In Defense of Capitalism & Free Markets

GenSeneca

Capitalism as a political and social doctrine is respect for individual rights. Unlike the typical perception of Capitalism as total Anarchy, Capitalism requires a strong government that is strictly limited to its only moral, ethical and just purpose for existence; Protecting individual rights. This means protecting every individual from force and fraud.

Any social policy or system that violates individual rights is not Capitalism.

Free Markets are a necessary corollary to Capitalism as an economic system. Free Markets are free of; Government regulations, subsidies, bailouts, etc. The only limits placed on Free Markets in a Capitalist system are those that protect individuals from force and fraud.

Any Market policy or system that isn't limited to protecting individual rights, is not a Free Market.

When I have challenged people to defend their views in other threads, they immediately, and instinctively, chose instead to try to attack mine... As if that were a legitimate tactic which actually provided a defense of their positions. So here it is, your chance to attack my positions while I defend them.

I know there are plenty of Anti-Capitalists out there, eager to blame every conceivable ill of society on Capitalism and Free Markets, so here's your chance... Take your best shot.

Werbung:
Then, very clearly, the US has never been a capitalist nation. Capitalism, as practiced by the US, has meant the government serves the purposes of the propertied classes. The only salient question would seem to be if that is what the founding fathers intended. Using the government to further one's personal economic agenda is not capitalism, GenSeneca, or is it?

Using the government to further one's personal economic agenda is not capitalism, GenSeneca, or is it?
No, it is not... Yet people like you blame Capitalism, rather than government, when such examples arise.

The only salient question would seem to be if that is what the founding fathers intended.
According to our Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...

If government had actually been limited in it's powers to securing our rights, then indeed we would have been the very first, purely Capitalist nation in history.

It's strange that when I ask people to defend their positions they respond by attacking my support of Capitalism yet when I start a thread with the expressed purpose of defending my support of Capitalism, you can't find these people with a search warrant.

I would love to see someone open up a thread and defend their support of a mixed economy... Of course that would result in people attacking Capitalism.

Given their absence, if anyone would like to learn more about how Capitalism and/or Free Markets work, please feel free to ask me any questions, or voice any concerns, you might have regarding the issue. I would appreciate the opportunity.

Thought I should bump this thread again so that the anti-capitalists can explain how capitalism and free markets have created so many problems in America.

Any social policy or system that violates individual rights is not Capitalism.

Free Markets are a necessary corollary to Capitalism as an economic system. Free Markets are free of; Government regulations, $ub$idie$, bailouts, etc. The only limits placed on Free Markets in a Capitalist system are those that protect individuals from force and fraud.
...Kinda like health-in$urance companie$....RIGHT??!!!!

"Requires Medicare to negotiate with drug companies: reduce confusion, and money saved could eliminate $ub$idie$ to insurance companies and close the donut hole."
May 15, 2007

"Barack Obama, while campaigning in Iowa, has spoken out against the Medicare Advantage plans. Medicare Advantage is part one of the corporate welfare provisions in George Bush’s Medicare plan which provides $ub$idie$ to insurance companieshttp://liberalvaluesblog.com/2007/05/15/obama-blasts-medicare-advantage-plans/ to treat Medicare patients."

...Kinda like health-in$urance companie$....RIGHT??!!!!

There are no subsidies under Capitalism or in a Free Market. It is only under a "Mixed" economy, or a controlled economy, that such things as subsidies exist.

Are you now ready to renounce your support of the "Mixed" economy and support Capitalism?

What do you think the first taxes were like, when the country was founded? I thought that land owners were the only one who paid taxes and voted but I could be wrong.

Also, what would be considered a fair tax under a pure capitolism rule?

Then, very clearly, the US has never been a capitalist nation. Capitalism, as practiced by the US, has meant the government serves the purposes of the propertied classes. The only salient question would seem to be if that is what the founding fathers intended. Using the government to further one's personal economic agenda is not capitalism, GenSeneca, or is it?

That's not accurate. Property rights are well and good, but there are plenty of rights that are not attached to property ownership.

What do you think the first taxes were like, when the country was founded?
Minimal, because the Constitution was followed and the government was limited in its size and scope of operation.

what would be considered a fair tax under a pure capitolism rule?
The Fair Tax - WITHOUT PREBATES - would certainly be the ideal but the Flat Tax would come in a close second.

The Fair Tax would require a repeal of the 16th amendment and there is NOT A CHANCE IN HELL I would trust the current group of politicians in Washington to hold the necessary Constitutional Convention for it's repeal... They would "CHANGE" the constitution to institutionalize their ideal of an unlimited federal government.

Werbung:
In theory, that kind of system could work. But in practise, let us observe what happens: first, there is an economy of happy little smalll bussinesses and free people. Soon, a few people get super-rich as thier bussinesses grow. Those people look for more ways to make money, and soon relize that making the maximum profit would require violating freedoms. So, they take over the government and control the people, which is the point we are at now.

Back