to a conclusion. These women really really hate men.

I don't know were this anger comes from but I can give a list of ideas that I think are the cause of these women's frustration.
  • Rape - Women who have been raped and are over-generalizing that ALL men not just the one that raped her are assholes.
  • Feminist Pride - Women who are so caught up in the 'independence' of being a women that they refuse to do anything for men, even if men ask nicely and not in a chauvinist manner.
  • Lack of Understanding of Men - Maybe these women have no clue as to what makes men tick and are so self-rightous that they immediately go to anger and resentment.
  • They Are Unattractive - The shallow arguement, but humans (both male and female) are driven to a certain extent by looks and physical attraction. Maybe these women are unattractive and feel angered by men not giving them a second look.?
The real issue here is ego. A lot of men have egos that otherwise have a negative effect on people close to them. The same is for a lot of women, but these so-called 'Feminists' are the women who can see through said facades, and in general, are overwhelmed at the search for a man who isn't so egotistical. I'm guessing this is where they get the generalization complex from.

I even came across some comments about why men suck.
  • One was about the "fact" that men are assholes because they stared provocatively at the woman.
  • Another was that men are "creatures" for thinking about their sex drive, while the writer clammored on about masturbating with sex toys.?
Now, that just cracks me up. I am a very respectful individual, with a good head on my shoulders, and it's nearly impossible for me to not take a glance at a women's package. It's a sex drive that is natural. Nature intended for us to mate and have children, so it's only reasonable. Why do you think we age? Because we have a period in life, where we raise children, and see them through until they are mature, and our body gradually starts to shut down. (Scientists are saying that in the future, we will live to be 150 years old by cheating nature. I'll have to dig up the article, but it was very interesting.)

I am not saying that men are without problems (far from it). It just looks as if these women are extremely hostile and bitter. In the process of behaving this way towards men, certain men are not going to cater to their sensibilities. In doing so, makes these women hate men even more so.?

Women are women. Men are men. Opposites attract, what can I say

Not all the time George! Let's not get too simplistic here.

Actually that's what I think the problem is here. Mass projection on a simplification. It's a common phenomenon.

I think the problem here is that some people have their heads shoved firmly in their butts. Not every feminist feels the way these nut jobs do. Groups like this one seem to feed into the extremist mentality that is so easy to join into nowadays. People who have been victimized in some way are quick to jump on the bandwagon of groups of people like this in some situations simply because of the fact that they feel empowered by the tenacity of the whole.
Sadly, many men seem to think that all feminists fall into the same category as the creators of this site, and that is simply not true.

Actually, it's one woman putting her personal opinions, experiences and frustrations in her blog. I would guess the people making comments are both male and female and mostly bloggers themselves, but that's just a guess based on years of reading blog comments. I suspect she actually does have extreme feminist beliefs but her tongue is also firmly in her cheek. She writes beautifully, she's funny, and she's making some interesting points. Thanks for the link.

That could be true, and if so in this case it'd be a matter of interpretation and different perspectives yielding different results.

However! There are definitely sections of feminist movements that ARE getting misandric as a reaction against the post-feminist era. I see flyers on the university hall walls about it and they're loud, plain and angry alright. Then there's the books on such that I've flipped through. I would say it is a reality- although as our female counterparts on this forum :)P) have stated, it's not a generalised one.

Dong, I would say that as a member of feminist organizations who are nothing like the ones you are citing... they are generalizations.

I just looked at the title of this thread again. It's kind of interesting that men with strong critical opinions of women aren't usually labled misogynistic. We wait until there's some serious manifestaion of hatred before doing that. Just something to consider.

I just looked at the title of this thread again. It's kind of interesting that men with strong critical opinions of women aren't usually labled misogynistic. We wait until there's some serious manifestaion of hatred before doing that. Just something to consider.

I see most of the posts on this site as labeling men as idiots, assholes, scumbags, etc... I hardly consider these worthy opinions. You cannot reason with the majority of the women on that site. Their hatred of men run so deep that men will never be able to get a word in edge wise.

Werbung:
I must agree with Brandon on this one, regarding the feminists linked in this thread.

Back