Iran deal vs. North Korea deal

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing that the same people who trashed the Iran deal are now celebrating the vague deal with North Korea.

Lets see:
  • Iran deal: countless verifications, compliance measures to held off Iran from violating it
  • NK deal: No definition. No details. No timeline. No prohibition of nuclear tests.
What a gigantic success story. O wait. What a gigantic PR nonsense.

Werbung:
Amazing that the same people who trashed the Iran deal are now celebrating the vague deal with North Korea.

Lets see:
  • Iran deal: countless verifications, compliance measures to held off Iran from violating it
  • NK deal: No definition. No details. No timeline. No prohibition of nuclear tests.
What a gigantic success story. O wait. What a gigantic PR nonsense.

The Iran verification regime is pretty weak. For example there are long notification times to inspect sites (can be as long as 54 days), long dispute resolution processes that just drag on and on, Iran actually provides their own soil samples on some occasions to inspectors who are not even at the site, they defy the JCPOA and UNSC Resolutions by conducting ballistic missile tests...the list goes on and on. If you say its "better than nothing" that is true - but to claim the Iran deal really has verification with teeth is a gross misrepresentation of reality.

In terms of North Korea - there isn't really anything but talk at this point. There are some vague promises of "denuclearization" with no discussion of how to get there etc. North Korea has a long history of making promises and then going back on them. I remain skeptical of this and will wait to see what happens going forward - when things actually matter.

The Iran verification regime is pretty weak. For example there are long notification times to inspect sites (can be as long as 54 days), long dispute resolution processes that just drag on and on, Iran actually provides their own soil samples on some occasions to inspectors who are not even at the site, they defy the JCPOA and UNSC Resolutions by conducting ballistic missile tests...the list goes on and on. If you say its "better than nothing" that is true - but to claim the Iran deal really has verification with teeth is a gross misrepresentation of reality.

In terms of North Korea - there isn't really anything but talk at this point. There are some vague promises of "denuclearization" with no discussion of how to get there etc. North Korea has a long history of making promises and then going back on them. I remain skeptical of this and will wait to see what happens going forward - when things actually matter.
Yes NK it s suspect but trump has already demonstrated he will deal with shortcomings with vigor. Something no president has done.

mght be dictators but they are popula rand should win the next election. THis peace deal with Korea should ensure Trump election for a second term and More Important might bring peace

mght be dictators but they are popula rand should win the next election. THis peace deal with Korea should ensure Trump election for a second term and More Important might bring peace
Yes, if, and that's a big if, NK actually begins to get rid of its nukes. So far, the agreement lacks any sort of details.

Yes, if, and that's a big if, NK actually begins to get rid of its nukes. So far, the agreement lacks any sort of details.
True but all the heat is on Kim to deliver or seal a fate he does not want. No other president has managed to do that.
Peace with Kim or peace without him, it all works for me.

True but all the heat is on Kim to deliver or seal a fate he does not want. No other president has managed to do that.
Peace with Kim or peace without him, it all works for me.
Agreed. I care not at all about the well being of that little murderous dictator, but about world peace. I still have my doubts that Trump can bring about a denuclearization of NK, but let's hope he can bring about a miracle. I'd even give him kudos if he could do that.

But, Un and his predecessors have said theu're for getting rid of nukes before. I keep thinking of Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football.

Agreed. I care not at all about the well being of that little murderous dictator, but about world peace. I still have my doubts that Trump can bring about a denuclearization of NK, but let's hope he can bring about a miracle. I'd even give him kudos if he could do that.

But, Un and his predecessors have said theu're for getting rid of nukes before. I keep thinking of Charlie Brown, Lucy, and the football.
Of course they have and they were allowed to without consequence. They got conned by not Particularly good conmen.
And when this one tries it, and yes I do expect him to try, he will get one very public reminder before things start blowing up. Foremost of which will be his abode.

Of course they have and they were allowed to without consequence. They got conned by not Particularly good conmen.
And when this one tries it, and yes I do expect him to try, he will get one very public reminder before things start blowing up. Foremost of which will be his abode.
You think so?
Maybe you're right. Kim Jung Un was able to con others, but won't be able to con a conman. Maybe there is an upside to electing a conman to the presidency.

You think so?
Maybe you're right. Kim Jung Un was able to con others, but won't be able to con a conman. Maybe there is an upside to electing a conman to the presidency.
Diplomats are not that great at dealing with the unscrupulous. Trump may not get everything right but pols have g ok ten is into the mess we a re in, needed a change of paradigm in the worst kind of way.

Werbung:
I agree with Rob. What we have her are two leaders, who are known for not doing what they said they are going to do, trying to create a vague future. The whole thing can suddenly veer in another direction by a puff flatulence from a 140 character tweet. Right now the only dependable significance of the meeting is a simple howdy doo.

Back